What is diff between SX/ XC/Freeride/ and downhill, and what are the uses of each

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle

What is diff between SX/ XC/Freeride/ and downhill, and what are the uses of each

Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jun 8, 2008 at 20:41 Quote
Hi,

Can you tell me the differnce between these styles?

SX/ XC/Freeride/ and downhill,
and what are the uses of each?

Thanks,

Luke

Posted: Jun 8, 2008 at 20:57 Quote
sx isnt a discipline its a bike, and freeride is jumps and such, downhill is racing on sanctioned courses down hills for time, and xc is cross country which consists of long rides with uphill and downhill also against the clock.

Posted: Jun 9, 2008 at 6:27 Quote
Hi,

Thanks for info.

Now to broaden the discussion.

What is the difference between sx bikes, dh bikes, and freeride bikes.

I just sold a rocky mountain grind ( http://bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeSpecs.aspx?ItemID=39351&Type=bike )

And now i'm trying to decide on my next bike. I do some jumping, and defintely like the down hill single track stuff, but I also spend alot of time biking in and around the city, so something with a little top end wouldn't hurt.

ANy thoughts on the appropriate bike?

Posted: Jun 9, 2008 at 6:31 Quote
if you can afford it buy 2.

dj bike for street riding and dj,and a freeride bike for dh and anything else.

Posted: Jun 9, 2008 at 7:56 Quote
lukedecoste wrote:
Hi,

Thanks for info.

Now to broaden the discussion.

What is the difference between sx bikes, dh bikes, and freeride bikes.

I just sold a rocky mountain grind ( http://bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeSpecs.aspx?ItemID=39351&Type=bike )

And now i'm trying to decide on my next bike. I do some jumping, and defintely like the down hill single track stuff, but I also spend alot of time biking in and around the city, so something with a little top end wouldn't hurt.

ANy thoughts on the appropriate bike?
http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/images/sp/specialized-sx-trail-fsr-2-2007-mountain-bike.jpg
Specialized SX Trail (essentially the sx trail is one of the best freeride bikes, along with the Transition Bottle Rocket and some others. Freeride bikes usually have less travel than dh bikes, and single crown forks to allow for tricks. they also have different geometry to allow for no foot can cans etc. A lot of times they have a slacker fork angle and lower bottom bracket as well.)

http://rbikes.com/merchant/482/images/large/v10_blk_071805_360.jpg
Typical DH Bike (around 8-10 inches of travel, dual crown fork, etc)

A good bike for you would depend on your riding style. If you do a lot of jumping, get a hardtail with adjustable travel on the fork, so you can raise it for dh, lower it for dj, and lockout so you can lock it out around town when you are commuting. If you like more dh but still want to jump a little look into a bike like a reign or a kona bas. If you give me some info as in price range, riding style i can help you more.

Posted: Jun 9, 2008 at 8:26 Quote
Hey man, thanks for info.

So the Sx is an actual specialized bike.. got it.

You said get a hard tail with adjustable travel..... I thought a hard tail meant no rear suspension ? i assume i'm wrong.

I already have a road bike, so, although i'm going for my second, i dont think i can go for a third so i'll have to find a hybrid that meets my needs.

I'm not sure exactly how to define riding style. i'm in the city of calgary, and 75% of my riding takes place there. with the odd trip to take place to the mountain.

there are lots of single narrow track downhill stuff that i enjoy doing, as well as giving a crack at going back up them. The jumping I do would rarely be higher than a 3' drop. Catwalking is also something I enjoy. I had a downhill bike, but with only 16 gears I didn't think i'd be much able to keep up with my friend with a 28 speed.

To sum it up, I'd like to race along an asphalt path for a few minutes, then bomb down a single track on the side of the hill, then at the bottom gap a 2' set of stairs and finish in a catwalk.......

Price range, i'm in the market for a used bike under a grand. doesn't matter if its a few years ld as long as meets the needs. Although likely it can be assumed, i'd need the disc brakes and rapid fire shifters.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Posted: Jun 9, 2008 at 9:04 Quote
lukedecoste wrote:
Hey man, thanks for info.

So the Sx is an actual specialized bike.. got it.

You said get a hard tail with adjustable travel..... I thought a hard tail meant no rear suspension ? i assume i'm wrong.

I already have a road bike, so, although i'm going for my second, i dont think i can go for a third so i'll have to find a hybrid that meets my needs.

I'm not sure exactly how to define riding style. i'm in the city of calgary, and 75% of my riding takes place there. with the odd trip to take place to the mountain.

there are lots of single narrow track downhill stuff that i enjoy doing, as well as giving a crack at going back up them. The jumping I do would rarely be higher than a 3' drop. Catwalking is also something I enjoy. I had a downhill bike, but with only 16 gears I didn't think i'd be much able to keep up with my friend with a 28 speed.

To sum it up, I'd like to race along an asphalt path for a few minutes, then bomb down a single track on the side of the hill, then at the bottom gap a 2' set of stairs and finish in a catwalk.......

Price range, i'm in the market for a used bike under a grand. doesn't matter if its a few years ld as long as meets the needs. Although likely it can be assumed, i'd need the disc brakes and rapid fire shifters.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

yeah hardtails have forks still, and for doing jumps and stuff they are generally in the 80-100mm range to make the bike pop off of a lip better. For trail riding it is better to have more to soak up bumps and obstacles in the trail. It sounds like what you need is an all mountain bike. Some good choices with a medium price range might be specialized enduros, giant reigns, giant trances, cheaper bikes might be some ironhorses or something similar. The higher price range includes things like santa cruz blurs, santa cruz nomads, and intense hardtails. If I were you i would try and find a specialized enduro from a couple of years ago, or a giant trance/reign...they will be the best bike for the value. Good luck!

Posted: Jun 9, 2008 at 9:11 Quote
An XC bike is generally a light weight hardtail or full suspension bike. The frame geometry makes them easy to pedal at higher speeds for long distances. Front forks are generally in the 100mm travel range, and rear suspension (if present) is generally in the 100mm travel range as well. XC bikes handle city riding well, and they love single track. XC bikes are not "necessarily" built to handle drops of more then a couple of feet or big stair gaps.

DH bikes are heavier bikes with both front and rear suspension. Their geometry makes for good stability over bumps, in the air, and rocking down steep slopes. Front and rear suspension travel are upwards of 150mm (probably open to debate). DH bikes are generally not geared to be pedaled at high speeds, but more so to climb hills etc. A DH bike will handle basically any single track or drop that a sane person would want to throw at it. City riding (as you may have discovered with your grind) can be a challenge.

FR bikes (as far as I know) are a close cousin of DH bikes. Generally hard tail, with front suspension. Mainly used for jumping (drops, dirt jumps, other riding parks). Definetly not a city riding machine, but can comfortably ride single track, smoother DH trails , and most concrete things in a city.

So, that's my opinion on the matter. I may have missed a few points, but I think I got the basics. Please feel free to correct or add to what I have said.

As for a suitable ride? I have no real idea. Best advice I can offer is see what bikes are for sale in your price range and check reviews on mtbr.com

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2014. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv92 0.014770
Mobile Version of Website