I need help on hopping on the rear wheel

PB Forum :: Observed Biketrials
I need help on hopping on the rear wheel
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: May 3, 2008 at 6:05 Quote
what's the best way to get on the rear wheel? i can get one, maybe two hops, then i tip off. is it good to used the front brake to rock up to the rear? what should i practice to get better?

Posted: May 3, 2008 at 9:05 Quote
lower your tire pressure a bit, get to a low-ish gear, lower your seat

Posted: May 3, 2008 at 9:10 Quote
KOTAlexC wrote:
lower your tire pressure a bit, get to a low-ish gear, lower your seat

dont do that mate
lower tyre pressure is harder to learn on .....
dont use ur front brake
pedal kick it up and for a easier hop bend ur knees and spring them back up
if you want an easier way use ur body to hop not ur leg...try it...

but just bend ur body/knees with the hops and spring the hips

trust me dont lower ur pressure u'll stick to the ground mate

Posted: May 3, 2008 at 9:23 Quote
i'm not sure if he knows how to pedal kick yet bud. and lowering tire pressure a bit will help with balance, rebound won't be affected that much. rocking up to rear from the front is a good place to start too, and then when you get used to the weight shift and motions

Posted: May 3, 2008 at 9:41 Quote
Practice, practice, then practice some more.

There's a few basic skills I hope you have mastered before moving to back wheel hops, like track standing and hopping on the spot with both wheels and rocking front to back.

Start by hopping with your front wheel on a bench (about 16-20" high) and practice hopping some more. When you're comfortable doing that, start shifting your weight back and lifting your front wheel off the bench for a few hops, then set it back down.
From flat ground, one of the easiest ways to get onto the rear wheel is to endo, then rock back onto the rear wheel. Using a pedal "kick" is a little more complex as you have to properly time a few different things at once.

Posted: May 3, 2008 at 23:10 Quote
Rear hops are in essence correctional hops to steady yourself to do the next maneuver. Some guys are so good in their balance you only see one or two hops and they are stalled on their back wheel then execute their planned move. Picture if you will hoping on a pogo stick how you would correct forward and back, side to side to stay up. Now try to translate that to your bike. And like as mentioned by another, keep the knees bent! You will find it easier to shift your weight around to stabilize yourself.

Posted: May 5, 2008 at 6:17 Quote
thanks for all the good advice. i was wondering if the weight of the bike would effect the level of skill required to complete this manuver? i am currently riding a 07 devinci hucker, approx. 35 lbs.

Posted: May 5, 2008 at 7:32 Quote
I'm pretty sure geometry would help a LOT, I went from an 04 evolve (had the same problem as you) to a long stock trials bike and got a lot better, but still, it ALL comes down to practice.

I did to the front brake rock to rear and now kinda regret it. When learning (which I still am I guess) I do a pedal stroke, bring your power foot up about 60 degrees from flat, then crank down, lean WAY back and lift the front end up to get up, once you're pretty much falling off the back hit the rear brake and (if done properly) you'll be up in the rear. But a warning, it takes a LOT of practice to get it. Once you in that position, just start hopping like they suggest up there.

If you want more advanced then it's the lurch to rear (similar as above, but hoping when the front end is raising)

Posted: May 6, 2008 at 1:42 Quote
Check this out for a visual

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRLi1U61u4g&feature=related

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.012223
Mobile Version of Website