Giant Stp Riders Only!

PB Forum :: Giant
Giant Stp Riders Only!
Posted: Apr 7, 2016 at 22:56 Quote
Does anyone run a stp with the 140mm pike dj fork? does it mess up the geometry?

Posted: Apr 8, 2016 at 5:06 Quote
I run one of my STPs with a U-turn coil Pike adjusted to 95mm.
I have ridden it at other travel settings (just experimenting) but hated it at anything over about 110mm. 140 was just horrible (crappy steering, higher BB and for me just missing all the pluses of a nimble little hardtail begging to be manual'd, jumped and popped off everything).
That bike is now my most versatile mtb. (Has 2 brakes, 16 gears and a dropper post) so use this bike for everything from street/park to DJ to long XC rides to sessioning DH tracks to Enduro stages (even though I have a DH bike and a 140mm full sus bike). but never increase the STPs fork travel above 95mm for any of that.
Don't take some dude off the internet's word for it though. Try the fork at different lengths yourself. it's really easy to lower a Pike.

Posted: Apr 8, 2016 at 22:09 Quote
I had a U-Turn fork on my STP a long time ago, 85-130mm. Honestly, I think it felt great at all travel settings, but each setting catered to a different style of riding.

At 85mm it was a little short, but quick and fun for messing around in skate parks and on ramps.

At 100mm+/- it was definitely the best. It's clear that Giant intended the STP to be ridden with a 100mm fork, and this was the best choice for dirt jumping, and all other general riding.

At 130mm it felt a bit slower, but it actually added a nice sense of stability to the bike, and I thought it was great for fast trail riding on rough terrain. Not the best all around, but I didn't hate it.

That said, I had the 'Long' frame. 130mm might not work out so well on the shorter 'Regular' model. 140mm is probably too long for both, and while it might be rideable, I wouldn't want a fork set permanently at that travel on an STP.

Unless you go U-Turn or some other type of travel adjust, (which the Pike DJ isn't) just get a 100mm fork.

Posted: Apr 8, 2016 at 22:34 Quote
Thanks guys, at this point i am considering getting a fox 34/36 or a pike dj 140 and lowering them.

I am building up this DJ bike because I'm going to college soon and there is a sick pump track and some dirt jumps close to campus. I am probably going to be riding those for the majority of the time vs dh/enduro.

Posted: Apr 28, 2016 at 8:47 Quote
https://ep1.pinkbike.org/p5pb13431723/p5pb13431723.jpg

Posted: Apr 28, 2016 at 15:20 Quote
Giant stp

*Posted for Andyrampage*

Posted: May 3, 2016 at 3:27 Quote
Anyone know if it's possible to install a tapered fork into the original STP frame? I looked around online couldn't seem to get a definitive answer, more so generic ones speaking of adapters for tapered forks into non-tapered 1 1/8 headsets?

Posted: May 3, 2016 at 8:35 Quote
Yes there is, a 2015 Hope Type H EC44/40 Lower Headset will get the job done.

Posted: May 13, 2016 at 0:02 Quote
mini-freerider wrote:
Giant stp

*Posted for Andyrampage*
thanks for posting my bike dude I couldn't figure it out haha

Posted: Jun 9, 2016 at 9:16 Quote
Hey guys!
I have been wondering if my STP Frame is still good to keep rocking on it.
Long story short I was backflipin' and one of them went wrong so I thew the bike to a side not to die and I'm pretty sure the downtube hit with a wheelbarrow that was around. Frown
LBS guys said I shouldn't be concerned about it but just wanted to reassure
Thank you for your time!
Frame dent
Frame dent
Frame dent
Backflipin

Posted: Jun 9, 2016 at 23:31 Quote
Looking to do some more trail riding with my STP, what's a logical step up (or sidegrade) from the DJ2 that's currently on the bike? I will be doing less jumping, more XC, roots and rocks kind of riding. I was thinking a Tora SL, or a Fox 36 if I can find one with a straight steerer, otherwise I could always just swap the bottom headset to fit a tapered fork. I would like to find one with a 20mm axle so I won't have to do hub work.

Any suggestions for a more trail-friendly fork than the DJ2?

Posted: Jun 10, 2016 at 0:00 Quote
Kaoss wrote:
Looking to do some more trail riding with my STP

You'd better look for the other bike. Riding STP with the the saddle lifted is all about suffering. Trust me, it's way too short for it.

I used to ride it with u-turn pike (85-140) to make it more versatile, but it still sucks. So I ended up with 100mm circus.

Posted: Jun 26, 2016 at 17:36 Quote
Giant STP custom build

My beloved STP, I bought the frame on ebay about six years ago, I was looking for a bike to do street trials on and this frame looked ideal in the pictures, the advert said nothing about the frame not even the model! I bid £3.99 and no one else bothered! After driving about 50 miles to pick it up I then found out it was designed with street riding in mind, I couldn't believe my luck! I built it with old junker bits the first time and then last year I built it to my dream spec. It weighs 25lbs now and is the most incredible bike I've ever ridden, it manuals so smoothly, accelerates faster than most roadies in London, goes downhill way better than a rigid bike with carbon fibre forks has any right to and is just generally so flickable, light and fun to ride.

Posted: Jul 4, 2016 at 14:00 Quote
sayrius wrote:
You'd better look for the other bike. Riding STP with the the saddle lifted is all about suffering. Trust me, it's way too short for it.

not for me they aren't. and I'm 5'11" (I don't get on at all with long bikes though)

I have Regular and large STPs and find both fine for all day diding with the saddles at proper pedalling extension.

An old 20mm axle U-turn Pike or 20mm Reba if you want something lighter (but from experience, not up to heavy abuse)will be good for trail riding.
don't make the mistake of winding the fork out tho.. STPs start to ride shitty with anything longer than about 110-120mm even for DH/trail riding.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.016224
Mobile Version of Website