Need feedback for our new web site for One Ghost Industries, a new bike company based in Portland, Oregon, USA

PB Forum :: Other
Need feedback for our new web site for One Ghost Industries, a new bike company based in Portland, Oregon, USA
Posted: May 2, 2008 at 20:17 Quote
I'll take a photo of it, I can't find the original file. it's pretty awesome. something about life's short so go out, ride hard and break shit because you can die walking out of your house being hit by a car and not even touch yor bike and lawyers suck or something like that.
our proof of concept (POC) Tanto was about 4.5 lbs bone stock and I made it with an internal head tube and smaller gauge tubes so the production bike should be about 5.25 or so maybe 5.5 lbs. the dropouts are machined from billet as is the head tube, BB and c-stay yoke plus we are upping the tube size. just want it to be bigger. Never had problems with the existing one, other than the internal headset. that will now be a 1.5 standard externally butted. 34.9 seat tube and 1" x .78" rectangular stays/top tube not the smaller oval tubing I used on the POC.
Better geometry to. adjusted for the Fox 36 Talas set in 100mm mode this gives it a 68.5 degree. so if you want to go freeride it, put the fork in 160 mode and you'll have have about 66.5-67 degree HA or so with a 68.5-ish seat angle and a burlier frame to handle it.
yeah I want to be able to give back. I raced for Yeti a while back and have been part of this sport for a long time now and I think it is important you sell not just a bike to someone but you sell your company and everyone who is a customer is part of the family. I always admired Yeti for that. They have the "Tribe" we have the Clan, we are all samurai. doing a frame package with things like a hat, a shirt, decal kit, a bag o custom roasted, shade grown organic coffee, maybe a pint glass and a derailuer hanger or 2, a pivot rebuild kit. It is just good marketing because it means we are taking care of the customer, not just our wallets. We plan on going racing big time and spending little to nothing on advertising so we can pass whatever savings we can on to consumers. We will also be selling directly to the consumer and only have a core group of bike shops carrying our bikes. maybe not more than 10 shops around the US and Canada.

Posted: May 3, 2008 at 9:23 Quote
I'll be adding more photos of the bikes as they are finished. I am not sure the world is ready to see the Moto*GP link system yet as it is only in patent pending status. I don't want to see it go to some other company with more money.

Posted: May 3, 2008 at 9:28 Quote
oneghost wrote:
I'll take a photo of it, I can't find the original file. it's pretty awesome. something about life's short so go out, ride hard and break shit because you can die walking out of your house being hit by a car and not even touch yor bike and lawyers suck or something like that.
our proof of concept (POC) Tanto was about 4.5 lbs bone stock and I made it with an internal head tube and smaller gauge tubes so the production bike should be about 5.25 or so maybe 5.5 lbs. the dropouts are machined from billet as is the head tube, BB and c-stay yoke plus we are upping the tube size. just want it to be bigger. Never had problems with the existing one, other than the internal headset. that will now be a 1.5 standard externally butted. 34.9 seat tube and 1" x .78" rectangular stays/top tube not the smaller oval tubing I used on the POC.
Better geometry to. adjusted for the Fox 36 Talas set in 100mm mode this gives it a 68.5 degree. so if you want to go freeride it, put the fork in 160 mode and you'll have have about 66.5-67 degree HA or so with a 68.5-ish seat angle and a burlier frame to handle it.
yeah I want to be able to give back. I raced for Yeti a while back and have been part of this sport for a long time now and I think it is important you sell not just a bike to someone but you sell your company and everyone who is a customer is part of the family. I always admired Yeti for that. They have the "Tribe" we have the Clan, we are all samurai. doing a frame package with things like a hat, a shirt, decal kit, a bag o custom roasted, shade grown organic coffee, maybe a pint glass and a derailuer hanger or 2, a pivot rebuild kit. It is just good marketing because it means we are taking care of the customer, not just our wallets. We plan on going racing big time and spending little to nothing on advertising so we can pass whatever savings we can on to consumers. We will also be selling directly to the consumer and only have a core group of bike shops carrying our bikes. maybe not more than 10 shops around the US and Canada.

