The Edmonton trails have gone to the Farking DOGS.......

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
The Edmonton trails have gone to the Farking DOGS.......
Posted: Oct 19, 2007 at 9:54 Quote
Tell your Dad to get off that STUPID recumbant bike, and get a real bicycle! LOL!
Just Jokin!
If not, maybe he shouldn't ride near off-leash areas, ride on the highway. It is a better workout, and he won't have to worry about the idiot dogs!
Sorry I was so rude earlier BTW!
The by-law states that ALL dogs must be on a leash no longer than 2m when on or near the paved pathway! Even in off-leash areas! Tell him to remind the owners about that, and that he would feel really bad if he hurt the dog, and had to sue them if he broke his wrist wiping out because of their dog! It makes them think!

Posted: Oct 19, 2007 at 10:37 Quote
Dude, we are talking about Dogs, not your unhealthy fear of the laid back crowd.

Posted: Oct 19, 2007 at 10:57 Quote
This is the reson I want a Loud rear hub they can hear you comeing from far away Here in B.C people are Dumb with there dogs a take them Rideing then get mad if you all most hit it Get the MUT of the trailes and plus they dont clean up after it ever wipes out and land in Dog crap i never have But it did happen to a Buddy of mine It was SOO bad and nothing you can do your rideing in the back of the truck home lol

Posted: Oct 19, 2007 at 19:51 Quote
vonrock wrote:
But I suspect that it is not the dog's fault. These are shared use areas. That does not mean that you have a right to go a million miles an hour with little to no regard for the other users of this area. When you see people or dogs or children on your trail, SLOW THE f*ck DOWN to walking speed, smile and say hello. I always whistle and call out to dogs (in that 'good doggie' voice) as soon as I see them. Some dogs can be quite daft and often can't see or hear you and can't judge speed, nor have the mental capacity to yield the right of way. They will get aggressive when they are startled or frightened. Then it's their job to protect the pack and usually they just do what instinct tells them to do. And then as fast as you showed up scaring the shit of them, you ride away looking like a frightened deer begging to be chased.

Yes I suspect that it's not the dogs fault either, but the fault of the owner for not having their potentially aggressive mutt under control. And with all due respect, don't tell me to SLOW THE f*ck DOWN, in two of these instances I was not even in motion at the time. But that's neither here nor there is it? I will concede your point that carrying billy-bats or bear-spray on city trails is a flawed idea at best, but my original post was an exercise in venting my frustration at an incident that had essentially sour-f*cked an epic day.
Perhaps my initial post should have been to see how many Edmontonians here on PB had hassled their city councilor about bike specific greenspace.

Posted: Oct 19, 2007 at 20:37 Quote
shondo wrote:
, don't tell me to SLOW THE f*ck DOWN,

Fair enough shondo dude.

The statement was made not specifically at you, but at any cyclist passing people or pets going too fast. The perceived excessive passing speed that a rider has is always the root of negative relations in a populated multi use areas. I've watched a number of my favorite city rides get closed to bikes due to this very problem, and am perhaps a little touchy on the subject.

Just as there are irresponsible cyclists, there are irresponsible dog owners (and maybe bird watchers too). If you have aggressive off leash dogs and owners wandering around basically threatening people then it's your responsibility as a community member to do something about it. Like I said, I'd be contacting the city, and starting with that route. I know our city is really accessible that way, and we've got some really decent people working in bylaw and animal services (amongst others I'm sure). They want to make things right, and make sure no kid's face gets ripped off by an out of control dog. So let them know that there are problems, and they should get on it.

Bike specific greenspace would be a good idea, but very unlikely in either of our growing cities. However, staying abreast of those issues and being involved in your community instead of just showing up and seeing a "NO BiKING" sign is a really good idea. I know I wish that I had.

Posted: Oct 19, 2007 at 21:22 Quote
vonrock wrote:
Bike specific greenspace would be a good idea, but very unlikely in either of our growing cities. However, staying abreast of those issues and being involved in your community instead of just showing up and seeing a "NO BiKING" sign is a really good idea. I know I wish that I had.

