The Whistler Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
The Whistler Thread
Posted: Jul 6, 2015 at 6:13 Quote
Clarkeh wrote:
Heading to Whistler for 5 weeks, going to be riding at least 5 days a week.
Just after a rough estimate for how many tires and brake pads I would be getting through?

Depends on which one you buy, and how you brake, but 1 to 3 pair is a fair guesstimate!

O+
Posted: Jul 6, 2015 at 6:22 Quote
Anyone know when the bike shops start selling the rentals? I wanna get my hands on a Reign at the end of the season. Do they usually put a good discount on the ex-rentals?

Posted: Jul 6, 2015 at 6:24 Quote
StanMarsh wrote:
Anyone know when the bike shops start selling the rentals? I wanna get my hands on a Reign at the end of the season. Do they usually put a good discount on the ex-rentals?

Best deal you can have on almost brand new bikes. We start selling the ex-rental around september/october. Always depends how busy we are. And make sure you come early because they will sell FAST!!!

Posted: Jul 6, 2015 at 8:10 Quote
I've been seeing a lot about all of the wildfires in BC here lately. That's not affecting the bike park any is it?

O+
Posted: Jul 6, 2015 at 8:17 Quote
aturner14 wrote:
I've been seeing a lot about all of the wildfires in BC here lately. That's not affecting the bike park any is it?

Well, last I heard is that Top of the world is closed since yesterday due to fire ban.
Not sure of this will impact the rest.

O+
Posted: Jul 6, 2015 at 8:39 Quote
I can't see the top of any mountain this morning from the village. It's as though a huge fog rolled in, and it smells like campfire but without the benefit of being able to roast marshmallows. Environment Canada has an air quality advisory in effect. I suspect TOTW will remain closed again.

Posted: Jul 6, 2015 at 9:44 Quote
davecheng wrote:
I can't see the top of any mountain this morning from the village. It's as though a huge fog rolled in, and it smells like campfire but without the benefit of being able to roast marshmallows. Environment Canada has an air quality advisory in effect. I suspect TOTW will remain closed again.

Just got notification the Top of the World will be closed until further notice. With the big fires burning near Pemberton and growing in size right now it could be a while.

O+
Posted: Jul 6, 2015 at 10:09 Quote
I was planning a trip to the Whistler area this week. Is it worth coming down, or should I go somewhere else where the air is clearer?

O+
Posted: Jul 6, 2015 at 10:15 Quote
Hard to say. It's really smokey here. I'm in good health, but I personally wouldn't want to ride for long periods of time in this stuff.

Check Environment Canada's air quality advisory. The latest update says:

9:58 AM PDT Monday 06 July 2015
sea-to-sky corridor. The Ministry of Environment in collaboration with the Vancouver coastal health authority has issued a wildfire smoke advisory for the sea-to-sky corridor and surrounding areas because of forest fire smoke that is affecting areas from Howe Sound through Squamish and Whistler to Pemberton and surrounding areas. Smoke concentrations will vary widely as winds, fire behaviour and temperature change. This situation is expected to persist until meteorological conditions change.
Persons with chronic underlying medical conditions should postpone strenuous exercise until the advisory is lifted. Staying indoors and in air conditioned spaces helps to reduce fine particulate exposure. Exposure is particularly a concern for infants, the elderly and those who have diabetes, and lung or heart disease.

Posted: Jul 6, 2015 at 10:22 Quote
Dang that's absolutely awful. I didn't know it had gotten that bad in Whistler yet. I'll be flying in for vacation Saturday, I hope I still get to enjoy it. If top of the world is closed, I'm assuming the hiking is as well? I just booked all my tickets and peak to peak stuff yesterday.

O+
Posted: Jul 6, 2015 at 11:52 Quote
Late-morning update from inside a stopped gondola cabin: It's smokey as f*** right now but business as usual in the park, it seems. Still handfuls of hikers going up top. Kinda reminds me of a foggy Garbo day, but it smells like campfire everywhere.

Posted: Jul 7, 2015 at 11:21 Quote
davecheng wrote:
Hard to say. It's really smokey here. I'm in good health, but I personally wouldn't want to ride for long periods of time in this stuff.

Check Environment Canada's air quality advisory. The latest update says:

9:58 AM PDT Monday 06 July 2015
sea-to-sky corridor. The Ministry of Environment in collaboration with the Vancouver coastal health authority has issued a wildfire smoke advisory for the sea-to-sky corridor and surrounding areas because of forest fire smoke that is affecting areas from Howe Sound through Squamish and Whistler to Pemberton and surrounding areas. Smoke concentrations will vary widely as winds, fire behaviour and temperature change. This situation is expected to persist until meteorological conditions change.
Persons with chronic underlying medical conditions should postpone strenuous exercise until the advisory is lifted. Staying indoors and in air conditioned spaces helps to reduce fine particulate exposure. Exposure is particularly a concern for infants, the elderly and those who have diabetes, and lung or heart disease.

Yah I'm in the park too, yesterday they said towards the end of the day air quality on a scale of 1-10 was an 11.

Did a freight train/no joke to dirt m and 1/2 down I was weezing/coughing super dizzy.

They say forecast tomorrow on aq is a 6 so should be clearing out.

Oh and it looks way way way worse today like a 12.

Posted: Jul 7, 2015 at 13:58 Quote
can someone report on how the air is if you're there?

thinking if i should head up tonight..

Posted: Jul 7, 2015 at 14:10 Quote
kinlodesigns wrote:
can someone report on how the air is if you're there?

thinking if i should head up tonight..

Current aq is 10+ on scale of 1-10.

Pretty much u can't see 1/2 way up the boneyard.

Forecast is a 6 for tomorrow.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.020981
Mobile Version of Website