BMX vs DIRT JUMPER

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
BMX vs DIRT JUMPER
  • Previous Page
Posted: May 22, 2008 at 23:16 Quote
I know this topic has been beaten to death and I searched but none of the threads gave me the answer I'm looking for. I've been bmxing for about 8 years but I haven't been on my bike in the past 2. I'm getting back into it but now that I'm older and have a lot of responsibilites I can't afford to get hurt anymore, I want to take it easy at the dirt jumps. No more big tricks, I plan on just doing what I know and cruising the 6 packs.

My question is, would I be able to launch as high as I can on a bmx? Or should I say would it be just as easy or easier. I can see dirt jump bikes being a lot smoother and more forgiving especially on the wrists. I would love to go out and try it for myself but none of my friends have dirt jumpers that I could borrow. if anyone has any personal experience, if you've done both bmx and mountain bike dirt jumping any info would be great. I should add that it'll only be used for dirt jumps and trails. I have my bmx for street.

PS: What would be better 24" or 26" and why?

Posted: May 23, 2008 at 9:38 Quote
you should use seach.

if youre into riding trails then a bmx is what you should ride. however some people find them a little twitchy. if you ride proper trails you should go for a 20" or a nice compact 24" mtb (bmx cruisers are filth). 26" wheels should stay on the dh tracks and round xc routes, theyre just not as good as 24" for riding trails for very obvious reasons

Posted: May 23, 2008 at 22:12 Quote
"Filth"? I don`t know about that....

O+
Posted: May 23, 2008 at 22:18 Quote
Kbone wrote:
I know this topic has been beaten to death and I searched but none of the threads gave me the answer I'm looking for. I've been bmxing for about 8 years but I haven't been on my bike in the past 2. I'm getting back into it but now that I'm older and have a lot of responsibilites I can't afford to get hurt anymore, I want to take it easy at the dirt jumps. No more big tricks, I plan on just doing what I know and cruising the 6 packs.

My question is, would I be able to launch as high as I can on a bmx? Or should I say would it be just as easy or easier. I can see dirt jump bikes being a lot smoother and more forgiving especially on the wrists. I would love to go out and try it for myself but none of my friends have dirt jumpers that I could borrow. if anyone has any personal experience, if you've done both bmx and mountain bike dirt jumping any info would be great. I should add that it'll only be used for dirt jumps and trails. I have my bmx for street.

PS: What would be better 24" or 26" and why?
Get a 24" bike, lighter, stronger, don't need the extra size on dj's. With a rigid fork, you could probably boost as high, but if you want comfort, a sus. fork will do you just fine. Might not go as high, but oh well.

Posted: May 23, 2008 at 22:22 Quote
bmx, but i am biasedWink

a 26 is just a lot more to manhandle, and not as easy to manuever. but probably more comfortable than a bmx.

Posted: May 23, 2008 at 23:28 Quote
I ride both, I would def. take my MTB over my BMX any day. Sure the bmx is great for learnign tricks and such, since its so easy to flick around, but a MTb just feels so much natural to me.

Only problem is MTbs are soooo much more expencive then BMX bikes, also they break easyer, weigh more, and are harder to transport.

But I still love MTB.

Posted: May 23, 2008 at 23:37 Quote
the 24 vs. 26 is very controversial but for dirt jumping 26 will roll over rocks and dirt clumps easier giving you a smoother ride making it better imo.

Posted: May 23, 2008 at 23:45 Quote
A mountain bike might make you feel safer one you get used to riding it. And 24 or 26 inch rims are both fairly close. I personally wouldn't pay extra money for 24 inch rims And a four inch fork is nice on the wrists.

Posted: May 24, 2008 at 0:40 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
the 24 vs. 26 is very controversial but for dirt jumping 26 will roll over rocks and dirt clumps easier giving you a smoother ride making it better imo.

what sort of jumps do you ride? my jumps definately dont have rocks and 'dirt clumps' in them, nor should anyones. cant see youre point about 26 being better, its clear that 24" is better for dirt/street and park.

neither are 24" more expensive, the rims are the same price if not cheaper, and you can get great value factory wheels too

O+
Posted: May 24, 2008 at 7:39 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:

But heavier and harder to flick around, so worse IMO. I don't know what kind of jumps you're riding, but mine don't have rocks and dirt clumps in them so 24" is perfect.

zaidmac wrote:
A mountain bike might make you feel safer one you get used to riding it. And 24 or 26 inch rims are both fairly close. I personally wouldn't pay extra money for 24 inch rims And a four inch fork is nice on the wrists.

24" rims are cheaper than 26's.

O+
Posted: May 24, 2008 at 7:40 Quote
Haha wow, gutkrencher. Looks like we think similarly...good points Wink .

Posted: May 24, 2008 at 10:11 Quote
truffles wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:

But heavier and harder to flick around, so worse IMO. I don't know what kind of jumps you're riding, but mine don't have rocks and dirt clumps in them so 24" is perfect.

zaidmac wrote:

i Build and test ride allot of my own jumps meaning i may have a bumpy run in.

Posted: May 24, 2008 at 13:43 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
truffles wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:

zaidmac wrote:

cool, spend some time on a building a nice run in with pumps bumps and stuff

Posted: May 24, 2008 at 14:15 Quote
Before I create another thread im going to ask here as this is related. I have always ridden skateparks and street on bmx but have always found the dirt jumps a little harder as near me they're always a little run down and its hard to maintain speed with small wheels. I am considering a new bmx build but want to know if you can build a 26" mtb which rides similarly to a bmx? Can people recomend me a frame which will run 26" and be short enough to spin on flat and also fit a suspension fork if need be? I am very light on frames so as light as possible, preferably short back end and not too high front end. I also am finding transfering tricks from bmx - mtb difficult so thats part of the reason I'm considering a compact mtb frame. Thanks

O+
Posted: May 24, 2008 at 19:10 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
truffles wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:

zaidmac wrote:

I build all my own jumps and my run ins are fine...just spend an extra hour or two grooming.

To guy above, check out a Dobermann frame...I don't know too much about them, but they have super short chain stays. Another company to check out is NS.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.008966
Mobile Version of Website