The Whistler Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
The Whistler Thread
Posted: Sep 15, 2015 at 3:31 Quote
Hi,

I'm coming to whistler this weekend for a week from the UK, Whoop!

However the forecast is for rain. Is it worth buying mudspikes and taking them with me?

It was £70 for a mud tire in Morzine last year with all the rain and I suspect whistler will have similarly inflated prices. Its £50= $102CAD to get them delivered.

I'm going on a DH bike and will just be riding the bike park with a trip to the top of the world on Sunday.

I've got a high roller in 3c on the front and a minion 60 compound on the back at the moment.

Any suggestions?

Posted: Sep 15, 2015 at 4:49 Quote
You will be fine with what you have m8, never gets muddy like the uk. the rocks will be super grippy.

tall-martin wrote:
Hi,

I'm coming to whistler this weekend for a week from the UK, Whoop!

However the forecast is for rain. Is it worth buying mudspikes and taking them with me?

It was £70 for a mud tire in Morzine last year with all the rain and I suspect whistler will have similarly inflated prices. Its £50= $102CAD to get them delivered.

I'm going on a DH bike and will just be riding the bike park with a trip to the top of the world on Sunday.

I've got a high roller in 3c on the front and a minion 60 compound on the back at the moment.

Any suggestions?

Posted: Sep 15, 2015 at 12:34 Quote
rigodon777 wrote:
cdjm wrote:
Extra gloves, extra socks, something warm and dry! Check!
Hopefully the rentals will have fenders fitted, and come with goggles!! Haha
Thanks for the replies guys, as always!

IF you are renting from the mountain. No fender are fitted to the bike unless you bring your own, or fabricate your own with 4 zip tie and a trashed tube. And no goggles because eye infenction are easily passed on with goggles.. so for sanitary reason, no goggles!

Damnn son

Hoping to find some reasonably priced 5.10 in Whistler when I get there tomorrow!
Having trouble finding any at all in Vancouver!

Posted: Sep 15, 2015 at 12:56 Quote
cdjm wrote:
rigodon777 wrote:
cdjm wrote:
Extra gloves, extra socks, something warm and dry! Check!
Hopefully the rentals will have fenders fitted, and come with goggles!! Haha
Thanks for the replies guys, as always!

IF you are renting from the mountain. No fender are fitted to the bike unless you bring your own, or fabricate your own with 4 zip tie and a trashed tube. And no goggles because eye infenction are easily passed on with goggles.. so for sanitary reason, no goggles!

Damnn son

Hoping to find some reasonably priced 5.10 in Whistler when I get there tomorrow!
Having trouble finding any at all in Vancouver!

MEC carries some.

Posted: Sep 15, 2015 at 21:05 Quote
tall-martin wrote:
Cheers demostug!
I'd suggest getting a 3C tire or other soft compound for the rear, 60a can get pretty slippery on the wet roots.

Vertstar Magic Mary's are an awesome all around whistler tire but they wont last long. I believe bike-discount.de has them for cheap.

O+
Posted: Sep 15, 2015 at 23:08 Quote
Nobble wrote:
tall-martin wrote:
Cheers demostug!
I'd suggest getting a 3C tire or other soft compound for the rear, 60a can get pretty slippery on the wet roots.

Vertstar Magic Mary's are an awesome all around whistler tire but they wont last long. I believe bike-discount.de has them for cheap.

I strongly recommend Continental Kaiser (front) and Baron (back), both Black Chili and 2.5". At least it's what I roll with and it never let's me slide in an uncontrollable manner, both in the wet and when it's dry. Has also proved itself on several rocky and rooty trails today. But Conti is kinda expensive, though.

Posted: Sep 16, 2015 at 16:01 Quote
Can you buy a lift ticket at the creekside gondolas or do you have to buy in the village?

O+
Posted: Sep 16, 2015 at 16:05 Quote
robsmustang wrote:
Can you buy a lift ticket at the creekside gondolas or do you have to buy in the village?
there was a place in creekside village

Posted: Sep 16, 2015 at 17:16 Quote
todayisthegreatest wrote:
robsmustang wrote:
there was a place in creekside village
yep at can-ski beside the starbucks

Posted: Sep 16, 2015 at 18:08 Quote
A little trick from riding through Welsh winters, wear a pair of latex or nitrile gloves inside your riding gloves. Keeps your hands warm and toasty all day and no need for 2 sets of gloves. Only costs about $2 for a box of them.

Posted: Sep 16, 2015 at 20:59 Quote
expat-taff wrote:
A little trick from riding through Welsh winters, wear a pair of latex or nitrile gloves inside your riding gloves. Keeps your hands warm and toasty all day and no need for 2 sets of gloves. Only costs about $2 for a box of them.

Also makes them SUPER sweaty and slippery inside the grip. No thanks I'd rather rock two pairs of glove! One for the morning, and one for the afternoon!

Posted: Sep 18, 2015 at 8:11 Quote
Who needs gloves? Our hands naturally have plenty of grip Big Grin If they get sweaty dirt works perfectly to dry em up.

Posted: Sep 18, 2015 at 9:09 Quote
mtbrider71 wrote:
Who needs gloves? Our hands naturally have plenty of grip Big Grin If they get sweaty dirt works perfectly to dry em up.
who needs grips either? Our hands are naturally padded...

Rolleyes

Posted: Sep 18, 2015 at 10:40 Quote
Nobble wrote:
mtbrider71 wrote:
who needs grips either? Our hands are naturally padded...

Rolleyes

Oh damn, you're right. I am going to stop using grips as well!

but really I started riding without gloves when I was in Whistler. It sucks the first couple times with blisters but after getting used to it I liked it a lot more.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.023635
Mobile Version of Website