Home Made Bikes

O+
Posted: Oct 21, 2014 at 19:05 Quote
prep-like-a-boss wrote:
Hi there,

I don't have a home made bike to post but hopefully I will in time. I am 17, in high school and taking a welding course. I was offered a credit for a custom fabrication I've decided that I would like to build a bike frame. Unfortunately I don't know enough about geometry etc. to properly design a frame for myself, I am seeking the help of somebody who would be willing to guide me through the process of designing the frame, act as a mentor if you will. I already know the type of bike I want: A rigid 29er capable of commuting and doing some light trail riding, possibly with the ability to put a 100mm travel fork. The bike would be something along the lines of the kona unit. If there is anybody willing to help me out I would appreciate the help! Thanks for any help guys!

If you need some specific help, feel free to send me a message.

O+
Posted: Oct 22, 2014 at 21:28 Quote
I haven't posted pictures in awhile, so I'll toss up a few from the past couple of years. If you're bored, it'll maybe give you something to entertain you for a bit. Sorry for the volume of photos - I'll try to just pick a few representatives, and leave the rest in my photo folder.

Photo examples of my welding from work. Me welding dropouts.
  Photo examples of my welding, from work. Me welding dropouts.

Photo examples of my welding from work. Cro-Mo steel.
  Photo examples of my welding, from work. Cro-Mo steel.

Me welding at my old work
  Me welding at my old work

O+
Posted: Oct 22, 2014 at 21:35 Quote
Here's a few more...

[PI=11559410 size=h align=c]Photo examples of my welding, from work.
7005 aluminum.[/PI]

Photo examples of my welding from work.
  Photo examples of my welding, from work.

Photo examples of my welding from work.
  Photo examples of my welding, from work.

Photo examples of my machining at home shop.
  Photo examples of my machining, at home shop.

Photo examples of my machining at home shop.
  Photo examples of my machining, at home shop.

O+
Posted: Oct 22, 2014 at 21:38 Quote
And finally, so views of my home shop:

View of home shop.
  View of home shop.

Cart I fabricated at home shop.
  Cart I fabricated at home shop.

Monarch 10ee lathe at home shop.
  Monarch 10ee lathe at home shop.

Automatic turret lathe at home.
  Automatic turret lathe at home.

1985 Deckel FP2NC milling machine. Here I m using it to cope tubing for some welding machine carts.
  1985 Deckel FP2NC milling machine. Here I'm using it to cope tubing for some welding machine carts.

O+
Posted: Oct 22, 2014 at 21:39 Quote
Hmm - I'm not sure why some of these are just coming out as links - any of you guys know?

O+
Posted: Oct 22, 2014 at 22:30 Quote
beautiful welds mate and would love all your machines

Posted: Oct 23, 2014 at 16:14 Quote
So that's super sick.

That multi-person-dem is pretty sick. Thing must haul ass.

Posted: Oct 24, 2014 at 0:19 Quote
when i grow up and get my bigb0y pants, im gonna make weld like that! hahaha

ps i fink you need some more machines in your garage, there's too much spare room in there.

Posted: Oct 24, 2014 at 0:53 Quote
I-M-D wrote:
beautiful welds mate and would love all your machines

+1

Posted: Oct 26, 2014 at 3:31 Quote
not entirely bike related, but i thought id just share this because i recon it really is worthy of recognition- my good friend Jimi Polar (jimipolar here on PB- i think he may have posted on this forum before) performed possibly the most selfless act iv ever heard of. a homeless, dying aboriginal man was sent off with a gift of boundless empathy by Jimi and all the people he personally collected to send him on his way.

"If a tree falls in the woods and no one’s there to see it did it really happen? If an aboriginal man, struggling with drugs and living on the streets, fell into a coma does it matter? My older brother, Jim, happened to know him. Before the man died, Jim was determined to demonstrate to him that he wasn’t invisible and that what happened to him did really matter.
Unable to track down family, Jim took to the streets and asked the only family he could muster-up to write some parting wishes on the back of a piece of gift paper."

franks last letter

https://www.facebook.com/nicole.arnold.52206654/media_set?set=a.10154700181160507&type=1

and no, this isnt a cut-n-paste article or some sort of news-now facebook post, i wrote this just for this forum- i know jimi because iv made him a few bikes over the years, all of which have probably ended up on this forum. some people really are just that nice Smile

Posted: Oct 27, 2014 at 0:53 Quote
madm3chanic wrote:
not entirely bike related, but i thought id just share this because i recon it really is worthy of recognition- my good friend Jimi Polar (jimipolar here on PB- i think he may have posted on this forum before) performed possibly the most selfless act iv ever heard of. a homeless, dying aboriginal man was sent off with a gift of boundless empathy by Jimi and all the people he personally collected to send him on his way.

