Homemade Parts!

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Homemade Parts!
Posted: Sep 19, 2015 at 11:58 Quote
and a good v-brake is way better than a mech disc brake...

Posted: Sep 20, 2015 at 5:33 Quote
nwthumbs wrote:
Or just normalize brake rotor size across all your wheels.

275mm sounds like a good size

Posted: Sep 20, 2015 at 5:36 Quote
nwthumbs wrote:
Or just normalize brake rotor size across all your wheels.

Too easy and efficient. Big Grin

Magura Smile

Posted: Sep 20, 2015 at 9:10 Quote
White industries eccentric disc mount then.

Posted: Sep 20, 2015 at 22:00 Quote
Not really a "part", but in lieu of a proper bike stand when one needs to do some work. A small boat mooring line does the trick. It has a strong pre-built loop just the right size to catch the seat securely. Not as steady as a stand of course, but in a pinch, at least it stays upright and the height is easy to adjust. My intent here was to change the fork from the tank-like coil fork to an air fork. Sadly the crown race was the wrong size at 1 1/8" and a proper 1 1/2" version had to be ordered. I was a little perturbed, to say the least.
photo

Posted: Sep 20, 2015 at 22:06 Quote
allanmestizo wrote:
My home made disc brake mount on an old v-brake frame that i bought.
Might be a better option at only about $50.

Look at the A2Z DM-UNI

http://www.a2zcomponents.com/02products_04adapter_05.html

You can see one installed here...

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/Building-the-perfect-kids-20-DH--AM-shredder.html

Posted: Sep 21, 2015 at 7:26 Quote
samael wrote:
Not really a "part", but in lieu of a proper bike stand when one needs to do some work. A small boat mooring line does the trick. It has a strong pre-built loop just the right size to catch the seat securely. Not as steady as a stand of course, but in a pinch, at least it stays upright and the height is easy to adjust. My intent here was to change the fork from the tank-like coil fork to an air fork. Sadly the crown race was the wrong size at 1 1/8" and a proper 1 1/2" version had to be ordered. I was a little perturbed, to say the least.
photo

Now run a second rope down from the rafters right above the handlebars and you good. I like to use tie down straps so you can raise and lower at your discretion.

Posted: Sep 21, 2015 at 8:04 Quote
whattheheel wrote:
samael wrote:
photo

Now run a second rope down from the rafters right above the handlebars and you good. I like to use tie down straps so you can raise and lower at your discretion.
In this case, I was taking the whole front end off which is why only the single rope, but ya, once it's built back up (The proper race is ordered (Hopefully)), I'll surely attach a second to the front end to aid in tuning. Ya, a tie-down would work well. Big Grin

Posted: Sep 21, 2015 at 12:10 Quote
Hopefully upping my game a bit with the chainguides, looking to get some sort of dremel rotary cutter thingy so I can cut up stuff. Birthday is approaching so I'm thinking of asking for a Dremel 3000. Currently £40 from argos, it's got some good reviews. Does anyone own one? I'll mainly use it for cutting and shaping plastic parts, though I'm keen to experiment with carbon fibre and it might see aluminium every so often.

edit, just remembered I asked here earlier this year

Posted: Sep 21, 2015 at 12:52 Quote
that IS VERY cleverSalute

I would add two jam nuts that tightens from your extended bolts to the brake adapter too??
that might stiffen it up a little???

right now there can be some slop between the threads and the adapter???

still cool ideaSmile

allanmestizo wrote:
photo
photo

Posted: Sep 21, 2015 at 13:35 Quote
To me it looks like it would put a lot of stress on the frame. Those rack/fender mounts weren't designed nor intended to take that kind of force. What you've done is clever, but have a look at the A2Z adapter I poster earlier. I think it will be safer and WAY stiffer for you.

redman733 wrote:
that IS VERY cleverSalute

I would add two jam nuts that tightens from your extended bolts to the brake adapter too??
that might stiffen it up a little???

right now there can be some slop between the threads and the adapter???

still cool ideaSmile

allanmestizo wrote:
photo
photo

Posted: Sep 22, 2015 at 5:24 Quote
jamieridesbikes wrote:
Hopefully upping my game a bit with the chainguides, looking to get some sort of dremel rotary cutter thingy so I can cut up stuff. Birthday is approaching so I'm thinking of asking for a Dremel 3000. Currently £40 from argos, it's got some good reviews. Does anyone own one? I'll mainly use it for cutting and shaping plastic parts, though I'm keen to experiment with carbon fibre and it might see aluminium every so often.

edit, just remembered I asked here earlier this year

Ive got a b&q own version, and theyre not as useful as youd think tbh. Sanding and shaping isnt a problem, you just go through the little sanding drums super quick, but aluminium is pretty much impossible for them, I tried cutting out some holes in the back plate of a homemade chainguide a few years back and went through 10 discs just making one slot. Ended up using a jigsaw and files and took less time over it. Your main problem with plastics is it melting due to the high rpm, or it just doesn't do much if you slow it down enough.

Posted: Sep 23, 2015 at 0:22 Quote
I ought to have some pretty cool posts for here soon. HND Mech Engineering requires me to do a project on designing and building something to solve a problem. I'm going with designing a custom shimmed damper for my Totem which should be interesting. I'm thinking lathe + some 3D printing, should be golden.

Posted: Sep 23, 2015 at 0:42 Quote
CameronRose wrote:
I ought to have some pretty cool posts for here soon. HND Mech Engineering requires me to do a project on designing and building something to solve a problem. I'm going with designing a custom shimmed damper for my Totem which should be interesting. I'm thinking lathe + some 3D printing, should be golden.

Thats way too much for a HND, save that for your honours Wink

Posted: Sep 23, 2015 at 6:42 Quote
turtlesauce2000 wrote:
CameronRose wrote:

Thats way too much for a HND, save that for your honours Wink
That's the beauty of it, we've been told to choose something that has enough scope to take forth next year to save us having to have a whole new project next year.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.023539
Mobile Version of Website