Bring back the Enduro! (Post your Specialized Enduros)

PB Forum :: Post Your Ride
Bring back the Enduro! (Post your Specialized Enduros)
Posted: Jan 4, 2016 at 7:20 Quote
I also have an offset bushing in my tool chest.
I don't use it because:
1, Even if it makes a difference, I couldn't tell riding the bike. (You can only fit one in an Enduro frame)
2, I don't have the opportunity to use my bike to it's potential so it doesn't make sense to slacken it out. (This is the only reason I'm considering selling the E29 and buying a 130-140mm trail bike)

I wouldn't be worried about the additional stress. Like I said, difference is so marginal. IMO it wouldn't compensate for the longer fork. However if you ride park for example maybe it makes sense to go longer travel. Offset bushings are such a cheap investment that it's worth experimenting with it. I was more concerned about the changes it makes in the leverage ratio than the addition stress on the frame.

Again, any options we are discussing here will only make a small change in the bikes behavior, nothing dramatic, so don't let that put you off. It's just my opinion and most likely we aren't in the same situation. You could look at some pro enduro riders going with 180mm forks on their 160mm bikes on the other side of the spectrum. (It may be that in their case they have also altered the suspension links to compensate for the longer fork, who knows)

So many possibilities... Best to ask someone who has actually done it and you trust his opinion.

Posted: Jan 4, 2016 at 7:59 Quote
jskiff wrote:
gapos999 wrote:
toronte wrote:
If they haven't changed their policy, 170mm is still within the warranty limit. IMO however Enduro's don't have low BB and a higher axle-to-crown height would bring it up to an undesired level. (it's around 351mm stock) That's just me though.

+1 to that!
If you do change to 170mm fork you might want to use an offset bushing on the the rear shock in order to compensate the BB height.

I use an offset bushing on mine (without changing the fork) just in order to slacken the head angle and lower the BB.
I'm very satisfied with it.

with the increased fork length would this not result in slackening the head angle too much and potentially putting additional stress on the frame?

Or running 10psi less in the shock? That would slacken it out more. You guys are worrying way too much about this. They design bike frames to be way stronger than most of us would ever need anyway.

Posted: Jan 4, 2016 at 9:38 Quote
bikerboywill wrote:
Or running 10psi less in the shock? That would slacken it out more. You guys are worrying way too much about this. They design bike frames to be way stronger than most of us would ever need anyway.

Totally agree, however Enduros are so linear that it could easily cause unwanted rear end behaviour. Going through the travel too fast, bottoming out too easily. The latter doesn't do any good to the shock either.

Posted: Jan 4, 2016 at 9:41 Quote
But that has nothing to do with fork length. If your bottoming out too easily then pump you shock up harder or decrease the air volume.

Posted: Jan 4, 2016 at 9:48 Quote
You just recommended that he could put 10 psi less in his shock. I just reflected on that statement.

Posted: Jan 4, 2016 at 9:55 Quote
Ahh, no I didn't mean actually do that. I just meant people are worried about slackening their bikes out too much by adding 10mm to the forks but running more sag in your shock would have the same effect. Basically just do what you want but just remember specialized probably know best about how much travel should be run

Posted: Jan 4, 2016 at 10:17 Quote
Half a degree (going 160->170mm would actually be even less) slacker isn't a thing to be worried about at all. Agree with you on that.

It's just that I feel like the Enduro could do with a bit less than a 351mm BB height and would hug the ground more, corner better. I feel like 340ish would be ideal for this bike, for my riding style, where I ride. So that's just for me. It looks like the trend is going in this direction. If you look at the Evil Insurgent for example, that bike has a 342mm BB in the high setting and 331 in the low setting for 150mm of travel. Nomad 340mm. Warden 345,5/337. Mojo HD3, Spartan and so on...I quite like this approach.

Me, I have a Corset air can on my Fox CTD shock running at about 30,5-31,5% sag with a medium volume reducer. It puts me right where I want it. Awesome setup. Stays in the middle of travel, doesn't bottom out, only big, flat landings. Would recommend it to all running a Fox shocks on their Enduro. Real plush, coil like as stated. So the high sag brings my BB closer to the ground when on the bike as it would be with 25% sag on the stock shock. Win-win. (still no pedal strikes)

Posted: Jan 4, 2016 at 10:37 Quote
You could use a eccentric bottom bracket to lower the bb height without affecting anything else.

Posted: Jan 4, 2016 at 10:58 Quote
Whoa, didn't know that exsist. Thanks! I'll be on the lookout once the bearings need replacement.

edit: I had a look at one of those. Doesn't it interfere with the chain line? I mean it could cause some issues since the clearence on a top chain guide is quite tight.

Posted: Jan 5, 2016 at 0:17 Quote
toronte wrote:
Half a degree (going 160->170mm would actually be even less) slacker isn't a thing to be worried about at all. Agree with you on that.

It's just that I feel like the Enduro could do with a bit less than a 351mm BB height and would hug the ground more, corner better. I feel like 340ish would be ideal for this bike, for my riding style, where I ride. So that's just for me. It looks like the trend is going in this direction. If you look at the Evil Insurgent for example, that bike has a 342mm BB in the high setting and 331 in the low setting for 150mm of travel. Nomad 340mm. Warden 345,5/337. Mojo HD3, Spartan and so on...I quite like this approach.

Me, I have a Corset air can on my Fox CTD shock running at about 30,5-31,5% sag with a medium volume reducer. It puts me right where I want it. Awesome setup. Stays in the middle of travel, doesn't bottom out, only big, flat landings. Would recommend it to all running a Fox shocks on their Enduro. Real plush, coil like as stated. So the high sag brings my BB closer to the ground when on the bike as it would be with 25% sag on the stock shock. Win-win. (still no pedal strikes)

toronte, I have the exactly same setup on the rear (+an offset bushing)
Do you mind if iask what is your weight and the psi you use?
Me being 80kg I use 215-220 psi

Posted: Jan 5, 2016 at 2:36 Quote
I weigh around 78kg without equipment and run it ~180-185 psi with a medium spacer, fast rebound (0-3 clicks from open). 29er. 650b has a higher leverage ratio, I believe those should run a little higher.
I also had my original Corset replaced for the one specifically developed for the Spesh Enduro. On my old 2012 bike with the original Corset I ran a lot higher pressures (~280psi if I remember correctly).

Posted: Jan 5, 2016 at 2:54 Quote
toronte wrote:
I weigh around 78kg without equipment and run it ~180-185 psi with a medium spacer, fast rebound (0-3 clicks from open). 29er. 650b has a higher leverage ratio, I believe those should run a little higher.
I also had my original Corset replaced for the one specifically developed for the Spesh Enduro. On my old 2012 bike with the original Corset I ran a lot higher pressures (~280psi if I remember correctly).

Yeah I have also the Corset for the Spesh Enduro .
I'm on a 29er too, but I do jump 20ft (5-8m) regularly with it so I use a little more air preassure.
Killer bike.
Cheers

Posted: Jan 6, 2016 at 9:15 Quote
I weigh around 85kg run it at 220 psi normal fox float on enduro expert carbon 29er

Posted: Jan 27, 2016 at 2:39 Quote
Happiness is a stable of S-WORKS

photo

Posted: Jan 27, 2016 at 4:16 Quote
what u doin with 2 enduros?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.021078
Mobile Version of Website