Posted: Jan 29, 2017 at 12:59 Quote
Some paint added..
photo

..and done:
photo

O+
Posted: Jan 29, 2017 at 13:23 Quote
Looks sweet dude

I am looking into a machine to mitre my tubing on future frames when I leave school and I am currently using a mill... is there a cheaper machine or a site for second hand ones?

I know i could do it by hand but that would only be for like the first couple

Posted: Jan 30, 2017 at 7:12 Quote
Scotj009 wrote:
Looks sweet dude

I am looking into a machine to mitre my tubing on future frames when I leave school and I am currently using a mill... is there a cheaper machine or a site for second hand ones?

I know i could do it by hand but that would only be for like the first couple

Search for a 'tube notcher'. It uses standard hole saws and a hand drill. Demon tweeks sell one for about £85 for building car roll cages. Stick a fine tooth hole saw on it and your away.

O+
Posted: Jan 30, 2017 at 7:20 Quote
oh wow cool was hoping for something like that cheers Salute

Posted: Jan 30, 2017 at 13:56 Quote
Scotj009 wrote:
oh wow cool was hoping for something like that cheers Salute

Hole saws only work on cuts that mate to parallel tubes. Tapered head tube mitres will have to be cut by hand.

O+
Posted: Jan 30, 2017 at 14:43 Quote
good thing i only have love for 44mm straight Razz

O+
Posted: Jan 30, 2017 at 16:27 Quote
I just started using a JD squared notchmaster for main tube mitering. I also worked with a local machinist (Prosise Metal Works in Boulder, CO) to create a simple/cheap chainstay mitering fixture. We're planning to make another attachment for mitering seatstays with the same basic setup. The goal is to make accessories that can be added to standard 80/20 that require as little machining as possible in order to keep the cost down.

Here is a overall photo:
Custom chainstay mitering fixture utilizing some stock aluminum extrusion parts with some machined additions.
More pictures in my profile.

Everything is slotted or doweled so it is all setup nice and square. There is also a hard stop for the JD attachment so I can hit 90 degrees every time. This fixture was the product of a cold winter day with no real planning involved. With a little pre-planning the next version should be even better!

Posted: Jan 30, 2017 at 16:41 Quote
That is pretty rad. nice work.

Posted: Feb 7, 2017 at 10:37 Quote
bmxsnox wrote:
Custom chainstay mitering fixture utilizing some stock aluminum extrusion parts with some machined additions.

This is quite clever. Love that this thread is at 9yrs old. tup

O+
Posted: Feb 12, 2017 at 4:20 Quote
I got my second frame built up and it is awesome. I had an easier time building his one compared to my first. Definitely learned what not to do and what to do on the first frame. Very pleased with how everything worked out. Its pretty long also. Cant wait for my local trails to dry out so i go shred!

Geometry:
head angle: 65 deg
chain stay: 16.875"
seat angle: 74 deg
wheel base: 49.25"
reach: 19.5"
weight: 34lbs

Tubes:
Aircraft Spruce tubing; down tube (1.5" x .035"), Top tube (1.375" x .035"), rear swing arm (1" x .035", .75" x .028")
Nova Cycles; 44mm headtube, 31.6 seatpost, 73mm bottom bracket, and cable guides

Dropouts (made from .25" plate steeel)
Shock mounts(made from .1875" plate steel)
Pivot Point: used 44mm headtube with 1.125" headsets

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.040435
Mobile Version of Website