Trail Conditions for Calgarians

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Trail Conditions for Calgarians
Posted: Jul 10, 2013 at 20:40 Quote
For anyone who hasnt seen it, here is a video of the flood damage to the bridge over the elbow on the way to Moose.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aq1aL9F-22c

Posted: Jul 10, 2013 at 20:42 Quote
I know that someone said it before but I'll say it again, please don't go riding or hiking in Exshaw at this time. Many residents are still severely flood impacted and it is incredibly hurtful for them to see people recreating there when they still need help with clean-up and restoration.

Posted: Jul 10, 2013 at 21:34 Quote
Here is the Damage to Allen Bill Pond next to Moose Mountain. It now doesnt exist anymore...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmz-vO67PCs&feature=youtu.be

Posted: Jul 10, 2013 at 22:34 Quote
North Bragg Creek Trails on Wednesday night - trails in generally excellent shape

Tons of cars along the road but maybe passed five parties - trails seem to handle the people well.

Bugs were moderately bad; no trace of horses.

Posted: Jul 11, 2013 at 7:42 Quote
2 laps up and down pano last night, let it ride/ mercy me/ hells bells then rocking ho/ lookout for good times. 1:50 and 2500ft of climbing.

new pump track is pretty sweet.

Posted: Jul 11, 2013 at 9:40 Quote
srm238 wrote:
Here is the Damage to Allen Bill Pond next to Moose Mountain. It now doesnt exist anymore...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmz-vO67PCs&feature=youtu.be
Woah!!! What happened to the fingers of your gloves!!

Posted: Jul 11, 2013 at 14:33 Quote
Highway 40 reopened to the winter gate, along with a lot of the backcountry: http://www.albertaparks.ca/kananaskis-country/advisories-public-safety/kananaskis-closed-areas-%28including-highways%29.aspx and http://alberta.ca/acn/201307/34579CF3BEEF1-ABC3-8C92-08A1099F07FB1C08.html. Smith-Dorrien road to open July 12th.

Posted: Jul 12, 2013 at 0:23 Quote
final bridge to west bragg parking lot is open.

Posted: Jul 12, 2013 at 6:52 Quote
Rode Special K last night. No real damage, the steeps definitely rockier and a bit of erosion ditching. You might want to take it a little easy first time down. Or not. Riding up Moosepackers was a real nostalgia moment.

Kudos to all the good work on K, especially the berms on the reroute.

Rode back out via Ridgeback to the road and West Bragg. Had a notion to find Bobcat and see if I could ride/push to Ranger and down Strange Brew, but didn't find the junction. Didn't go far enough down Tom Snow, assuming that Bobcat has even been pushed through all the way. That is going to be a stellar loop when it is done.

Special K really has it all - steeps, roots and rocks, tight twisty singletrack and fast flow with berms. Should satisfy any rider, new skool or old.

Posted: Jul 12, 2013 at 8:50 Quote
fargle wrote:
Rode Special K last night. No real damage, the steeps definitely rockier and a bit of erosion ditching. You might want to take it a little easy first time down. Or not. Riding up Moosepackers was a real nostalgia moment.

Rode back out via Ridgeback to the road and West Bragg. Had a notion to find Bobcat and see if I could ride/push to Ranger and down Strange Brew, but didn't find the junction. Didn't go far enough down Tom Snow, assuming that Bobcat has even been pushed through all the way. That is going to be a stellar loop when it is done.

Special K really has it all - steeps, roots and rocks, tight twisty singletrack and fast flow with berms. Should satisfy any rider, new skool or old.

Yesterday I rode Bobcat from Ranger Summit as far as the trail went. It stops about 100m past a junction that goes to the Fullerton Loop.

Posted: Jul 12, 2013 at 9:54 Quote
Haywood-Jablomi wrote:
fargle wrote:

Yesterday I rode Bobcat from Ranger Summit as far as the trail went. It stops about 100m past a junction that goes to the Fullerton Loop.

Thanks. Good to know. Guess I better pony up a donation to the GBCTA. Or maybe a CMBA-GBCTA voly trail-building day? I'd be up for that. The sooner the trail networks are joined with sweet singletrack the better.

Posted: Jul 12, 2013 at 9:54 Quote
fargle wrote:

Absolutely that is probably the most pure dh run on the mountain, then you get the real test after the downhill is through pedaling back to station flats on the big bike (if your shuttling that is). Then it feels like Special 10KSmile

Posted: Jul 12, 2013 at 10:25 Quote
Looks like a bunch of K country that was closed is now open. Prairie View looks good to go. among other things

http://www.albertaparks.ca/kananaskis-country/advisories-public-safety/kananaskis-closed-areas-%28including-highways%29.aspx

Posted: Jul 12, 2013 at 12:31 Quote
OK. I went on a longish ride yesterday to survey trail damage and have a good time. Here is a report with some pics:

-Ranger Summit/Sugar Mama: Perfect.

-Allen Bill Pond is no more.

-Lower Sulphur: Some erosion but nothing bad.

-Down to Canyon Creek: Bad erosion. No fun going down and no longer rideable climbing up.Canyon Creek is now 150-200' wide and dry.

-Elbow Connector: Erosion and new gravel sections and some ruts. The steep rooted grunt climb after the Ing road is not rideable as of now.

-Powderface has the creek coming down the trail before the creek crossing and again by the gate. Otherwise, pretty decent to the junction. PF above the junction up to the ridge was rockier and the erosion gullys deeper.

-Powderface Ridge: Erosion more at the bottom. Lots of redistributed gravel. Pretty crappy. It was better the higher I went. Still breathtaking views.

-Powderface DH to the Prairie Creek connector trail: Awesome. I was expecting the worst and it was fun. Sure there were some scars, but fast and fun.

-Prairie Creek: Silt and some erosion but not bad. The creek cut a wide path through that meadow. The bridge from the PF connector looked 100% good.

-Prairie Creek from the junction had some more damage. The trail is wiped out in a few spots before the steep climb to the lookout and once more in the rooty section before the road.

-Upper Sulphur: Up the switchbacks was pretty good. Some erosion but all the trail work diverted most of the water.

-Pneuma was perfect.

-Special K was a bit intense for a 44 yr old XC guy but I was smiling after the first section.

Finished off climbing up Tom Snow to coast back to West Bragg.

Construction was hard at replacing the HWY 66 bridge with something temporary.

Sorry for the long post. Thought some guys and gals would want to see how the landscape has changed.

Posted: Jul 12, 2013 at 12:39 Quote
Thanks for the update! the guys working on the bridge at west bragg said maybe 1-2 weeks if all goes well for the 66 to be finished.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2014. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv16 0.020927
Mobile Version of Website