Homemade Parts!

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Homemade Parts!
Posted: Nov 4, 2014 at 19:43 Quote
numeros wrote:
Web shop will be up soon, as it being developed.
I am using my facebook webpage to promote so far.
https://XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX/shovelbicycleparts

Marko
Where are you located in Croatia? and also, is it hard to get materials for your products over there?

Posted: Nov 4, 2014 at 23:14 Quote
Hey Nick,

Its pretty hard to get material in here. Its like we are in deep space 9 colony. Nothing goes here and beyond.
I am located in Osijek (Slavonia). Eastern Croatia.

Marko

Posted: Nov 5, 2014 at 2:26 Quote
numeros wrote:
Hey Nick,

Its pretty hard to get material in here. Its like we are in deep space 9 colony. Nothing goes here and beyond.
I am located in Osijek (Slavonia). Eastern Croatia.

Marko
No way! My Dad was born in Senkovac, near Slatina. I visited Croatia two months ago, and it is amazing, but I wish you all the best, because I know that it is still quite hard in a lot of places in Croatia, especially where you are. Where do you get your material from? Imported in?

Posted: Nov 5, 2014 at 4:01 Quote
numeros wrote:
Will test the titanium chainring, and see how it goes.

How do you feel about my new chainguide.
5 mm thick carbon backplate, with some titanium bolts.
140 grams, but will go around 130 grams with full Ti/carbon.
I actually started a small company called "Shovel" for chainguides, bashguards, chainrings and etc.

New technology RTS or Ready to Shred Here is race horse from my factory. With 3 titanium bolts and stainless steel bolts here is lightest DH chain guide on the market. 32-36T chainrings 140 grams lightest on the market. ISCG05 Carbon 5 mm backplate Silent slider Hope you enjoy the pictures
New technology RTS or Ready to Shred Here is race horse from my factory. With 3 titanium bolts and stainless steel bolts here is lightest DH chain guide on the market. 32-36T chainrings 140 grams lightest on the market. ISCG05 Carbon 5 mm backplate Silent slider Hope you enjoy the pictures

numeros - How does the carbon sheets cut, and where do you get them? Double sided tape work good for holding? I am a machinist and built a little CNC machine /router and been meaning to play with it this winter.

Posted: Nov 5, 2014 at 4:31 Quote
twochins wrote:
selway89 wrote:
Thought I would share this mod of mine.

Seems to work well.
Rather than getting a 10speed clutch mech and modifying it for 9 speed. I used my original mech and used an oring and some zip ties.

Pulls back on the lower jockey and has made an improvement in the amount of chain slap i get.
Also helps now I have a Blackspire NW ring up front.

Gehtto 9speed clutch

great idea...how long does it last...or is the oring some exotic material

Lasted a good few months of regular riding. Snapped the other day though and only because i was messing around with it. Oring is from a Crud Catcher front mud guard so nothing special.

Posted: Nov 5, 2014 at 6:51 Quote
selway89 wrote:
twochins wrote:
selway89 wrote:

Seems to work well.
Rather than getting a 10speed clutch mech and modifying it for 9 speed. I used my original mech and used an oring and some zip ties.

Pulls back on the lower jockey and has made an improvement in the amount of chain slap i get.

Gehtto 9speed clutch

Lasted a good few months of regular riding. Snapped the other day though and only because i was messing around with it. Oring is from a Crud Catcher front mud guard so nothing special.
can't find any pictures but people used to do a similar thing with a spring to reduce chainslap

Posted: Nov 6, 2014 at 10:12 Quote
20 years ago you could even buy springs and a kit to do so.
It may work better with an O-ring though, as it offers a bit of dampening.

Magura Smile

Posted: Nov 7, 2014 at 1:07 Quote
selway89 wrote:
twochins wrote:
selway89 wrote:

Seems to work well.

Gehtto 9speed clutch

so there is some trial and error...the tension will increase as you the derailleur moves up to the larger cassette rings...but i guess you want that reversed to have more tension on the lower rings where speeds are greater and the pulley arm is more floppy...but more tension on the lower rings will make shifting to higher rings more difficult?

Posted: Nov 7, 2014 at 7:28 Quote
twochins wrote:
selway89 wrote:
twochins wrote:

so there is some trial and error...the tension will increase as you the derailleur moves up to the larger cassette rings...but i guess you want that reversed to have more tension on the lower rings where speeds are greater and the pulley arm is more floppy...but more tension on the lower rings will make shifting to higher rings more difficult?

I got the tension right first try by shear luck i guess. Slightly harder for the larger sprockets on the cassette yes, but not that bad, in fact gave a positive feel at the shifter. The tension does drop as you work your way down the cassette but still better than nothing at all.

The jockey cage can still move forward when on the smaller sprockets but again possibly by luck that as it stretches under chatter it gets tight enough to noticeably reduce chain slap. Smile

Posted: Nov 7, 2014 at 10:39 Quote
selway89 wrote:
twochins wrote:
selway89 wrote:

I got the tension right first try by shear luck i guess. Slightly harder for the larger sprockets on the cassette yes, but not that bad, in fact gave a positive feel at the shifter. The tension does drop as you work your way down the cassette but still better than nothing at all.

The jockey cage can still move forward when on the smaller sprockets but again possibly by luck that as it stretches under chatter it gets tight enough to noticeably reduce chain slap. Smile
i'll definitely play around with this at some point...thanks for sharing your idea

Posted: Nov 8, 2014 at 19:52 Quote
gabodude wrote:
Hey guys.

This happened: I'm up and running,

Would y'all be so kind and give some love?

Altruiste Bicycle Company
yes gabo! This stuff is good to see. Do you guys have instagram too?

Posted: Nov 15, 2014 at 13:04 Quote
I'm thinking of making a chainguide, will probably just be a top guide with a taco, so no lower roller.

Initial thoughts are to use PTFE for the sliders and HDPE or polypropylene for the backplate/taco? I have no idea about what the best material to use for each bit is so advice would be appreciated Smile

everything would be held together with bolts so I wouldn't be bonding anything

once I've got a working design in plastic I might try out using carbon fibre sheet for the backplate

Posted: Nov 15, 2014 at 15:47 Quote
I'd use aluminum for the taco and back plate, and PEHD for the rest.

Magura Smile

Posted: Nov 15, 2014 at 16:18 Quote
don't have the tools for metal Cry would be cool though

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.021064
Mobile Version of Website