Homemade Parts!

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Homemade Parts!
Posted: Jan 19, 2015 at 13:26 Quote
turtlesauce2000 wrote:
jamieridesbikes wrote:
turtlesauce2000 wrote:

Expect anything to cost a lot in aberdeen. Oil and gas industry has hiked up manufacturing costs. No one is going to be interested in helping some kid make some bike parts apart from some small machine shops. You'd be better off asking to use tools in uni.

Also no one really does carbon fibre in aberdeen apart from the university's for the formula student stuff, you'd be better asking mr magura for some homebrew ideas as hes the boy when it comes to CF
I've found this, which might be of interest to you if you've not heard about it already. I might have to check it out myself at some point in the near future. All I'd be doing with carbon is buying some rigid sheet online and cutting shapes from it, no moulding or anything complex.
currently speaking to iffy about laser cutting though, seems to be the way forward at this stage.

edit, iffys stuff is 6082 - T6~T651, sound good?

Please see bold.
maybe I'm taking the quoted starting cost of 'under £50' a bit too liberally

damn.
Quick google has brought up a few decent looking options in fife so I'll go and talk to them when I'm next down there
thanks for the help Smile

Posted: Jan 19, 2015 at 13:32 Quote
jamieridesbikes wrote:
turtlesauce2000 wrote:
jamieridesbikes wrote:

I've found this, which might be of interest to you if you've not heard about it already. I might have to check it out myself at some point in the near future. All I'd be doing with carbon is buying some rigid sheet online and cutting shapes from it, no moulding or anything complex.
currently speaking to iffy about laser cutting though, seems to be the way forward at this stage.

edit, iffys stuff is 6082 - T6~T651, sound good?

Please see bold.
maybe I'm taking the quoted starting cost of 'under £50' a bit too liberally

damn.
Quick google has brought up a few decent looking options in fife so I'll go and talk to them when I'm next down there
thanks for the help Smile

My dad has worked in machine shops in town for 16 years, he said the average price for an hours machine time is £160. and that just covers the labour and running cost side of things. It sounds like MAKE are a slightly different deal and are more like protolabs (Prototype website which were wanting £140 to make me a bushing kit) so i'd still expect them to be expensive.

I wish you luck on your quest to find someone willing to do the work for you

Posted: Jan 19, 2015 at 13:42 Quote
Bloody heck, that's ridiculous.

There's another thought, I should probably get the aluminium parts anodised, and I don't really have the space to do it myself. Hopefully there's somewhere in fife I can go to

Thanks again tup

Posted: Jan 19, 2015 at 14:37 Quote
I haven't been following the thread long enough. Are you making spoke protectors?

O+
Posted: Jan 19, 2015 at 14:43 Quote
Weldertron wrote:
I haven't been following the thread long enough. Are you making spoke protectors?
I think they're talking about grip spacers...

Posted: Jan 19, 2015 at 14:58 Quote
jamieridesbikes wrote:

There's another thought, I should probably get the aluminium parts anodised, and I don't really have the space to do it myself. Hopefully there's somewhere in fife I can go to

Thanks again tup

Whats your reason for making your own chainguide?

Posted: Jan 19, 2015 at 15:08 Quote
inked-up-metalhead wrote:
jamieridesbikes wrote:

Thanks again tup

Whats your reason for making your own chainguide?
seems like a good starting point. I've been lurking around these parts of pinkbike for a while looking at other peoples work and I'd like to make something myself.

Posted: Jan 19, 2015 at 15:33 Quote
Possibly for your first attempt pick up a backplate off superstar from their plasma guide?they're pretty cheap, and would take the hassle of getting it machined and anodized? Most of the cost is how long it takes to program the computer side of it, so 10000 cost a fraction of 1 per unit. Your other option is take the time to do it by hand, its actually quite satisfying. I just jigsawed, drilled and filled mine, then brushed and lightly lacquered it. Version 1 was pretty chunky looking, when I get the time v2 should look far better, possibly gonna look at making a taco for it out of an old e13 bash ring.

Posted: Jan 19, 2015 at 15:44 Quote
That was actually my first plan, but the parts aren't too expensive so I thought I might as well. I'll still need to drill holes for the countersunk bolts by hand, as well as any modifications to the original design
Have you got any pictures of your stuff?

Posted: Jan 19, 2015 at 16:04 Quote
Unfortunately not, the bike it was on got stolen a few weeks into its preliminary test. I've still got my design for the mk2 backplate so ill upload them tomorrow.

Posted: Jan 20, 2015 at 11:35 Quote
heres my chain guide i made a while ago. 2mm alloy backplate with a top guide made from a chopping board and old v pad spacers and a lower roller from an old blackspire stinger. total cost including countersunk bolts was about 9 quid.

guide

Posted: Jan 24, 2015 at 11:13 Quote
My current chainguide design uses plastic sliders, but I'd like to experiment with a jockey wheel for the lower guide. Could I just cut one out of 2mm sheet carbon with no extra machining to the teeth, or is that a bad idea? (Or would aluminium/plastic be a better choice?) I've considered using derailleur jockey wheels but I'd like something smaller than 10t so I can keep it compact.

Does 7.66mm sound right for the OD of a chain roller? Google is a bit sparse and I have no accurate way of measuring my own.

Cheers

Posted: Jan 24, 2015 at 11:45 Quote
wheels and bearings are OK but all weight and require care, they can also freeze up

an O ring on a plastic slider works rather well, the rollers on the chain take care of any drag and it runs very quietly.

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://factoryjackson.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/gamut-13-620x595.jpg

Posted: Jan 24, 2015 at 11:51 Quote
quieter than a plain slider and more cost effective than a jockey wheel? me likey

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013096
Mobile Version of Website