You know you work in a bikeshop when...

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
You know you work in a bikeshop when...
Posted: Sep 2, 2016 at 11:59 Quote
Tmonster2301 wrote:
sherbet wrote:
Tmonster2301 wrote:

Yeah but I figured that since I'm an employee at a store that sells brand x, but not brand Y, technically I'm not an employee that's related to brand Y, so no EP.

I even asked one of the guys at my shop.

Run what you sell, or what you intend to sell.
We sell all the stuff through QBP if s customer is interested, or are you talking specifically if it's a dealer.

Doesn't DVO distribute through Q? At least they did a couple months ago

Posted: Sep 2, 2016 at 13:20 Quote
Tmonster2301 wrote:
Yes

Well this just came full circle. In Summary:

You buy stuff from QBP...
DVO sells through QBP...
Therefore...

O+
Posted: Sep 2, 2016 at 14:31 Quote
I emailed the guys at DVO and they sent me a form for order whatever I want. DVO Topaz here I come!

Posted: Sep 2, 2016 at 15:07 Quote
Yea man, pretty much any industry brand will hook up industry guys regardless of whether or not you deal them. I get stuff all the time that I know we'll never sell at my shop.

Posted: Sep 2, 2016 at 15:23 Quote
Zenki do you think that would apply to MtB guide/instructors too as that's my job title

Posted: Sep 2, 2016 at 18:02 Quote
ZenkiS14 wrote:
Yea man, pretty much any industry brand will hook up industry guys regardless of whether or not you deal them. I get stuff all the time that I know we'll never sell at my shop.

Find this a little cheesey, unless it's for a style of riding that your shop doesn't carry, IE bmx parts in a road store or the like.

Run what you sell. If it's not good enough for the salesperson to ride, why push it?

Just a personal ethics thing.

Posted: Sep 2, 2016 at 18:17 Quote
anyone who wants dvo but doesn't want to deal with qbp. hit up s4suspension. they carry dvo and xfusion

Posted: Sep 2, 2016 at 18:18 Quote
Deal with qbp?
cjwanner wrote:
Tmonster2301 wrote:
Yes

Well this just came full circle. In Summary:

You buy stuff from QBP...
DVO sells through QBP...
Therefore...
I mentioned that earlier.

Posted: Sep 2, 2016 at 19:31 Quote
sherbet wrote:
ZenkiS14 wrote:

Find this a little cheesey, unless it's for a style of riding that your shop doesn't carry, IE bmx parts in a road store or the like.

Run what you sell. If it's not good enough for the salesperson to ride, why push it?

I can see where you're coming from, but the shop I work at hardly deals with MTB stuff, mostly commuter and road stuff.
so we don't really "Sell" any brand of fork. But with complete bikes I tend to stick with the brands we carry (I only have Konas currently)

As for my fork I have a Suntour Durolux that I got at EP pricing and it is great.

Posted: Sep 2, 2016 at 19:39 Quote
That's exactly what I meant by the first line. If you can't get anything similar at your shop, obviously go elsewhere. Your product should always be the first choice though.

Fortunate at the new shop, we carry everything, even some wintersport stuff. Don't even need to consider looking around.

Posted: Sep 2, 2016 at 19:42 Quote
if I were to buy from what brand we sold I would either get a Gambler from one of the worst distributors of all time that I don't want to support, or a Glory, which I didn't like, small was too small and the mediums a bit tall for my liking. I'm going to run what I like, not what I can get through work. (Ended up getting EP anyway).

Posted: Sep 2, 2016 at 19:45 Quote
I bet that's really re-assuing to your customers.

On the other side, holy shit is it nice having first hand experience with a bunch of stuff we have in store, and knowing that if I don't, I have several colleagues who do. Guess that's the radness of selling shit you stand behind and promote.

Posted: Sep 2, 2016 at 19:55 Quote
I definitely understand your point, and the last bike I had was one we sold, and it didn't do what I needed it to, so I replaced it with something that did. Knowing what a bike can't do is still experience.

If you must know, at that point I was already looking for a different job so who gives a shit, i knew the bike would outlast my time there so I'll build what I damn well please.

Posted: Sep 2, 2016 at 19:56 Quote
sherbet wrote:
ZenkiS14 wrote:

Well yea, I work for a Trek store, and ride all Trek's, outfitted in 99% Bontrager stuff all the time, because 1. it's good stuff, but 2. I ride what I sell. But there are definitely some things that we will never stock/sell that I buy from companies at cost because I work in the industry.

For example, my shop will never stock a MRP Stage fork, just because the owner will never want to spend the money to have one sitting on the floor, but MRP doesnt mind taking care of me.

Same with Five-Ten, we are an XC/Road store, and owner has no interest in stocking 5.10 shoes, but 5.10 extends a pro-deal to me for being in the industry.

I have 6 Spank wheels that I have built now, we've never sold a single one through the shop, because no one builds custom 26" wheels where I a live, but Spank doesn't mind taking care of me for my personal stuff.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.018133
Mobile Version of Website