i am the same way, i love yeti, i lived in durango and knew most the guys who worked at the old shop, and i love the tribe gatherings. i completely agree with not selling the bike but the company. yeti felt a like a family when i went. i love your philosophy of the company.some times the small bike companys are the best, cause they see every one the same, wether your the guy riding the clapped out yeti DJ, or the kid with the full blown 303. ell i am deffinatly going to consider your DJ bike. i love the yeti's, but i am likeing your a litttle more.

Posted: May 3, 2008 at 9:32 Quote
you guys sound like a real bike company, not some shop that mass produses bikes, and does not listen to the riders unless they have a full ride sponsership.i remember hearing about you guys for the first time at interbike, and i real did not know if you guys were goping to hit the market hard, but it great to see you guys doing good, and i love your guys ethics

Posted: May 3, 2008 at 10:43 Quote
codyloveskona wrote:
you guys sound like a real bike company, not some shop that mass produces bikes, and does not listen to the riders unless they have a full ride sponsorship.i remember hearing about you guys for the first time at interbike, and i real did not know if you guys were going to hit the market hard, but it great to see you guys doing good, and i love your guys ethics

word.
Yeah I've been riding bikes for 20 years and racing them for 16 with about 10 of those 16 racing pro so I know what is means to be on the outside as well as inside. I've turned down sponsorships from bigger companies to ride for smaller companies like Turner (back when we was still in his garage in Colorado when he was breaking into more production and just beginning to think about the DHR). I always chose to buy my bikes from the small guys. I believe in the customer and the racer, especially the sport and expert class guys as they are the ones that need more support, not just the pros and semi pros. Sure the pros and semi's deserve the break because of where they are and they need to be rewarded but experts and sports buy retail 99.8% of the time and they are the ones that support the industry and get the paycheck back to the bigger companies.

One Ghost Industries is here to stay and we are doing whatever it takes to make that happen (short of having our bikes mass produced in Asia. I won't go to China at all, esp. with what they are doing to the Tibetans. It bothers me when a company chooses profit over ethics. I respect Intense, Yeti and Santa Cruz and Turner for keeping it real and making it happen, especially Yeti, Turner and Intense. All of them started in a garage somewhere with a dream to be the best. I don't know if we'll ever be the best but we will most definitely be a viable option worthy of the cash. We'll have a very strong focus on racing too, very much like Yeti and Intense, it may just take us a while to get there!

Posted: May 3, 2008 at 16:42 Quote
man dave i'm so jazzed for those bikes! good work man, the dream is finally coming alive!

Posted: May 3, 2008 at 17:37 Quote
Thanks Alex. I had a dream the other night I shipped you a full built Katana with the monocoque tubeset, SRAM X.0 and a 40 RC2 and Ringle wheelset. was awesome. Got you and Gabe running the 09 race program out of Colorado (unless you moved here to P-town!)

Posted: May 3, 2008 at 17:51 Quote
so are you guys rollen with straight 26's or will you ever make a 24' DJ bike?

Posted: May 3, 2008 at 17:59 Quote
we have something in the works, just talk now but it will be titanium and 24's

Posted: May 3, 2008 at 18:04 Quote
oneghost wrote:
we have something in the works, just talk now but it will be titanium and 24's

nice nice, now i am all pumped up for what ever it is.

Posted: May 3, 2008 at 18:32 Quote
Yeah "Brewmaster" Moto GP (our fabrication team lead) has been thinking thhis one out for a long time. He is an old school BMX street rider and has deep roots there and wants to make a Ti DJ/street frame with 24's and one with 26's and other chill parts like maybe Ti 2-piece bars and cranks. That's still down the road a bit, can't blow our wad at once. I want to be around for a long time to come.

