Home Made Bikes

Posted: Mar 23, 2014 at 11:04 Quote
3lfd3wd wrote:
Do you have a video of you actually riding that thing?
lololol

Posted: Mar 28, 2014 at 1:33 Quote
So exciting news, school production this year is Back to the Future. They're making a fibreglass shell of a Delorean and need a metal frame for it to fix on to. Basically I'll be learning to weld.

Posted: Apr 6, 2014 at 12:16 Quote
Just cleaned after a good days testing at my local.

Frame number 2
Long, low and slack hardtail
120mm travel up front.
65 degree head angle
30mm drop BB
410mm Chain stays

Alot of fun to ride!

Just needs the cable mounts making and welding on and then paint.

More photos of the build here -
https://www.pinkbike.com/u/doyenuk/album/AM-HT/

Posted: Apr 6, 2014 at 12:35 Quote
@ DoyenUK

Indeed, looks like a lot of fun. I mean, 120 mm steel hardtail, what could go wrong Smile .

That is a beautiful bike for sure.

Posted: Apr 7, 2014 at 0:44 Quote
nice one man looks rad!

O+
Posted: Apr 9, 2014 at 22:44 Quote
Hey guys and girls,

Im going to have a crack at building a DH bike.
I have a design going, but one thing that i'm questioning is the derailleur hanger.

What do you do?
Build your own or is there a common choice as to which is best/ easiest to mount?

Thanks,

Posted: Apr 10, 2014 at 2:34 Quote
latheboy wrote:
Hey guys and girls,

I have a design going, but one thing that i'm questioning is the derailleur hanger.

What do you do?
Build your own or is there a common choice as to which is best/ easiest to mount?

Thanks,

Look up fire eye chain tugs. They come in different sizes and have a hanger attached. They also stop the axle moving backward unlike other chain tugs. Laser cut your drop outs so they drop right in.

Posted: Apr 10, 2014 at 3:48 Quote
latheboy wrote:
Hey guys and girls,

What do you do?

Thanks,

more on what alted said, go on chain reaction and look in frame spares, many a good hanger can be found. or go to paragon machine works and get a 12mm bolt-thru set (costly tho- but they come with the frame mounts so all you gotta do is weld on the tubes)

or just do what 99% of peeps here do and just cut one from 5 or 6mm plate- its dead easy to do a replaceable dropout/hanger combo out of 6mm 6061 plate mounting to a 4mm steel bolt plate on the swingarm. most of the time i just waterjet cut a solid, attached steel hanger/dropout mount from 6mm 4130.

O+
Posted: Apr 10, 2014 at 17:42 Quote
Thanks guys, I have looked around before asking I just thought I'd ask before commiting to a hanger.

This is probably the one I'll use as fitment is very easy to machine for location.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/ns-bikes-derailleur-hanger-2012/rp-prod83572
Or just make my own like it.

I was toying with using the Syntace X-12
http://www.syntace.com/index.cfm?pid=1&pk=1314

They are even nice enough to have SW files for download.

Back to Solidworks for a bit I think.

Thanks again,

Posted: Apr 11, 2014 at 11:13 Quote
Does anyone know if I could get a super light BB shell for a carbon frame anywhere off the shelf? Ive been getting Ti/Alu ones full thickness and turning them down but its too much hassle, need to streamline things and minimise weight!!
thanks v much

Posted: Apr 11, 2014 at 11:35 Quote
findhan wrote:
Does anyone know if I could get a super light BB shell for a carbon frame anywhere off the shelf? Ive been getting Ti/Alu ones full thickness and turning them down but its too much hassle, need to streamline things and minimise weight!!
thanks v much

If you know the dimensions you could always order some polished tubing. Then all you would have to do is cut the desired width and face both sides to finish.

Posted: Apr 12, 2014 at 1:43 Quote
Yeah but Id need to cut threads / get an intereference fit depending on BB type on it too so its just back to more turning and the likes. Just on the off-chance anyone knew of them.

Posted: Apr 15, 2014 at 15:20 Quote
nother one out of the shed

descendence 2-stroke prototype mk2 all kitted up and ready for a rip full Avalanche shocks front and back cartridge upgrades in the lyric s tapered headtube 150x12mm rear Ti swingarm...lookin fast

descendence 2-stroke prototype mk2 all kitted up and ready for a rip

all tapered and lovely Smile

Posted: Apr 15, 2014 at 15:47 Quote
Skinny toobs really suit the Middleburn cranks; nice job!

O+
Posted: Apr 16, 2014 at 22:04 Quote
Yah! Stellar job. You are really pumping them out these days!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.020384
Mobile Version of Website