Diabetic Riders

Posted: Oct 29, 2016 at 18:04 Quote
Holy shit, Minimed DID update their sensors! f*ck yeah!!

Posted: Oct 29, 2016 at 20:10 Quote
Get them,, gotta e comfortable... i cante even feel mine and i tape it on with fabric tape so now i get 203 weeks per sensor.. win!!

Posted: Oct 29, 2016 at 20:20 Quote
f*ckin a!! Really glad that it all finally came together for you! Smile

Posted: Oct 31, 2016 at 3:27 Quote
Now you can eat donuts.

Side question: How do you guys handle alcohol? I find that wine is a fairly mellow spike for me where beer is almost faster than juice. Wine will tend to drop it lower after about 5 hours, where beer will make it higher after about 5 hours.

Posted: Oct 31, 2016 at 8:22 Quote
phatplat wrote:
Now you can eat donuts.

Side question: How do you guys handle alcohol? I find that wine is a fairly mellow spike for me where beer is almost faster than juice. Wine will tend to drop it lower after about 5 hours, where beer will make it higher after about 5 hours.
I have all but stopped drinking beer. I just can't justify the insulin it demands and it does spike me in a hurry.

I will sip on a little whisky now and then, sometimes a glass of wine, but for the most part I've given it up.

Posted: Oct 31, 2016 at 8:25 Quote
Any of you T1 experts experience weight gain from Novolog? I have packed on about 8 pounds in the last 90 days, my first on Novolog as my full time pump juice. I have admittedly been eating more carbs than before, riding a bit less, and because my job requires lots of travel, not eaten perfectly, but it seems to be out of balance with what I would expect.

Plus, getting this reversed has been a bitch.

Posted: Oct 31, 2016 at 13:35 Quote
Alcohol takes priority in metabolism. That's why lows are especially dangerous when you're drinking, because your body will metabolize the alcohol before any carbs. That's also why your blood sugar may seem to drop initially, then spike later.

I used to drink.. And I mean DRINK lol. Quarter gallon of vodka straight out the bottle or a case of beer a day was no biggie, and a regular occurrence for some time. I don't drink all that much anymore, because dying at 40 from a broken liver/kidneys kind of sucks. I keep it to a few shots or a six pack these days.

Wish I could give more advice on controlling blood sugars when imbibing, but I was far too drunk to take note of any patterns haha. And nowadays, I don't drink often at all, so rarely pay attention to why my blood sugar changes when drinking, and just react when it does.

How much weight have you gained? Not riding, eating unhealthful food, and having a sedentary job will add weight surprisingly fast. An extra 500 calories eaten or not burned daily can add 2 pounds a week. The solution is simple- count your calories, and keep a daily log of them. I know, I know. Diabetes log? Okay. Calorie log too?! f*ck you, Tyler Durden!! lol But if ya wanna lose that weight, ya gotta do it. Eating 500 less calories a day will also cause you to lose 2 pounds a week.

I will say that most insulins do tend to cause fat gain at the injection site itself. If you're only injecting in one place and not rotating sites, and that is where the fat seems to be accumulating, then rotate your sites and you should see an improvement. What body type do you have? Naturally lean/skinny, naturally muscular, or naturally chubby/husky?

I'm lucky as hell to have such a fast metabolism.. I can eat 5,000 calories a day, everyday, for months on end, all while being lazy as f*ck, and not gain a pound. The thing that sucks is when I'm weight lifting and want to put on muscle, I've gotta eat 8,000-10,000 calories a day. As wonderful as that sounds.. It gets old fast lol

Posted: Oct 31, 2016 at 21:18 Quote
therealtylerdurden wrote:

How much weight have you gained? Not riding, eating unhealthful food, and having a sedentary job will add weight surprisingly fast.

What body type do you have? Naturally lean/skinny, naturally muscular, or naturally chubby/husky?

I've gained about 8 pounds in 90 days. My job is by no means sedentary, but just to give you an idea, in that 90 days I've been to Alaska, Peru, Qatar, Maine....it's ridiculous. In short, controlling a "normal" diet is tough. As is a calorie log. How many carbs are in Peruvian grilled guinea pig or Dahl Bat in Nepal? LOL. Beats the shit out of me.

As for body type, I'm a former pro road cyclist (don't hold that against me). So, I've always been very lean. Just recently i feel that my normal attempts to stay lean have been thwarted by either age (44) or this Novolog BS. Me thinks the latter.

Anyway, just curious if others have had similar indications.

Posted: Nov 1, 2016 at 3:17 Quote
Sounds like it makes sense with your current activities. What is your age? I know my dad said he turned 30 and went poof, but I think it was because he just had his third kid and started to eat poorly. I guess what I am saying is that metabolism/diet/habits are all variables here, especially if you were a former road guy. I bet your metabolism is used to a certain standard and when it is not met your body reverts.

I find that the wine is easier on the sugar (somehow) but a harsher drunk. I stick to a few beers a day at 15 carbs or so per. I also used to drink a lot, it was my only priority (depression) and the bar was home. Now I just drink to enjoy the flavor. This reminds me of the N/A beers too, more sugar because it is used to mimic the alcohol flavor or something, not good at all.

Posted: Nov 1, 2016 at 12:36 Quote
I dont really drink, but when i do its rum ( rapid carbs.. easy to dose for ) or dark beer cause its also for me easier to dose for.. a guiness takes 2.25 cc of insulin over an hour.

Posted: Nov 1, 2016 at 15:02 Quote
2.25 CC?! Sounds like a diabetic suicide!

Posted: Nov 1, 2016 at 16:03 Quote
Quitou wrote:
therealtylerdurden wrote:

How much weight have you gained? Not riding, eating unhealthful food, and having a sedentary job will add weight surprisingly fast.

What body type do you have? Naturally lean/skinny, naturally muscular, or naturally chubby/husky?

I've gained about 8 pounds in 90 days. My job is by no means sedentary, but just to give you an idea, in that 90 days I've been to Alaska, Peru, Qatar, Maine....it's ridiculous. In short, controlling a "normal" diet is tough. As is a calorie log. How many carbs are in Peruvian grilled guinea pig or Dahl Bat in Nepal? LOL. Beats the shit out of me.

As for body type, I'm a former pro road cyclist (don't hold that against me). So, I've always been very lean. Just recently i feel that my normal attempts to stay lean have been thwarted by either age (44) or this Novolog BS. Me thinks the latter.

Anyway, just curious if others have had similar indications.

Ahhhh, duh, you already said that in your first post.

Guessing carbs in a meal comes with time, even obscure or exotic food.

We got a roadie in here?! You don't belong here man! Wink

I googles if Novolog could cause weight fain, and apparently it can in some people. It can cause sodium retention, which causes water retention.. Are you on any other meds?

Posted: Nov 2, 2016 at 7:45 Quote
Isn't 1CC = 1ML?

Posted: Nov 2, 2016 at 14:52 Quote
Yes.. But one IU (international unit) or insulin is 0.01 ml/cc. So 1cc = 100 units of insulin.

Posted: Nov 2, 2016 at 18:26 Quote
No, guiness is super carby . 100 units per beer Salute

lol

you are correct.. somewhere in that im sure ^ we use U-100 insulin, so there is a break down on that, and my syringe doses were .5 cc ( to my knowledge ) of u-100 insulin..

my pump does not tell me the units, but a guiness is 2.25 units per beer ( so 0.225 cc ?! ) BAH,. 2.25 units. Smile

Please dont anybody take 100 units of insulin.. ever.
Smile

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012220
Mobile Version of Website