Maybe just has hulk legs

Posted: May 11, 2014 at 20:57 Quote
dchill wrote:
cmc4130 wrote:
Creegz wrote:
I have 36/9.

with 14" wheels I hope ... !

Maybe just has hulk legs

26". It's a bit brutal. I think it's 36, upon review I might be running higher. I can cross country on that shit.

Posted: May 11, 2014 at 21:10 Quote
I call bullshit, not even olympic track riders have gearing that high. I doubt some little 15 year olds legs could push a ratio that hard up a hill.

Posted: May 11, 2014 at 21:20 Quote
yo13bo wrote:
I call bullshit, not even olympic track riders have gearing that high. I doubt some little 15 year olds legs could push a ratio that hard up a hill.
ha ha ha ha so true.....
I worked with a guy who rode track for Aus in the 86 Commonwealth Games. He could jump from a standing start onto a desk 1.4m high and he weighed 95kg. He used to do it for bets. If you can do that I'll believe you could run a 33:9 ratio or whatever.
edit: holy crap 36:9??????

Posted: May 11, 2014 at 21:37 Quote
You can call bullshit all you want. I haven't ever really counted, but it's the outer ring on my front chainrings. I have two chainrings. One that I'd like to use but it's the wrong size, the other one is almost bmx race bike size. But I will admit I've never really counted, I'm assuming from quick looks. I know my rear is 9.

Posted: May 11, 2014 at 22:03 Quote
Creegz wrote:
You can call bullshit all you want. I haven't ever really counted, but it's the outer ring on my front chainrings. I have two chainrings. One that I'd like to use but it's the wrong size, the other one is almost bmx race bike size. But I will admit I've never really counted, I'm assuming from quick looks. I know my rear is 9.
Promise I'm not being rude but how big are your legs? Cause if you find that ok to ride on maybe you should consider pro racing.

Posted: May 12, 2014 at 2:18 Quote
32-14 is my ratio.works for everything

Posted: May 12, 2014 at 6:37 Quote
Creegz wrote:

36/9 X 26" wheels is 104 gear inches.

For comparison, consider road bikes and track bikes for velodrome racing:
http://www.startbikeracing.com/index.php/track/equipment?start=10

"Track racers invariably use much smaller gears (and therefore, pedal at much higher cadences) than their peers on the road.  When Tom Boonen winds up a sprint on the road, he is in a 53 x 11 or 53 x 12, which yield 126” and 116” gears, respectively.  If his sprint tops out at 60kph (37mph), his cadence will max out at either 100 rpm’s exactly (in the 53 x 11), or 109 rpm’s (in the 53 x 12).  

By comparison, elite track racers commonly hit 60kph, but would never use a gear larger than 50 x 14 (94”), and more likely would be riding a 49 x 14 (92”) or 51 x 15 (90”).  So, at 60kph, their cadence is between 134rpms (50 x 14) and 141rpms (51 x 15).  To put this in road terms, for an elite track race – say, the World Points Race Championship – the world’s top riders will do the entire race in a gear just a little bit smaller than a 53 x 15.

Posted: May 12, 2014 at 8:20 Quote
Oldmann wrote:
Creegz wrote:
Promise I'm not being rude but how big are your legs? Cause if you find that ok to ride on maybe you should consider pro racing.

Haha nothing is really rude to me. I find it can be hard to start, I kick off a little bit to start though and it becomes easy.

Nevermind. I'm 32 and 9. I just counted. My friend lied when he told me he had a 36 on that drivetrain. My bad everyone.

Still I do crank up hills and stuff all the time on this stuff. My legs aren't very big, and it's not very hard in bursts.

Posted: May 12, 2014 at 10:05 Quote
Creegz wrote:
Oldmann wrote:
Creegz wrote:

Haha nothing is really rude to me. I find it can be hard to start, I kick off a little bit to start though and it becomes easy.

Nevermind. I'm 32 and 9. I just counted. My friend lied when he told me he had a 36 on that drivetrain. My bad everyone.

Still I do crank up hills and stuff all the time on this stuff. My legs aren't very big, and it's not very hard in bursts.

Are you sure it's a 9t in the back? There aren't many MTB hubs with 9t, although its common with BMX hubs.

Posted: May 12, 2014 at 10:13 Quote
Man, making me second guess myself haha.

It might be 14? Octane one orbital 2013 SS pro. I was told 9 but I also see they have 14.

Posted: May 12, 2014 at 10:58 Quote
dchill wrote:
cmc4130 wrote:
Creegz wrote:
I have 36/9.

with 14" wheels I hope ... !

Maybe just has hulk legs

quadzilla himself couldn't pull that gear lol

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://resources2.news.com.au/images/2013/11/06/1226754/036934-britain-london-2012-olympic-games.jpg
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://body-builderz.com/wp-content/uploads/olympic-quads-2.jpg?a2e5e8

Posted: May 12, 2014 at 11:05 Quote
good god. What in the f*ck.

Posted: May 12, 2014 at 12:01 Quote
Creegz wrote:
Man, making me second guess myself haha.

It might be 14? Octane one orbital 2013 SS pro. I was told 9 but I also see they have 14.

Heh. In that case 32/14 is a pretty ideal ratio for higher-end speed on a DJ bike.
; )

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.013899
Mobile Version of Website