Home Made Bikes

Posted: Nov 23, 2014 at 14:57 Quote
Plans for my custom Kona Coiler with new frame front triangle. I was looking to modify my Coiler to new school geometry longer and lower and after comparing lots of brands with 160mm travel I found the Yeti SB66 one of the best 26 bikes ever made had similar geometry to my bike but also had the two features I needed to copy a longer front end and lower BB. The longer front would give me the room to use an inline seat post instead of a setback and get me more in the middle of the bike while seated. In the standing descending position the low BB and longer wheelbase would give me more stability and confidence. I put my ideas to my steel frame maker friend at Manufactured by Grelck. He took on the project and produced the new front end in 4130 CrMo. Final figures TT 23mm longer BB 15mm lower than the standard Kona Coiler Med 2007. We lowered the BB more than the Yeti. It s in line with the new crop of bikes with a BB at around 340mm such as the Santa Cruz Nomad GT Sanction Transition Patrol Orbea Rallon low setting etc.. I love the result - feels perfect.

Plans for my rebuild.

For a while now I've been looking to modify my bike to new school geometry (longer and lower) and after comparing lots of brands with 160mm travel I found the Yeti SB66 had similar geometry to my bike but also had the two features I needed to copy: a longer TT and lower BB. The longer front end would give me the room to use an inline seat post instead of the set back and get me more in the centre of the bike while seated. In the standing/descending position the low BB and longer wheelbase would give me more stability and confidence at speed.
I put my ideas to my steel frame builder friend at Manufactured by Grelck (a home based hobby business). He took on the the project and produced the new front end in 4130 CrMo. Final figures are: TT 23mm longer / BB 15mm lower than the standard Coiler 2007 Med. We lowered the BB more than the Yeti. It's more in line with the current crop of bikes with low BB such as the Santa Cruz Nomad, Orbea Rallon (low setting), GT Sanction etc..
I love the result. Feels perfect.

Posted: Nov 23, 2014 at 15:04 Quote
Custom Kona Coiler 2014. New front triangle steel 4130 CrMo . TT 23mm longer BB 15mm lower.

My Kona Coiler Custom 2014.

O+
Posted: Nov 23, 2014 at 22:29 Quote
Props man, that's awesome! Looks really clean.

Posted: Nov 24, 2014 at 3:34 Quote
No shit, that's properly amazing.

Posted: Nov 24, 2014 at 6:49 Quote
Hey guys, usually in here as mtbrider71. If you have any input on this I would love to hear it: https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=165510&pagenum=1#commentid5683541

O+
Posted: Nov 25, 2014 at 14:08 Quote
I have all my base geometry down for my DH bike design and Im going to start the 3D modeling. I'm debating whether I should use Solidworks or Inventor for the 3d model...I have some good experience with inventor but a lot of people are telling me SW is better. Whats the best for bike design? Cost doesnt matter

O+
Posted: Nov 25, 2014 at 14:11 Quote
If you ever want to be doing carbon, solidworks. Otherwise it doesn't really matter

Posted: Nov 25, 2014 at 14:28 Quote
heyburn wrote:
I have all my base geometry down for my DH bike design and Im going to start the 3D modeling. I'm debating whether I should use Solidworks or Inventor for the 3d model...I have some good experience with inventor but a lot of people are telling me SW is better. Whats the best for bike design? Cost doesnt matter
I made the switch to solid works recently from inventor. Most of the commands are the same but the layout is a little different. Overall I've found solidworks to be easier to work with especially for the engineering based tools. I'm still quicker in inventor because I'm used to it but I find solidworks to be more intuitive as well as having a more tangible link to production methods. Solidworks also runs faster for me and with less issues. My cousin who engineers turbines has similar issues as I do with inventor crashing, not willing to make seemingly basic chamfers, etc. which I encounter less of with solidworks.

Posted: Nov 25, 2014 at 15:25 Quote
go with solidworks and you will never look back.

Posted: Nov 26, 2014 at 5:10 Quote
Sell your house and get NX ;-)

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.028342
Mobile Version of Website