"If a tree falls in the woods and no one’s there to see it did it really happen? If an aboriginal man, struggling with drugs and living on the streets, fell into a coma does it matter? My older brother, Jim, happened to know him. Before the man died, Jim was determined to demonstrate to him that he wasn’t invisible and that what happened to him did really matter.
Unable to track down family, Jim took to the streets and asked the only family he could muster-up to write some parting wishes on the back of a piece of gift paper."

franks last letter

https://www.facebook.com/nicole.arnold.52206654/media_set?set=a.10154700181160507&type=1

and no, this isnt a cut-n-paste article or some sort of news-now facebook post, i wrote this just for this forum- i know jimi because iv made him a few bikes over the years, all of which have probably ended up on this forum. some people really are just that nice Smile
wow thank you for sharing that! Some peoples integrity and thoughtfulness is awe inspiring. These people the ones that think about others before them self ,are the true defenition of a leader. It is extremely sad that people get. put into that homeless situation because something bad happend to them or in their life, then they get looked down apon by everyone as a worthless peice of garbage because of it. The people that show they care for other people that are at the lowest of lows really makes me smile. Also knowing that most homeless people are the most caring, sharing, respectful, and integrity based people in the world that is why a lot of them got into that situation because they share, and care for others to much.

Posted: Oct 27, 2014 at 3:48 Quote
ridgidframe wrote:
madm3chanic wrote:

franks last letter

[L=https://www.facebook.com/nicole.arnold.52206654/media_set?set=a.10154700181160507&type=1]https://www.facebook.com/nicole.arnold.52206654/media_set?set=a.10154700181160507&type=1[/s]

wow thank you for sharing that! Some peoples integrity and thoughtfulness is awe inspiring. These people the ones that think about others before them self ,are the true defenition of a leader. It is extremely sad that people get. put into that homeless situation because something bad happend to them or in their life, then they get looked down apon by everyone as a worthless peice of garbage because of it. The people that show they care for other people that are at the lowest of lows really makes me smile. Also knowing that most homeless people are the most caring, sharing, respectful, and integrity based people in the world that is why a lot of them got into that situation because they share, and care for others to much.

im glad you really get it man, jimi's effort to his fellow man is inspirational Smile i like that he shred's the streets of sydney on my frames too!

Posted: Oct 27, 2014 at 7:10 Quote
madm3chanic wrote:
ridgidframe wrote:
madm3chanic wrote:

franks last letter

[L=https://www.facebook.com/nicole.arnold.52206654/media_set?set=a.10154700181160507&type=1]https://www.facebook.com/nicole.arnold.52206654/media_set?set=a.10154700181160507&type=1[/s]

im glad you really get it man, jimi's effort to his fellow man is inspirational Smile i like that he shred's the streets of sydney on my frames too!
also a cool cat then Smile haha

Posted: Nov 2, 2014 at 9:53 Quote
I´m building my first homemade steel hardtail, and I´m currently doing the geometry design, but I wanted to get a second opinion on it, just to be sure, before I started messing around with the metal itself :-D

photo

It´s a 26" do-it-all bike, it has to do a bit of everything; jumping, racing, downhill, climbing, and a little bit of tricks. I want it to quite playful, as I´m using for everything, but each year, I do a 24-hour race, so it has to rideable for that amount of time.
I´m 188cm og 6,2 feet-ish, so I´ve been trying to make it fit by measuring my other bikes, and figuring the fit out that way.

Specs:
Wheelbase: 1160mm
Chainstay: 420mm
Seattubeangle: 73 degrees
Headangle(100mm fork): 67 degrees
Headangle(120mm fork): 66 degrees
BB height: 300mm
BB drop: 50mm
Saddle center --> handlebar(50mm stem): 710mm
Crank --> Saddle center: 710mm

What do you guys think? :-D

Posted: Nov 2, 2014 at 10:55 Quote
JimmyGrand wrote:
I´m building my first homemade steel hardtail, and I´m currently doing the geometry design, but I wanted to get a second opinion on it, just to be sure, before I started messing around with the metal itself :-D

photo

It´s a 26" do-it-all bike, it has to do a bit of everything; jumping, racing, downhill, climbing, and a little bit of tricks. I want it to quite playful, as I´m using for everything, but each year, I do a 24-hour race, so it has to rideable for that amount of time.
I´m 188cm og 6,2 feet-ish, so I´ve been trying to make it fit by measuring my other bikes, and figuring the fit out that way.

Specs:
Wheelbase: 1160mm
Chainstay: 420mm
Seattubeangle: 73 degrees
Headangle(100mm fork): 67 degrees
Headangle(120mm fork): 66 degrees
BB height: 300mm
BB drop: 50mm
Saddle center --> handlebar(50mm stem): 710mm
Crank --> Saddle center: 710mm

What do you guys think? :-D

Looks good and very similar to a frame I have made. Except mine had a 65 degree head angle and 410 chain stays. (Wanted it to be really playfull but did lose climbability on the real steep stuff)

Few things I found with my hardtail and worth thinking about when designing is yours-
1- head angle gets steeper as it goes through the travel, so your frame sagged will probably be about 67 degrees.

2- low BB's... Ride great but for an all round bike they can be a pain. Mine has a 30mm drop and it descends great! But when it comes to climbing My pedals ground out a lot! Which means you have to time your pedal strokes which makes a steep technical climb very difficult. So as an all round bike I'd say that 50mm drop may be too much. Hope this helps

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.032588
Mobile Version of Website