Unlikely yes, probably, but if they build skateparks....they could bloody well surface a pump track or two and a skills zone and a good set of tabletops.
At the very least they could just stop tearing up the best of the natural track and filling it with gravel. I think we'd both agree on that no?

Posted: Oct 20, 2007 at 14:36 Quote
I've noticed that too in the Edmonton area. Especially during races in Edmonton, nearly all the races are still open to public. Its just a nuissance when theres a dog that starts running in front of you when youre trying to concentrate, while the owners just sit an watch it. Itd be nice if they had some consideration for racers and called their dog back. Not all people are like this, but I notice it a lot.

Posted: Oct 24, 2007 at 8:43 Quote
By-law says that all dogs must be on a leash on the paved paths, no longer than 2m!
During races, they just let the mutt run in front of you? Man, I'm glad we only race in K-Country! We only have to worry about running over bears!
My buddy hit one a few years ago! Scared the crap out of the both of them! LOL
His reactin was hilarious when he was asked if he saw the black bear next to the trail by the rider in front of him! "Saw iT?!! I frikkin ran over it!" nursing all the scrapes he got from falling ass over teakettle!

Posted: Oct 29, 2007 at 17:57 Quote
That's nuts! Im bringing bear spray next time I ride there.

O+
Posted: Feb 19, 2008 at 18:49 Quote
The worst situation is when you are riding down the bike path (chasing some rode cyclists) and you come across a person who has a dog on one side of the path and the person is on the other. Then, cry there is a leash between the dog and the owner. There is no way of escaping this (especially if you're on a road bike and you can not go on the mud and dirt).Frown Not that I always road ride mind you.

Posted: Jun 22, 2009 at 22:51 Quote
Reupping this thread, but goddamn now its 2009 and its even worse. i get chased by dogs atleast twice every time i go riding. except on the one trail that goes to anthony henday. thank god no dogs there.

Last saturday i got chased by a dog that was atleast 200 lb;s and it was foaming by the mouth, it chased me clear across the whole park, and as i was going away from it a bunch of other dogs joined it. by the end there were 4 dogs chasing me and i was on a hardtail through really thick grass with bumpy ground. Scary as hell

Posted: Jun 23, 2009 at 11:15 Quote
arekieh wrote:
Reupping this thread, but goddamn now its 2009 and its even worse. i get chased by dogs atleast twice every time i go riding. except on the one trail that goes to anthony henday. thank god no dogs there.

Last saturday i got chased by a dog that was atleast 200 lb;s and it was foaming by the mouth, it chased me clear across the whole park, and as i was going away from it a bunch of other dogs joined it. by the end there were 4 dogs chasing me and i was on a hardtail through really thick grass with bumpy ground. Scary as hell

Not the laugh at your misfortune but AH HAHAHAHAHAHAHA thats so funny.. at least the dogs did not have bees coming out of their mouthes!

Posted: Jun 23, 2009 at 11:23 Quote
lolol,
I was with 3 other people, my brother, brother in law, and his little brother. And they were all just standing there laughing there asses off. As well as the owners of all 4 dogs were just laughing at me. In hindsight it must have been pretty funny but i was so scared its not even funny. Legs were shaking for like 5 min after from the adrenaline lol

Posted: Jun 23, 2009 at 11:31 Quote
ridebike23 wrote:
dogs make a filling meal. problem solved
LOL Razz

Posted: Jun 23, 2009 at 12:56 Quote
arekieh wrote:
lolol,
I was with 3 other people, my brother, brother in law, and his little brother. And they were all just standing there laughing there asses off. As well as the owners of all 4 dogs were just laughing at me. In hindsight it must have been pretty funny but i was so scared its not even funny. Legs were shaking for like 5 min after from the adrenaline lol

I don't think it's funny. I think Edmonton needs to develop some dedicated mtb trail zones. f*ck the dog walkers.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013263
Mobile Version of Website