The Whistler Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
The Whistler Thread
Posted: Nov 3, 2014 at 16:04 Quote
brncr6 wrote:
Just looked it up for the dates and I will be there on the 9th during crankworxs. Probably worse at that time? Really want to ride the top of the world trail. It's on the bucket list.

This year I was in Whistler for the week before and the week during crankworx. Week before wasn't bad at all. During crankworx the lines got worse and worse the closer you got to the weekend. During crankworx there was really only one event each day. There were times the lines were long in the morning, but once your back down to the bottom it's clear. Just get there and be ready to ride when the lifts open and you'll be able to get plenty of laps in.

Posted: Nov 3, 2014 at 16:55 Quote
mlr428 wrote:
brncr6 wrote:
Just looked it up for the dates and I will be there on the 9th during crankworxs. Probably worse at that time? Really want to ride the top of the world trail. It's on the bucket list.

This year I was in Whistler for the week before and the week during crankworx. Week before wasn't bad at all. During crankworx the lines got worse and worse the closer you got to the weekend. During crankworx there was really only one event each day. There were times the lines were long in the morning, but once your back down to the bottom it's clear. Just get there and be ready to ride when the lifts open and you'll be able to get plenty of laps in.

Thanks guys!
TOTW trail is closed when I will be there are there any similar trails?
Tech rock flowing single track. Not a jumper/hucker would be in the way on trails like that and don't want to ruin any body's run.
Thanks again.

O+
Posted: Nov 3, 2014 at 18:49 Quote
There's more rocky tech trails than fast jumpy ones, there's tons of trails. Totw is a good ride and fun experience but the trail itself is nowhere near as fun as a lot of the trails in the rest of the park.

Posted: Nov 4, 2014 at 2:50 Quote
kevin267 wrote:
There's more rocky tech trails than fast jumpy ones, there's tons of trails. Totw is a good ride and fun experience but the trail itself is nowhere near as fun as a lot of the trails in the rest of the park.

Agreed. Me and the gf rode it 3 times while we were there. The last time was after the Enduro race and I wish I rented a 160mm bike to ride because I found a DH bike overkill. Def worth checking it out tho.

O+
Posted: Nov 5, 2014 at 2:14 Quote
I ride during crankworx every year. Not busy at all. No lift lineups and if there is, usually a short 5 min wait. Lots of trail closures though.

Posted: Nov 8, 2014 at 15:49 Quote
Long time reader, first time poster...

Planning trip to whistler next year (yes im a whistler virgin).

Aspens lodges...Anyone had any experience/anyone know anything about them?

O+
Posted: Nov 8, 2014 at 21:20 Quote
that's blackcomb, spearhead drive, they're really nice units inside. Don't know their bike policy. Mostly downhill cruise to the bike park, little bit of a push back up, not that bad but would be annoying to do multiple times per day so not as good as staying somewhere right in the village, that being said it's still damn close I'm just being picky. And a free bus that goes pretty much right there the #5 bus. And close if you want to ride golden boner/microclimate/hey bud/crazy train if you're doing any trail riding.

Posted: Nov 10, 2014 at 19:06 Quote
I lived in the Aspens a couple of years ago. Agree that most units are nice (also did a few days house keeping there so saw a lot!) I was only living there in the winter so could tell you about their bike policy either. I wouldnt be putting bikes in the carpark storage area!

But they did have valet snowboard/ski service in winter, was so good, maybe see if they also do valet bike?

The climb sucked in winter but would be very easy in summer.

I lived in Northstar on northlands blvd in the village for a couple of summers. Stay there if you can. Ground floor apartment is best as you just roll the bike straight in your front door.

O+
Posted: Nov 19, 2014 at 15:23 Quote
bigquotesI lived in Northstar on northlands blvd in the village for a couple of summers. Stay there if you can. Ground floor apartment is best as you just roll the bike straight in your front door.

That's where I'm staying these days, would be a great base for riding from.

Quick question: Best place to get a helmet and a few bike tools in Whistler at the moment? Maybe some new flat shoes too?

O+
Posted: Nov 19, 2014 at 15:33 Quote
The only shops open at the moment are fine line and the fix in function.

O+
Posted: Nov 19, 2014 at 15:54 Quote
Cheers, noticed all the ski/bike shops in the village had firmly switched over to skis now!

Posted: Nov 19, 2014 at 15:56 Quote
What's the weather generally like in August? I'm trying to get a pre-back to school trip lined up, and want to get to Whistler. Yah, first timer..

O+
Posted: Nov 19, 2014 at 19:42 Quote
Kinda hard to predict.... This season it was dry but august can be wet as well. I would say to expect anything but august is usually not bad.

Posted: Nov 19, 2014 at 21:25 Quote
Alright, I'll keep that in mind. Still nine months away, and it's all I've thought about the last two days at work.

Posted: Nov 20, 2014 at 11:11 Quote
Evolution has bike stuff at the moment too.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.027023
Mobile Version of Website