Turning a bmx into a trials bike

PB Forum :: Observed Biketrials
Turning a bmx into a trials bike
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jun 22, 2008 at 4:02 Quote
Ive got an old bmx and want to know how i could turn it in to a trials bike.

Posted: Jun 22, 2008 at 4:07 Quote
Different stem and bars... smallest crankset you can. Powerful brakes, cut off the seatpost....

Posted: Jun 22, 2008 at 4:22 Quote
ye a really long trails stem like this
then really wide flat bars. a decent set of brakes and some different gearing

Posted: Jun 22, 2008 at 8:36 Quote
You might want to cut the frame up and weld it into a trials bike, cause a bmx frame is nowhere close to the geometry of a trials bike.

I know they look similar to the untrained eye, but if you look at them side by side you will notice they are not related to eachother in any other way besides having 20" wheels.

Your better of starting on an old 26" mountain bike than a bmx, you will progress a lot further, then if down the road you feel like buying a real trials bike, then you can make the switch to 20" wheels, It won't be as hard as you think.

Posted: Jun 22, 2008 at 10:12 Quote
Bah, he probably doesn't want to cut it up.

Its not the right thing... but honest to god, if you're starting. Do it. I made a "mod" out of a bmx five years ago and learned alot.

Just do it, get some experience and save for a real bike.

Posted: Jun 22, 2008 at 14:40 Quote
dude u should just get 500 and buy a used trials bike....like a norco instead.....it would be alot easyer

Posted: Jun 22, 2008 at 17:53 Quote
chronic-poker wrote:
Bah, he probably doesn't want to cut it up.

Its not the right thing... but honest to god, if you're starting. Do it. I made a "mod" out of a bmx five years ago and learned alot.

Just do it, get some experience and save for a real bike.

Ha, I was just being sarcastic about that.

Posted: Jun 22, 2008 at 20:32 Quote
bigquoteslike a norco instead.
NO!

I'm getting sick of non trials riders coming onto this section of the forum and giving "trials" advice.

Don't modify your bmx bike. Leave it as a bmx, it will not make a very good trials bike at all...you'd be better off with a 26" mountain bike or something...

Posted: Jun 25, 2008 at 5:57 Quote
jason222bike wrote:
bigquoteslike a norco instead.
NO!

I'm getting sick of non trials riders coming onto this section of the forum and giving "trials" advice.

Don't modify your bmx bike. Leave it as a bmx, it will not make a very good trials bike at all...you'd be better off with a 26" mountain bike or something...

yes. Very true mate. A bmx will never feel like a trials bike. I ride a mod trials bike. You can pick a 20" trials up for like £200 brand new but thats the bottom end or you could go second hand Smile

FL
Posted: Jun 25, 2008 at 6:18 Quote
i built a trials bike out of my old gt performer using the bars and stem from an old megamo that i snapped a huge plastic redline bmx sump guard, v brake plates to fit my maguras and a tiny chainring and aside from being a little heavy it rode fine Joker

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010771
Mobile Version of Website