Do hs33 pads works just as well when they are on v-brakes as they do on hydrualics?

PB Forum :: Observed Biketrials
Do hs33 pads works just as well when they are on v-brakes as they do on hydrualics?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Jun 26, 2008 at 20:07 Quote
Ya, so my question is: Do hs33 pads works just as well when they are on v-brakes as they do on hydrualics? Is it cheaper to convert the v-brake for hs33 use, or cheaper to just get the whole hydraulic set? Thanks for your advice.

Posted: Jun 26, 2008 at 20:17 Quote
Its cheaper to get hs-33, but if your planning on doing street and dirt jump, nothing that really needs progressive brakes with good modulation, these are the best brake to get. They never get air inside the system because they don't heat up and they lock up your while extremely easily with only one finger while keeping enought modulation to slow down...

Mod
Posted: Jun 26, 2008 at 20:46 Quote
Which Magura pads? There are more brake pad choices with V-brakes, including all the same (if not more) rubber compounds, than there are for Maguras, so I'm not sure why you want to mix them?

You will get better lock up power with a good set of V-brakes with a good set of pads and good brake housing. Maguras have a great feel (no "mush") which is why many trials riders like them, but they do not have the same lockup power as a good set of V's.

Why do you want to put Magura pads on V-brakes?

Posted: Jun 26, 2008 at 22:23 Quote
charlou61 wrote:
Its cheaper to get hs-33, but if your planning on doing street and dirt jump, nothing that really needs progressive brakes with good modulation, these are the best brake to get. They never get air inside the system because they don't heat up and they lock up your while extremely easily with only one finger while keeping enought modulation to slow down...

excuse me??? maggies don't get air in them? wtf! clearly you've never owned a set of maggies.

anyway, with a sharp grind and the proper pads i've had more luck with maguras. I'm not 100% sure what your original question was jubs, maggies on V's? tarty sells this Onza adapter thing for your V's to use magura pads
http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/product.php?id=2005
but do you mean maguras on dedicated V-mounts vs 4-bolt?

i'm confused

Posted: Jun 26, 2008 at 23:48 Quote
Your question is a bit vague, but the short answer is V-brakes will perform better with the same type of pad material compared to HS-33.

The Explanation

I wondered this myself so I tried a few things.

1) I got a set of brake pad adaptors which allow you to use Magura pads in V-brakes. This is quite possibly the worst idea ever. You'll never get your arms lined up properly (unless you use an ultra skinny XC rim) and the sloppy play added is unacceptable.
2) Buy red and blue Heatsink pads for V-brake (aluminum backed) and HS-33 (reds were aluminum backed, blues were plastic) and try them out. The test bike was a Koxx designed for Magura (four bolt). I never did like the feeling of the red pads and Magura brakes as the often slipped out on big gaps. The blue pads, which are a bit softer, felt great. I installed a set of Bonz V-brake adaptors, Avid Ultimates and XTR lever and housing. The blue pads stopped really well, but felt a bit mushy. The red pads were exactly what a trials rear brake should feel like! Solid lock-up with a little bit of give at the lever. This is the set-up I will continue to run until I get some coust pads to try.

If your bike is set up to have V-brakes (two post) as opposed to Magura (four bolt) then I would recommend V-brakes. The mess of parts required to mount a Magura is not worth the hassle in my opinion.

O+
Posted: Jun 29, 2008 at 19:34 Quote
thanks for all the feed back, and to make it a bit clearer, my question wus supposed to mean: how well do Magura brake pads work on a set of cable brakes (normal v's),AND, is it cheaper to buy the parts and pieces to mount the whole hs33 set, OR just the Onza V-Daptors and put hs33 pads on my v-brakes.

once again, thx.

Posted: Jun 29, 2008 at 23:51 Quote
jubs17 wrote:
thanks for all the feed back, and to make it a bit clearer, my question wus supposed to mean: how well do Magura brake pads work on a set of cable brakes (normal v's),AND, is it cheaper to buy the parts and pieces to mount the whole hs33 set, OR just the Onza V-Daptors and put hs33 pads on my v-brakes.

take felix's advice on the V-daptors -- prob not a good idea, plus i don't think tarty has had them in stock for the past year. and back with your question on magura brake pads on V's -- uh there aren't magura pads that fit Vbrakes... there's either hs33 pads or V pads, they can't be fit to each other.

for your second question, when u buy hs33, they come with all the hardware to mount them onto your frame (unless you get the dengura's that only come with 4bolt mounts). it all boils down to what you prefer -- V's or magura.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011635
Mobile Version of Website