You know you work in a bikeshop when...

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
You know you work in a bikeshop when...
Posted: Dec 21, 2016 at 19:15 Quote
What's your favorite online spoke length calculator?

Posted: Dec 21, 2016 at 19:16 Quote
ZenkiS14 wrote:
What's your favorite online spoke length calculator?
prowheelbuilder.com

Posted: Dec 21, 2016 at 19:26 Quote
Still a fan of the DT-Swiss one. There all pretty much the same, but honestly take your own measurements. Preloaded measurements will bite you in the ass.

Posted: Dec 21, 2016 at 20:32 Quote
k-m-z wrote:
Still a fan of the DT-Swiss one. There all pretty much the same, but honestly take your own measurements. Preloaded measurements will bite you in the ass.

Yea, I always use the measurements provided by the manufacturer.

Also, So this is my first time building wheels with different size flanges f/r and l/r..I really don't want to buy 4 different boxes of spokes lol How much wiggle room +/- is there on spoke length reccomendations?

Posted: Dec 21, 2016 at 20:33 Quote
Give us the combo and we'll wipe your ass. Again... lol

Posted: Dec 21, 2016 at 20:34 Quote
Ooof brutal lol This isn't my first rodeo, will be by 5th set of wheels I've built lol

Just bored at home at night, and figured I'd make conversation about it lol

Posted: Dec 21, 2016 at 20:38 Quote
Go hang with boy! My little shit is already standing and raising hell. Plus I think he is starting to teeth. Pissah!

Posted: Dec 21, 2016 at 20:44 Quote
hes been down for hours lol

little dude threw a shit fit tonight before finally falling asleep

Posted: Dec 21, 2016 at 21:17 Quote
Use sapim spokes instead of DT swiss. Nearly every distributor of them lets you buy them individually or in bags of 50.

Posted: Dec 21, 2016 at 21:35 Quote
I'm a fan of the DT swiss calculator since it lets you save wheelbuilds and it approximates total weight.

O+
Posted: Dec 21, 2016 at 22:27 Quote
ZenkiS14 wrote:
k-m-z wrote:

Also, So this is my first time building wheels with different size flanges f/r and l/r..I really don't want to buy 4 different boxes of spokes lol How much wiggle room +/- is there on spoke length reccomendations?

I wouldn't go further than 2mm. I do't have a lot of wheels under my belt (13), but that seems to be the golden number for my skill.

Posted: Dec 21, 2016 at 22:52 Quote
superging wrote:
ZenkiS14 wrote:
k-m-z wrote:

I wouldn't go further than 2mm. I do't have a lot of wheels under my belt (13), but that seems to be the golden number for my skill.

If you want to cheat in a sense you can use a 16mm nipples and that will cover you for using slightly shorter spokes. Most of the time you have about +/-1mm of wiggle room without exposed threads.

Posted: Dec 22, 2016 at 0:59 Quote
I have had pretty consistent luck with a 2mm or less difference between.

Have gone as far at 3mm (living on the f*cking edge!!!!).

I feel like there's so much wank in wheel building.

Posted: Dec 22, 2016 at 7:00 Quote
Left Front: 254.5
Right Front: 258.2
Left Rear: 255.9
Right Rear 254.1

Edit: found a box of 256's in my basement, so I can just buy some 258's and 254's and be good. Rad.

Now, DT Swiss calculator calculates a 258.2 length spoke, but then reccomends a 257...why?

Posted: Dec 22, 2016 at 9:56 Quote
ZenkiS14 wrote:
Left Front: 254.5
Right Front: 258.2
Left Rear: 255.9
Right Rear 254.1

Edit: found a box of 256's in my basement, so I can just buy some 258's and 254's and be good. Rad.

Now, DT Swiss calculator calculates a 258.2 length spoke, but then reccomends a 257...why?

Id use the 256 and get just enough for the 258. If you go by the 2mm rule. You could just use 256 for all

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.048342
Mobile Version of Website