You know you work in a bikeshop when...

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
You know you work in a bikeshop when...
Posted: Oct 11, 2016 at 19:28 Quote
Oh also with GT my buddy built up a Fury recently. Their DHL options seem better than the trail bike options.

Posted: Oct 11, 2016 at 19:38 Quote
BenSawyer wrote:
ZenkiS14 wrote:
Any Trek shop guys get to play with the new Bontrager Line Pro 40 wheels in person yet?

yeah. they're pretty cool. got to ride them on a new fuel ex 27.5+

Have you played with putting normal sized tires on them yet? like a set of 2.4 XR4's? I think I need a set of those wheels for my Fuel EX

O+
Posted: Oct 14, 2016 at 15:21 Quote
ZenkiS14 wrote:
BenSawyer wrote:
ZenkiS14 wrote:
Any Trek shop guys get to play with the new Bontrager Line Pro 40 wheels in person yet?

yeah. they're pretty cool. got to ride them on a new fuel ex 27.5+

Have you played with putting normal sized tires on them yet? like a set of 2.4 XR4's? I think I need a set of those wheels for my Fuel EX

I don't think I would want to run them with anything less than a 2.8. 40mm internal is damn wide for a traditional tire, and there aren't any tire manufacturers out there now making molds for tires designed around rims that wide.

If you did do it, it would make all the tires super square, and I don't think that they would ride or corner well. We're even seeing that with 30mm internal tires. Most companies are still using the same tire molds from 5 years ago, and it creates super sharp edges that will corner weird. I'd definitely get the regular line wheels, but if you're looking at not running a plus tire, the Pro 40 is going to be too wide

Posted: Oct 15, 2016 at 11:53 Quote
Is it worth the unknown wait for a 2017 Enduro comp 29.

Or should I be looking at other bikes, I'm not going to be riding a whole lot until January, when I get to start riding a shit ton cus Ill have a full licence (watch out).

Do you guys think ill be waiting into the new year?

Posted: Oct 15, 2016 at 14:22 Quote
Here in Canada at our shop, I know we're waiting until spring booking for Enduros, not sure if that's by choice or not (probably not).

Honestly unless you're racing enduro, I'd buy a stumpy instead. And you'll get one of those right away. The Enduro is just an excessive amount of bike for the vast majority of people, even guys who shred, you need some burly terrain to ride it on to make it worth all that travel.

Posted: Oct 15, 2016 at 19:37 Quote
I ride a 140mm travel rear 160 front Banshee Spitfire and have never felt out gunned riding in colorado, and we have real mountains Big Grin . I would probably get the stumpy.

On a side note, we just got the new scotts in and the new spark may be the first scott bike I would actually own. fox 34 dropper post and relatively slack ht angle would make it one fun trail bike.

O+
Posted: Oct 15, 2016 at 21:19 Quote
any of you have any experience with trying to bring in very small brand bikes to your shop? Such as Canfield, Gierrila Gravity, and other small brands?

O+
Posted: Oct 15, 2016 at 21:35 Quote
Not really related to mtb, but we have basso, a pretty small road company and its great. We stock 2 of their bikes and order most in. Super good dealing with them.

O+
Posted: Oct 15, 2016 at 23:11 Quote
Tmonster2301 wrote:

Or should I be looking at other bikes, I'm not going to be riding a whole lot until January, when I get to start riding a shit ton cus Ill have a full licence (watch out).

You live in Kansas. Buy a stumpy.. If your really not happy with it after you put some solid time in on it, flip it mid summer and buy an enduro..

O+
Posted: Oct 16, 2016 at 0:14 Quote
Giladgu wrote:
any of you have any experience with trying to bring in very small brand bikes to your shop? Such as Canfield, Gierrila Gravity, and other small brands?

Got set up with Canfield here. Was pretty simple. Just drop them an email and they will send the application. You'll need a copy of your resellers permit too.

O+
Posted: Oct 16, 2016 at 6:44 Quote
swan3609 wrote:
Tmonster2301 wrote:

You live in Kansas. Buy a stumpy.. If your really not happy with it after you put some solid time in on it, flip it mid summer and buy an enduro..
get a camber Evo.

Posted: Oct 16, 2016 at 8:45 Quote
Giladgu wrote:
swan3609 wrote:
Tmonster2301 wrote:

get a camber Evo.
SX Trail?

Posted: Oct 16, 2016 at 12:58 Quote
swan3609 wrote:
Tmonster2301 wrote:

spec can pull your EP privileges if they catch you reselling in less than a year.

Posted: Oct 16, 2016 at 13:25 Quote
Nobble wrote:
swan3609 wrote:
Tmonster2301 wrote:

spec can pull your EP privileges if they catch you reselling in less than a year.
Yup, and the new shop I'm working at is probably one of the biggest chains in the world, so It wouldn't be to easy to stealthily sell it lol

My bosses Santa Cruz Hightower that he disliked magically disappeared though after 2 months of owner ship....

I'm looking into that route but if I wait and get what I really want I think I would be happier, plus my hardtail now has deore brakes, gx group, enve carbon bars, stans arch mk3 wheels, a reverb and a new fox 32 on it. I think I can handle riding that for the winter.

Edit:and depending on my new pay rate I might be able to afford the pro level.

Posted: Oct 16, 2016 at 13:27 Quote
seanondemand wrote:
Giladgu wrote:
swan3609 wrote:

get a camber Evo.
SX Trail?
lol

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.181579
Mobile Version of Website