Riding Downhill Bikes Up Hill

PB Forum :: Downhill
Riding Downhill Bikes Up Hill
Posted: Aug 10, 2008 at 3:01 Quote
Cheers for the advice from everyone. The sx trail looks like a good option.

I have also been looking at the santa cruz bullit. Would i be right to say that this bike would be ok for racing the odd bit of dh providing its set up correctly with some bigger forks and possibly floating breaks? Would this be better then the sx trail?

Posted: Aug 10, 2008 at 4:15 Quote
I have been riding my DH bike for the past year or so as an all mountain and XC bike because of where I currently live.

Trick is high pressure in your LOW roll resistance tires-I actually ride XC on my DH bike with maxxis hook worm tires. It is NOT anywhere near as easy as riding a proper XC bike but the downhills are ALOT more fun and you kick any XCers ass going down LOL.
The thing with XCing DH bikes is also the fact that you don't truely have a granny gear if you run the traditional lightweight single cog with double sided bash gaurd up front. So when you get into anything over 12% grade you will probably have to walk if its longer than 100feet/30meters (very ball park estimate I just pulled out of my head).
Can and is being done and it builds up tree trunks of legs if you have the stamina to keep going over time.

Posted: Aug 10, 2008 at 4:29 Quote
Depends which is more important to you. There are some very good bikes out there that can do both very well. Have a look at the new Trek Remedy. Very capable in both aspects. Or other bikes such as the Commencal meta 66. I would go for the trek with 6 inches of gobblibg suspension, but a good climber as well. Whatever you end up getting you might consider the Crankbros Joplin seatpost to go with the bike.

Posted: Aug 10, 2008 at 6:53 Quote
I ride up pretty steep hills with out a problem you will learn to naturally pedal in sinc with the suspension

O+
Posted: Aug 10, 2008 at 11:28 Quote
No shame in walking if you have to.

O+
Posted: Aug 10, 2008 at 21:14 Quote
akirizu wrote:

There is on an XC group ride.

Posted: Aug 10, 2008 at 21:22 Quote
look into mongoose's kyber. their freedrive system works REALLY well. if you don't believe me read the latest mongoose test ride here on PB.

Posted: Aug 10, 2008 at 22:23 Quote
Freedrive is just an alternative to I-drive, but somehow they made it work better.

Posted: Aug 10, 2008 at 22:37 Quote
exactly, it something to do with some brace that connects by the bottom bracket, or something. i'm not for sure on how it works, i just know it does.

O+
Posted: Aug 11, 2008 at 0:35 Quote
hustler wrote:
akirizu wrote:

Big bike vs spandex lovers.... I think the winner is clear. Razz

Besides, any crap they give you going up, you can shoot straight back going down. Plus with the speed advantage on the down hill, you can make it a good way up the next hill and minimize the hiking. haha

Posted: Aug 11, 2008 at 1:05 Quote
akirizu wrote:
hustler wrote:
akirizu wrote:

Big bike vs spandex lovers.... I think the winner is clear. Razz

Besides, any crap they give you going up, you can shoot straight back going down. Plus with the speed advantage on the down hill, you can make it a good way up the next hill and minimize the hiking. haha
has anyone ridin a howler

Posted: Aug 12, 2008 at 15:33 Quote
chekc out the mongoose khyber..

Posted: Aug 12, 2008 at 15:46 Quote
mosdefdef1234 wrote:
chekc out the mongoose khyber..
yep that's what i said too!

Posted: Jun 12, 2014 at 16:31 Quote
I LIVE IN TENERIFE, SPAIN (HILLY PLACE) I LOVE TO GO UP TO COME DOWN. I WOULD LIKE TO BUY A TURNER DHR FRAME, I KNOW DHR IS ONLY FOR DOWNHILL, HOWEWER I WANT TO HAVE FUN TO CLIMB WITH MY BIKE. COULD I INSTALL A TWO RINGS CRANKSET OR 1X11 (RAM, SHIMANO) TO MAKE THE FRAME SUITABLE FOR MY POURPOSE ?

ADVICES

Posted: Jun 13, 2014 at 1:58 Quote
hms3 wrote:
I LIVE IN TENERIFE, SPAIN (HILLY PLACE) I LOVE TO GO UP TO COME DOWN. I WOULD LIKE TO BUY A TURNER DHR FRAME, I KNOW DHR IS ONLY FOR DOWNHILL, HOWEWER I WANT TO HAVE FUN TO CLIMB WITH MY BIKE. COULD I INSTALL A TWO RINGS CRANKSET OR 1X11 (RAM, SHIMANO) TO MAKE THE FRAME SUITABLE FOR MY POURPOSE ?

ADVICES

Before forking out the coin on a 1/11 look at getting a narrow wide 32 or even 30 for the rear cassette you have?

Nice searching btw Smile

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.016013
Mobile Version of Website