Derailleur won't shift into lowest gear

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Derailleur won't shift into lowest gear
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Aug 2, 2008 at 9:07 Quote
The bike shifts into every gear except for the easiest. I've adjusted the limit screws, but it didn't do any good. The Derailleur and shifter are shimano XT. I think the problem might be in the shifters but i'm not sure. How can i fix this?

Posted: Aug 2, 2008 at 9:09 Quote
Surlybikes13 wrote:
The bike shifts into every gear except for the easiest. I've adjusted the limit screws, but it didn't do any good. The Derailleur and shifter are shimano XT. I think the problem might be in the shifters but i'm not sure. How can i fix this?

If you've tried the high and low screws then try the cable tension barrel...if that doesnt work make sure the cable is tight(mayhave stretched a bit) if it isnt any of those then the indexing is off in your shifter

Posted: Aug 2, 2008 at 13:01 Quote
hockeynut wrote:
Surlybikes13 wrote:

If you've tried the high and low screws then try the cable tension barrel...if that doesnt work make sure the cable is tight(mayhave stretched a bit) if it isnt any of those then the indexing is off in your shifter

Well how do you fix the indexing then?

Posted: Aug 2, 2008 at 13:06 Quote
is i9t front or rear thats not shifting,and if its rear it could be your mech hanger out of whack.

if it aint i would try and reset the whole thing,but knowing how many gears you have would help also.

Posted: Aug 2, 2008 at 13:12 Quote
is that your bike in your profile,and if you have 9 gears then you should have 8 clicks from the shifter.

Posted: Aug 2, 2008 at 13:16 Quote
the same thing happened to me. your problem is the chain is too short, possibly just too short to reach around the largest gear in the back. well at least thats my problem. by the time my chain is trying to go into 1'st gear, the deraileur is useless because its stretched all the way out. you might want a new chain if thats the problem. or go ss

Posted: Aug 2, 2008 at 13:22 Quote
Take a 5mm allen tool and disconnect the cable.
Manually shift the derailleur into the highest gear.
If that works then turn the cable tensioner all the way in.
Reconnect the cable and tension it properly, using the tensioner for fine tuning.

If you can't manually shift the derailleur into that gear then you have problem with something being bent. Look it over and make sure nothing is out of line.

Posted: Aug 3, 2008 at 16:29 Quote
so if the shifter clicks 7 times then you just gotta readjust like the above post.

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2014. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv14 0.014137
Mobile Version of Website