Home Made Bikes

O+
Posted: May 4, 2014 at 8:48 Quote
That is my opinion... I think that although what your are doing has some thought behind it and may indeed be a good idea, that proper gusting, welding, and engineering into the thickness of the materials, location and shapes of tubes/gussets do at least an equally good job.
You could still have a failure with a "wrap around" gusset like you have, granted it may take more force, but it may also stiffen up the head tube junction to the point where it increases stresses just past the weld points of the gussets on the top tube and down tube. So it's possible you could just be moving the failure point.

Posted: May 4, 2014 at 9:20 Quote
crazy-canuck wrote:
That is my opinion... I think that although what your are doing has some thought behind it and may indeed be a good idea, that proper gusting, welding, and engineering into the thickness of the materials, location and shapes of tubes/gussets do at least an equally good job.
You could still have a failure with a "wrap around" gusset like you have, granted it may take more force, but it may also stiffen up the head tube junction to the point where it increases stresses just past the weld points of the gussets on the top tube and down tube. So it's possible you could just be moving the failure point.

this is what i wanted to hear, yes, untreated metal may collaps are the end of the weld seem, indeed, this will push me to make sure that all future production will be heat treated and use a combination of stainless steel hardox 420 , this steel weld very well , but has the resiliance of spring steel, so i hope my next production will meet a new level of standart and lifetime warranty,

Posted: May 4, 2014 at 9:54 Quote
Okay, so here is bike number 2, Just starting to put it together. here are a couple pictures of the design and my approach at a jig. i have access to a big cnc router which works well for jig making.

photo

photo

photo

Posted: May 4, 2014 at 9:56 Quote
thats a brillant idea , like you say if you have access to a huge cnc router, cheers , 10+ point for creativity

Posted: May 4, 2014 at 13:22 Quote
Got the size large how I want it. The old front tri was too raked out ended up at 60-61 HA which was to much. Changed the headtube to EC49 on the bottom. Had a ZS56 fail on another bike not a fan of them. Changed the swing arm yoke area and added a mandrel bent bottom tube. Pretty stoked how it turned out at happy to leave it in the shed with the ALTED name on it. Have some suspension tuning to do, is tricky to get a feel for it wilth limited runs when pushing back to the top. Thanks for the nice posts on the pics I put up over the weekend.
photo
Not as slack bendy tubes external headset cups revised swing arm yoke. Should be a good thing.
Size Large MK II new front triangle Bendy tubes head angle 63.5 external cup head set revised swing arm yoke.
Size Large MK II new front triangle Bendy tubes head angle 63.5 external cup head set revised swing arm yoke.

Posted: May 5, 2014 at 3:52 Quote
Looks awesome!
How does she ride?

Posted: May 5, 2014 at 15:07 Quote
fabdemaere wrote:
Looks awesome!
How does she ride?

Rides good thanks jumps good and corners good too. Gonna hit up some proper tracks hopefully this weekend.

Posted: May 5, 2014 at 16:17 Quote
How bad of an idea would it be to use an integrated headtube on a DH frame? Just curious.

Posted: May 5, 2014 at 20:30 Quote
Lots of frames use them.

Proper engineering of a frame, lab testing and we've got a solid frame. Most frames have a 5 yr warranty.

Why would you want a lifetime warranty? It's just a pure gimmick. People buy new bikes. Warranties aren't transferable, plus what defines a warranty. You bin your bike into the woods at high speed, land some 360° at 270° and you crack a stay, are those things warranty?

Posted: May 6, 2014 at 1:25 Quote
I'm just baffled by this dudes english skills if he's from canada...

Posted: May 6, 2014 at 1:56 Quote
Wow! The last few ones look really nice! To bad that in europe hardly anyone is willing to make some nice Cromo frames....
I wish you guys good success in your projects!

Posted: May 6, 2014 at 4:52 Quote
JaseZ wrote:
I don't even what to know where he went to school...

Posted: May 6, 2014 at 5:17 Quote
oi stop trollin you douchebags, docZ has been her waaaaay longer than almost anyone and probably made more frames than 95% of the peeps who think thay can somehow contribute to this thread whithout ever actually having made a frame.

whether or not you like his frames or his welding skills, the fact is that unless you make one yourself, you have no right to pass judgement. i used to stick weld up mild steel frames too and everyone gave me shit for years, now i sell loads of frames every year to people all around the world. this aint no forum for trolls.

Posted: May 6, 2014 at 6:04 Quote
JaseZ wrote:

Pretty sure his first language is French.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.021224
Mobile Version of Website