The Whistler Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
The Whistler Thread
Posted: Sep 20, 2016 at 0:01 Quote
goytay wrote:

After riding in whistler yesterday, i have to say your right, i got thoroughly soaked, but trails were so grippy.

Good for Whistler, bad for the rest of the world. Cry

O+
Posted: Sep 20, 2016 at 11:52 Quote
Jacob001 wrote:
Hey I'm going to be coming up closing weekend which I have never done before and am wondering what to expect, and what to wear/bring in terms of riding gear.

Thx

I missed last year but the year before it was snowing at the Roundhouse and very muddy in Garbo. Fitz was fine. Bring pants if you have em and a rain jacket, mud fender, two pairs of gloves etc. Even if it's nice down low it will probably be cold up high.

Or maybe it will be nice and sunny... Check the weather a few days out and you'll know.

Posted: Sep 20, 2016 at 14:49 Quote
Moving to whistler for 2 years in a months time, cant wait! Anybody local got hints for winter accom or know anyone renting out property?

Also when does the hill become unrideable due to snow? Bringing a bike over with me so hoping to get some riding in end of october beginning of november.

Cheers!

O+
Posted: Sep 20, 2016 at 18:08 Quote
Try to find a job that has accommodation included. Trails around the valley should be good still but the park will be shut.

Posted: Sep 21, 2016 at 7:07 Quote
Just booked myself a last minute trip. In Whistler next week, yay! Probably CGP this Sunday, with Whistler the rest of the week. Anyone else riding solo next week?

O+
Posted: Sep 24, 2016 at 20:02 Quote
I'm up here for a few days, riding Monday through Wednesday at the bike park. Is garbanzo open midweek typically? It was closed Friday. I called them on the phone about it and they said it was either because of the rain or low attendance. Just wondering if it'll be fitzsimmons only on Monday and if I should try to get up there Sunday want to check out garbanzo.

Posted: Sep 24, 2016 at 23:35 Quote
I rode four garbo laps on friday after around noon. When was it closed?

O+
Posted: Sep 25, 2016 at 8:23 Quote
I'll be in Whistler Oct 3-7 by myself doing a shoot on the 3rd then riding the rest of the time. I'd love to set up another photoshoot on the mountain while I'm there sometime throughout the week, so if there's anyone with decent skills and a new-ish bike/kit who wants to meet up let me know! It could be for park/DH stuff or more of an all-mountain thing - whatever works.
If you go to the PB main page and scroll down to the FISE Edmonton post, that's my work, for reference.
Besides shooting, if anyone else is riding solo and wants to meet up for some laps I'm always game!
Cheers

O+
Posted: Sep 25, 2016 at 8:56 Quote
juniorpnwdh wrote:
I rode four garbo laps on friday after around noon. When was it closed?

I didn't ride but saw a sign at the base area saying fitzsimmons only. I called guest services and they said it was closed likely due to weather. Probably around 3.

Posted: Sep 25, 2016 at 14:57 Quote
It was open Friday.

Posted: Sep 26, 2016 at 10:45 Quote
turtlesauce2000 wrote:
Moving to whistler for 2 years in a months time, cant wait! Anybody local got hints for winter accom or know anyone renting out property?

Also when does the hill become unrideable due to snow? Bringing a bike over with me so hoping to get some riding in end of october beginning of november.

Cheers!

Hey guys,

On a similar subject, I'd like to ask, around what time of the year is mountainbiking not possible due to snow and weather in BC? I'm planning a trip to North America next year, spending July in Whistler and visiting the Coast Gravity Park. I'd then like to spend August and September working at a bike shop in BC, I have friends who could hook me up a job in Penticton, but apparently they mostly do CX and roadie's in that area. So I was thinking it'd be best to look for a job & place to stay at Kelowna, Vernon, Revolstoke or Kamloops which seem to have a way bigger mtb sceen. Maybe getting a job at a Bike Park would be a good idea too if I can snatch one.

I was guessing weather starts getting bad around October and people start putting their bikes away for the winter? I'd really appreciate any info on that matter! So around that time I thought it'd be a good idea to head down to the States to Colorado where I'd try getting another job at a friends bike shop and hoping that the weather'd be a bit nicer over there that time of the year.

Cheers! Beer

Posted: Sep 26, 2016 at 12:20 Quote
szot123 wrote:
turtlesauce2000 wrote:

Cheers!

Hey guys,

On a similar subject, I'd like to ask, around what time of the year is mountainbiking not possible due to snow and weather in BC? I'm planning a trip to North America next year, spending July in Whistler and visiting the Coast Gravity Park. I'd then like to spend August and September working at a bike shop in BC, I have friends who could hook me up a job in Penticton, but apparently they mostly do CX and roadie's in that area. So I was thinking it'd be best to look for a job & place to stay at Kelowna, Vernon, Revolstoke or Kamloops which seem to have a way bigger mtb sceen. Maybe getting a job at a Bike Park would be a good idea too if I can snatch one.

I was guessing weather starts getting bad around October and people start putting their bikes away for the winter? I'd really appreciate any info on that matter! So around that time I thought it'd be a good idea to head down to the States to Colorado where I'd try getting another job at a friends bike shop and hoping that the weather'd be a bit nicer over there that time of the year.

Cheers! Beer

Ya usually October is time to out the bikes away.
I've never been in the winter but I'd like to think there is maybe some riding around Vancouver area in the winter, I don't think Colorado is going to be much nicer. They are further south but are at high altitude which makes it colder. They will be in winter with too much snow to bike.

Your best bet would be Cali, Nevada, arizona , Utah for the winter. If your looking to stay away from the snow

O+
Posted: Sep 26, 2016 at 12:24 Quote
If you don't mind the rain you can ride year round in Vancouver/Squamish.

O+
Posted: Sep 26, 2016 at 12:39 Quote
The island also has year round riding. Pemberton you can often ride until December and start again end of February. Colorado is cold in the winter. No riding there as far as I know.

O+
Posted: Sep 26, 2016 at 17:42 Quote
All the low elevation areas around the coast of bc have year round/nearly year round riding, that's why coast gravity Park is open all year!! In Whistler the bike park is may long weekend to Canadian thanksgiving and the trail riding outside of the park is clear maybe a month more before/after

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.024298
Mobile Version of Website