What is too light for a dh bike?

PB Forum :: Downhill
What is too light for a dh bike?
Posted: Nov 4, 2007 at 13:06 Quote
4mr2thc0 wrote:
jonlake wrote:
so your throwing a bunch of ultra light weight XC race parts on a 7" FR frame and hoping it will last....It won't but your not listing to anyone else, so can we at least see some pics of what you have so far?

XC parts on a DH/FR bike, i cant even fathom the thought of such a thing, sure it might be light but it sure as hell wont be able to take the abuse... i smell critical failure Mid-run...just my thoughts, happy trails.

Some of those parts barely even qualify as XC. I doubt I'd feel comfortable with 'em on my cross-country bike.

...but it has a Boxxer WC, so everything will be fine, right?

Posted: Nov 4, 2007 at 13:10 Quote
i think he'd gonna realize the WC is over kill for DH and get the new Sid.

Posted: Nov 4, 2007 at 13:43 Quote
Well if you used a trials bike for a DH bike, that would be to light, as I established yesterday, ridng the fort william DH track!

Posted: Nov 4, 2007 at 13:55 Quote
I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but you cannot run road shifters on flat bars. The Sram red's are road shifter/brake levers. You aren't using canti brakes and drop bars so that is the most pointless thing I have ever heard. Use X-O and don't worry about the extra 1/3 of a pound. Also, get some Industry Nine enduro's. They are 1800 grams and strong as piss. Best wheels I own by far! Let me know how many feet you make it down the trail before you explode your hub flange if you run the 1400 gram wheels you are talking about.

Posted: Nov 4, 2007 at 14:08 Quote
its a strange idea... but you you not be sneaky.. i mean weight/ mass, is all about the earths gravitational pull on an object, and thats vareid depending where you are ( the moon/ the earth) BUT could you not do something crazy like put nitrogen in the tires instead of air? its lighter than air, and would provide "uplift" as such? so would not lower the rotational mass/ the overall bike weight? + get all the benefits of lower roational mass??

any ideas?

Posted: Nov 4, 2007 at 14:14 Quote
charlesdavid17 wrote:
its a strange idea... but you you not be sneaky.. i mean weight/ mass, is all about the earths gravitational pull on an object, and thats vareid depending where you are ( the moon/ the earth) BUT could you not do something crazy like put nitrogen in the tires instead of air? its lighter than air, and would provide "uplift" as such? so would not lower the rotational mass/ the overall bike weight? + get all the benefits of lower roational mass??

any ideas?

Air is 78% nitrogen and nitrogen is 97% as dense as air.

Hydrogen or helium could work, but they'd only save a few grams and the former is explosive with the latter would leak through the tire and tube in a couple of hours.

Weighing the bike on the moon would help, but would cost more than getting some staggeringly expensive, strong and light parts made.

Posted: Nov 4, 2007 at 14:26 Quote
helium even... sorry long day lol ah well i allways wonderd

Posted: Nov 4, 2007 at 17:41 Quote
nicket8t wrote:
I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but you cannot run road shifters on flat bars. The Sram red's are road shifter/brake levers. You aren't using canti brakes and drop bars so that is the most pointless thing I have ever heard. Use X-O and don't worry about the extra 1/3 of a pound. Also, get some Industry Nine enduro's. They are 1800 grams and strong as piss. Best wheels I own by far! Let me know how many feet you make it down the trail before you explode your hub flange if you run the 1400 gram wheels you are talking about.

ha! i said that on the first page, but no one seemed to notice...

you said you ran rhinolites as a trials rim... i personally love rhinolite xls, mainly because they are very strong for their weight and price... i even ran them on my old dh/fr bike with NO tension in the spokes (because some dumbass built them with spokes that were too long, so they had all bottomed out in the knipples) and they were still true after 10+ days of thrashing. but those wheels will not survive a season of dh abuse... i will bet you my badly built rhinolites it... unless you are a pussy and take the green runs down all the time, but then why have a gemini with a boxxer wc?

O+ FL
Posted: Nov 4, 2007 at 23:42 Quote
and as for the whole thing about the road shifter/lever combo LEARN THE PRODUCTS before commenting, they are trigger shifters for the 10 speed derailleurs. They are designed for flat bars so go look on srams website and see and stop posting nonesense if you do not know what you are talking about

Posted: Nov 4, 2007 at 23:50 Quote
skennedy1011 wrote:
and as for the whole thing about the road shifter/lever combo LEARN THE PRODUCTS before commenting, they are trigger shifters for the 10 speed derailleurs. They are designed for flat bars so go look on srams website and see and stop posting nonesense if you do not know what you are talking about

I just looked at sram's website, and you know what? the sram red shifters are just like normal road bike shifters. Now who needs to learn the products before they post?

O+ FL
Posted: Nov 5, 2007 at 0:07 Quote
look under non-series products when did i ever say they were sram red? ireferred to them as sram double tap. They are 250$CAN and weigh 225 grams for the pair.

Posted: Nov 5, 2007 at 0:18 Quote
i take that back, i didn't look at the original post. I looked at someone else's comment. now i look like a fool because i was lazy

Posted: Nov 5, 2007 at 0:28 Quote
I don't think the best way to shop for downhill components is to just scan the weight specs for all products (road and XC included), choose the lightest, then open your wallet really, really wide.

There are variables to consider beyond weight.

Speaking of which, you can save a quarter-pound with Reset pedals. The only place I found them in my quick search was some German store.

Posted: Nov 5, 2007 at 6:14 Quote
they're only 6g lighter than wellgo's mg-52 but they are atleast 300$ more expensive. go wellgo!

Posted: Nov 5, 2007 at 6:34 Quote
-tgr- wrote:
they're only 6g lighter than wellgo's mg-52 but they are atleast 300$ more expensive. go wellgo!

The Resets are 300 grams, your Wellgos are 424 grams. Lot more than 6.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.019268
Mobile Version of Website