Why are sports considered the norm?

PB Forum :: Social / Political Issues
Why are sports considered the norm?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jul 25, 2008 at 16:57 Quote
I have never really enjoyed sport's i find needless exersize for no real reason other than to seemingly get tired out a bit of a waste of time. I have however enountered people who are amazed about this coming out with statements such as. " You don't like sports? haha loser" etc etc. Personally i hate the idea of spending my life involving myself in sport and i hate it when people think of you as completey un-normal for this reason. Life is not about competetion and kicking a sodding ball around a pitch. However there are proberly others who don't feel like this so go ahead dicuss.

Posted: Jul 26, 2008 at 13:29 Quote
Well you ride, that seems like sport to me....

Personally I love sport, am vaguely obsessed esp. with hockey... so I don't know how much help I'll be, but it's just an accepted part of school life, has been for centuries. I suppose that people think that physical exercise, in conjunction with academic and social, makes a well-rounded person....

Popular culture also reinforces the image of sport as the pastime of the cool.... just look at about every single US high school movie, the sporty/buff ones are the cool guys. It might be an evolutionary thing, that the sporty are the fittest/best suited to survival, so are seen as the best.

Like I said, I love sport, and enjoy the pain of, say, running until my legs feel like they are spastic and no longer under my control, so don't know whether I'm the right person to answer you. It's just been the case for so long that people enjoy sport, I just think everyone accepts that it's normal now. Helps you keep healthy, good stress relief, etc etc etc. Evidently not everyone though, I know people who are like you.

Just rambling really now, but whatever.

Posted: Jul 26, 2008 at 13:58 Quote
the emphasis on organization and shit has really gotten me out of classic team sports. time was i'd play soccer every lunch during school, with some friends in the local park near my school (we don't have a field)...well the city decided they'd transplant the sand box from the playground area, which is sand, to the middle of the dirt/grass field where we played. that killed soccer right there and then.

i also don't get the point of the prevalence of school sports. i remember having a conversation with a friend along these lines...
him (goes to a local public school) : "yeah i get half the day off because our football team has a game, so we all go watch"
me: (i go to a private school downtown based on academics) : "wow, that's pretty cool"
him: "doesn't your school do that?"
me: "we don't even have a football team dude"
him (actually openly laughing at me at this point) : "what kind of school doesn't have a football team, especially a private school?!"
me: "one you attend to learn stuff?"
he didn't exactly get why i'd go to a school with a shitty sports program...i found it a little strange that you'd base your education on sports, but there you go...

Posted: Aug 10, 2008 at 3:02 Quote
The point in sports would be that it has to be fun for you while you are doing it.
Some people tend to forget that in sports, especially the ones that get super serious about what they are doing.

If someone doesn´t like sports, let him be.
To give an example some are just crazy about soccer and that is the only subject for them the whole day.
Personally for me that is a reason to get away from soccer and the BS around it.

Main point is, do what you yourself enjoy the most.

Posted: Aug 12, 2008 at 18:50 Quote
I never really understood why you can get scholarships based on sports, I still don't. I realize it's a committment, and that it requires training, and skill, but what does it have to do with an education? More than half the people I know who are involved in serious competitive sports (AAAhockey, soccer, etc) are some of the dumbest people in the world, and even if they got a scholarship wouldn't know which side of the book to open. My high school never was big into sports, no football, no rugby, we had a decent hockey team, I played on the soccer team it was decent, laccrosse, and gym sports.

That said, I enjoy sports, team sports were never my thing because someone always lets someone else down, either your teammate lets you down, or you let your team down. That's one of the reasons I think biking is so great, you can ride with whoever, and it's completely free of judgement, there's no training, if you want to ride you go do it, if you're feeling shitty, then you don't ride that day, not "well I'm puking my brains out from the night before, but I've got to be at the 6am training so that I'm not benched for the game."

Posted: Aug 12, 2008 at 19:05 Quote
me1223 wrote:
there's no training, if you want to ride you go do it, if you're feeling shitty, then you don't ride that day, not "well I'm puking my brains out from the night before, but I've got to be at the 6am training so that I'm not benched for the game."

It depends on your level of competition. If you're just riding by yourself for fun, that's no different than the people that play basketball for fun. They too have no need to train if they really don't want to.

At the same time if you're racing on a team, its the same as being on a hockey team. One person can drag the team result down. Around here I always see 2 teams of guys that are out daily, training.

Posted: Aug 12, 2008 at 21:57 Quote
Hockey. 'Nuff said.

Just joking. All sports are equal, however some are more equal then others...
Normal ones here in Canada seem to be Hockey, Basketball, Football, Baseball, Soccer and in someplaces Rugby. Golf is also very popular but it's not really in the same category.

Sports are really fun, I can completely understand hating them but I personally love them. Sometimes I don't like they massmarketing behind them or the power of the tv, especially in football (the very first super bowl had a second kickoff because the camera's werent' turned on!) but the raw sport is certainly very fun.

Posted: Aug 13, 2008 at 21:45 Quote
Never been a real fan of the un-extreme sports. BMX and mountain bike are the only ones that interest me pretty much. And MMA like the UFC and shit. Survival of the fitness, boys.

Posted: Aug 18, 2008 at 10:36 Quote
I enjoy sports quite a fait bit , there are some i enjoy more than others but my favourite are endurance ones ( cross country running , long distance running ,swimming) just because it allows me to pushmyself physicaly and mentaly (beaking the pain barrier). I also played soccer for about 4-5 years , i enjoyed it alot at first but i didnt really like the team aspect of it , i didnt like to be let down by my team mates and i disliked letting my team mates down even more.what drew me to bmx/Mtb was the fact that i was riding for myself and noone else , and also the adrenalin rush i got from it . I also find it a very laidback sport(well if your not a pro :p) .

Posted: Nov 17, 2009 at 19:36 Quote
biking is a sport. Some of the best sports besides mtb are the ones that require no thought, like rowing and running. I row

Posted: Nov 18, 2009 at 0:03 Quote
Lol i understand exactly what the OP means, in P.E. when i dont know what to do/how to do stuff and all the people who play sports often are going mad its simply because i dont spend my life committed to some sport, i dont learn about it, i dont care but everyone expects you to..

Posted: Nov 18, 2009 at 1:20 Quote
crs-one wrote:
he didn't exactly get why i'd go to a school with a shitty sports program...i found it a little strange that you'd base your education on sports, but there you go...

Grave dig, but at least this one is worthwhile.

Coming from someone who will get a scholarhsip based on sports, I find them very important. Basically, the work I've put in is going to get me anywhere from $,5000-$40,000 over the next 2 years.

Posted: Nov 18, 2009 at 1:49 Quote
Are you actually aiming to go MLB?

Posted: Nov 18, 2009 at 8:23 Quote
harriieee wrote:
Are you actually aiming to go MLB?

No, but that's only because I realize I'm not that good. If it were possible, of course.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013019
Mobile Version of Website