Posted: May 3, 2008 at 18:42 Quote
oneghost wrote:
Yeah "Brewmaster" Moto GP (our fabrication team lead) has been thinking thhis one out for a long time. He is an old school BMX street rider and has deep roots there and wants to make a Ti DJ/street frame with 24's and one with 26's and other chill parts like maybe Ti 2-piece bars and cranks. That's still down the road a bit, can't blow our wad at once. I want to be around for a long time to come.

ya, well your thinking smart, maby you will be like transtion some day, and have your own parts. oneghost wheels sound dope, ti cranks and spindle.

Posted: May 3, 2008 at 18:58 Quote
Not sure if we'll dilute our brand that deep but one thing is for sure is if we do make a full kit of gear it will all be made in house, not bought from China or Taiwan and our decals put on them like other companies. I am 100% dedicated to keeping the OG brand in the US as far as production of our bikes and whatever parts may come out.

Posted: May 3, 2008 at 19:03 Quote
What are some projected weights of your bikes to whet our appetites?

Also my input: Ditch the flash menu. As lame as it is to not have flash that means that lots of people can't even use your site. I like to be able to check out bike company sites on my ipod and they don't have flash capabilities. Mobile internet is relied upon more and more and is creating a whole new generation of machines with flash compatibility issues. The bikes each need their own page as I'm sure you already know. The information on the bikes themselves is a bit nebulous but that's to be expected when you're prototyping. I do think it would draw people in a bit more and keep them coming back to the site if they clicked on the page for the bike and got a silhouette and "coming soon" with a bit of to the point geometry, intended use, and weight information. Clean up the page layout a little too. Otherwise it's looking really good. Keep up the good work and good luck. I'm anxious to see what's in store.

Posted: May 3, 2008 at 19:27 Quote
DavidMakalaster wrote:
What are some projected weights of your bikes to whet our appetites?

Also my input: Ditch the flash menu. As lame as it is to not have flash that means that lots of people can't even use your site. I like to be able to check out bike company sites on my ipod and they don't have flash capabilities. Mobile internet is relied upon more and more and is creating a whole new generation of machines with flash compatibility issues. The bikes each need their own page as I'm sure you already know. The information on the bikes themselves is a bit nebulous but that's to be expected when you're prototyping. I do think it would draw people in a bit more and keep them coming back to the site if they clicked on the page for the bike and got a silhouette and "coming soon" with a bit of to the point geometry, intended use, and weight information. Clean up the page layout a little too. Otherwise it's looking really good. Keep up the good work and good luck. I'm anxious to see what's in store.

did you see the test site or the main one?
http://www.oneghost.com/08-test/Home.html
I like the coming soon with the silhouette, I'll get that going on. I love flash sites but they are such a pain in the arse, i agree totally. Look at Yeti's, love the site but it is slow and clumsy. same with Intense's site. Thanks for your critique.

weights:
The Tanto 4X (our hard tail) should be about 5 - 6 lbs. our proof of concept came in at 4.75 and was under built. with the larger diameter tubes and CNC dropouts/yoke, etc.. it will be a bit more, bit shouldn't be much.

The Katana L.S. (our DH frame. the L.S. is for Long Sword, just some marketing fun) will be about 10 - 11 with a DHX 5.0 coil (steel) and Maxle. Shooting for a 40 lb build with it with solid gear but under 40 with ease (and come carbon and Ti bits). The Wakazashi S.S. (our slope style frame, 5.5 - 6.5" adjustable) should fall into the 8 lb range with a DHX air and Maxle. Then there will be the Super D frame the Longbow (6.5 - 7.5 adjustable) should be about 8.5 - 9 lbs with a DHX air and Maxle. All the full sus. bikes will have 20mm main pivots with 15mm secondary pivots and all with MAX-E bearings.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.011657
Mobile Version of Website