Rear Hub Problem?

PB Forum :: BMX (20")
Rear Hub Problem?
Previous Page |
Posted: Jun 29, 2008 at 20:25 Quote
Well, I have a 05 haro rear hub from a 05 nyquist r1. Well it just seized up on me right now. It was fine this like 2 hours ago, now when I brought my bike out to play around it just took a lot of force to make it move. So I get off my bike to push it, and my rear wheel is like locked. What can I do to fix it, if it is even possible?
Thanks.

Posted: Jun 29, 2008 at 20:28 Quote
Maybe try to take the wheel off and loosen the cone nuts abit.
They might of tightened up or something.

Mod
Posted: Jun 29, 2008 at 20:29 Quote
Does it have a freewheel? I would assume so being an 05 haro hub. You can try cracking open the freewheel and greasing it lightly. Also, if it's extremely rusty just soak it overnight in vinegar, then dry it out and re-grease it the next day. If it's a cassette then take the driver out and check to see if the pawl springs are shot.

Props for riding a haro hub for 3 years though!tup

Posted: Jun 29, 2008 at 20:30 Quote
snoppy647 wrote:

I'll try that, but they where pretty loose yesterday. Like it would roll, lock, roll, lock, roll, then locked and would roll. When I would try to move it, it would sound like it was about to explode or something.

Posted: Jun 29, 2008 at 20:31 Quote
lettusdude wrote:
Does it have a freewheel? I would assume so being an 05 haro hub. You can try cracking open the freewheel and greasing it lightly. Also, if it's extremely rusty just soak it overnight in vinegar, then dry it out and re-grease it the next day. If it's a cassette then take the driver out and check to see if the pawl springs are shot.

Props for riding a haro hub for 3 years though!tup

Rusty, not even close but I will try what you side. Now to make a chain whip...

Posted: Jun 29, 2008 at 20:31 Quote
Freewheel, as Lettus man said, remove and repack, as well as get in there and purge the old grease. Might be better off buying a new wheel, HINT HINT.

Posted: Jun 29, 2008 at 20:32 Quote
sherbet wrote:
Freewheel, as Lettus man said, remove and repack, as well as get in there and purge the old grease. Might be better off buying a new wheel, HINT HINT.

Hint hint, I need a job first. Ahah.

Mod
Posted: Jun 29, 2008 at 20:33 Quote
Ah, thank you sherbet,. I forgot to mention to get rid of the old grease.

Posted: Jun 29, 2008 at 20:33 Quote
dotca wrote:
snoppy647 wrote:

I'll try that, but they where pretty loose yesterday. Like it would roll, lock, roll, lock, roll, then locked and would roll. When I would try to move it, it would sound like it was about to explode or something.

Your threads might be not as smooth so when you tighten up the axle nuts, they would also tighten up the cone nuts with it. So if that were the case, just try and play with each side of the nuts to tighten the wheel back on while them cone nuts are somewhat loose and stay like that.

Posted: Jun 29, 2008 at 20:34 Quote
Haha, start mowin' those lawns! I'm loving mine right now. I was doing a pretty goo fakie manual, and almost got hit by a car.

You could also buy a new freewheel.

What sorta hub is it?

Posted: Jun 29, 2008 at 20:35 Quote
sherbet wrote:
Haha, start mowin' those lawns! I'm loving mine right now. I was doing a pretty goo fakie manual, and almost got hit by a car.

You could also buy a new freewheel.

What sorta hub is it?

A formula hub. According to the haro rep.

Posted: Jun 29, 2008 at 21:14 Quote
is it unsealed? they have LOTS of problems. my friend had his unsld salt hub mysteriously start locking up to. wasnt the freewheel, it was actually the bearings in the hub. the cone nuts on the hub can sometimes tighten themselves, especially when you start grinding, and lock up the hub from to much pressure on the bearings. this could be the problem. also, his hub ended up have the little ball bearings actuall get crushed and smushed from, well, just being an unsld hub. the problems mostly ocure when you grind, because the peg puts weird forces on the bearings, screwing them up. i suggest just takeing the whole hub apart, cheking the bearings, and puting it together really carefully, using grease and what not.

Posted: Jun 29, 2008 at 21:51 Quote
is it a wheel rolling problem, or a freewheel seized (like a fixed gear) problem?

Posted: Jun 29, 2008 at 21:53 Quote
djfivejames wrote:
is it a wheel rolling problem, or a freewheel seized (like a fixed gear) problem?

I can't roll it forwards or backwards. It'll just skid.

Posted: Jun 29, 2008 at 21:57 Quote
dotca wrote:
djfivejames wrote:

I can't roll it forwards or backwards. It'll just skid.
so its a wheel bearing problem. Your cone nuts probably moved. loosen em off, or better yet, loosen one side right off, and have a look inside. See how the races look, and if you have some little bits of metal that used to be ball bearings in there gumming things up.

Previous Page |

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2014. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv16 0.015490
Mobile Version of Website