The Whistler Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
The Whistler Thread
Posted: Nov 1, 2016 at 15:55 Quote
Yoooo

Posted this up on the whistler buy/sell FB page but reposting it here incase any of you locals can help!

Needing somewhere private to park up my van over the winter in the whistler area as I wont be using it. Wont be living in it just need somewhere safe/ out of the snow ploughs way for the season. Any help or offers appreciated.

Thank you
Jamie

O+
Posted: Nov 2, 2016 at 7:13 Quote
You can buy a monthly parking pass for the Town Plaza parking garage (under the library). Think its $100/month. Theres a bunch of camper vans and rv's parked down there now.

Posted: Nov 9, 2016 at 14:32 Quote
You will need to have valid plates for it, otherwise it will get towed no matter what!

O+
Posted: Nov 15, 2016 at 12:27 Quote
Hi guys

hoping too head too whistler in 2017 for 5 weeks or so, i understand with solid riding tyres wear out quick and trying too plan financially, any idea what the costs would be for 5 weeks solid riding on two bikes (obviously don't ride both at the same time but you get what i mean) out there?

kinda thinking i'll at least be buying 6 tyres as they will wear out and a couple of sets of brake pads and anything else that brakes... i don't know what stuff costs over there either so pricing in CAD would be great Smile

cheers

josh Salute

Posted: Nov 15, 2016 at 12:36 Quote
Scotj009 wrote:
Hi guys

hoping too head too whistler in 2017 for 5 weeks or so, i understand with solid riding tyres wear out quick and trying too plan financially, any idea what the costs would be for 5 weeks solid riding on two bikes (obviously don't ride both at the same time but you get what i mean) out there?

kinda thinking i'll at least be buying 6 tyres as they will wear out and a couple of sets of brake pads and anything else that brakes... i don't know what stuff costs over there either so pricing in CAD would be great Smile

cheers

josh Salute

Tires will be 70-90$ CAD each. I'd bring extra pads with you as they are small, and easy to get locally for you. I'd be surprised if you need 6 tires assuming bikes come over with new rubber. Trail bike you'll probably not need any barring blowout. Park riding you will use them up but maybe 1 new set while you are here...nor 3 sets.

O+
Posted: Nov 15, 2016 at 12:41 Quote
oh right ok... cool thanks for that... that's a lot better than i thought, the guide i said used a set of tyres in 2 weeks

Posted: Nov 15, 2016 at 12:42 Quote
rode bike park all summer and only went through 2 rear tyres and maybe 1 front. Its hardest most on fork and shock Id say, both of mine are completely shot right now but wont have enough cash to get sorted until next summer.

Stuff over here isn't cheap, When I smashed my rear mech I just went chainless for 2 months. I actually loved being chainless as the suspension felt so good...but expect to pay about 130 for a zee mech.

O+
Posted: Nov 15, 2016 at 12:44 Quote
I am a quallified mechanic and can do all the mechanical stuff myself and have access too a full workshop when i am there so that shouldn't be a problem.... hopefully Smile

Posted: Nov 15, 2016 at 15:00 Quote
Scotj009 wrote:
I am a quallified mechanic and can do all the mechanical stuff myself and have access too a full workshop when i am there so that shouldn't be a problem.... hopefully Smile
I'd say bring the small pricey items with you if you can: brake pads, maybe extra derailleur, etc.

O+
Posted: Nov 16, 2016 at 0:17 Quote
OK yeah, thanks for the advice guys

O+
Posted: Nov 16, 2016 at 5:56 Quote
Tyres, if you are sensible & run Maxxis, the front will be fine, unless you tear it. Couple of rears at the most.

If you run Schwalbe, probably a set a week, based on my experience lol

O+
Posted: Nov 16, 2016 at 10:28 Quote
Yeah I run maxxis, prefer schwalbe but run maxxis cause cheaper

O+
Posted: Nov 20, 2016 at 20:50 Quote
How are the trails in the valley these days? Coming up next weekend and bringing my skis, but wondering whether I should bring my trail bike as well. Smile

O+
Posted: Nov 20, 2016 at 22:44 Quote
Got a little bit of snow last night to make things interesting but everything lower elevation and in tree cover is completely clear, and it's melting now, things could change fast by next weekend though

O+
Posted: Nov 22, 2016 at 21:54 Quote
Aaand like I said things can change fast. Quite a bit of snow today, everything will have a few inches on it.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.026346
Mobile Version of Website