Good Dirt jumping/street Tires?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Good Dirt jumping/street Tires?
Posted: Jun 4, 2015 at 23:26 Quote
[Quote="lovethedirt"]Just found this forum, thought id give my opinion.
-Krad's: Great starter tire, all around good but not amazing at anything.
-Intense microknobby: Awesome for the first month until you wear them down.
-Holy roller: So far the best I've ridden, starting second season on them and wearing slowly. good in skateparks, loose dirt, packed dirt and mud.[/Quote

edit:sorry, this is in response to the last few posts. not just the one quoted

This is a DJ Forum ,there fore trust me.... There is no clear choice ever. I don't want the whole gear ratio-type scenario to happen now, so I'll get this thread up to speed.

Booze lights and Racekings are the new 'small blocks'

Nobody likes small blocks, although they are a decently logical choice for dirt when considering weight, speed(rolling resistance at 60psi), price, and grip, as the main factors in choosing a tire. This is also why (I think) racekings are popular among dj riders. They grip loose and hardpack really well for a shallow-knob tire, yet they are lighter and roll better on concrete than sb8s.

Dths are great, similar to DMRs though(supermotos), except with a thicker sidewall (another huge factor you should consider when choosing a tire)

My favorite is KHE mac2 dirt front, park rear. With this specific combination you have to be careful with regards to tire pressure. if you go a slow as 40, and try to 180, the sidewall will blow out EVERY TIME. I should also mention that oin a gravelly trail that I have literally rode 30000 times right beside my old house in my hometown, I slipped with KHEs in corner and dislocated my shoulder. I'm not even gonna begin to blame that on my tires, but e very tool blames his tools lol...

Intense mk2s are a myth now. Not worth discussing a discontinued tire (company) but I will anyway because they are actually that good. I always thought they were the best ever all around tire. They were cheap, fast rolling, good at high or low pressure... I have been saving my last 2 of these tires for a pretty long time now...I'll probabl never have a bike worthy of putting them on, haha

Holy rollers are oldie schoolers... I used to run them exclusively for years and theyre pretty bad when stacked up in terms of weight, and price. they are almost too heavy duty for anything outside of the woods. you can do more with a lighter tire that is less chunky. If you consider my earlier statement about Racekings being a better, newer sb8. Booze lights are a better, lighter, version of Holy rollers. Lighter tires give you a huge advantage over heavier ones, from my experience. especially when jumping or accelerating.

Table tops are okay, but basically obsolete. A ;little too heavy to be competitive yet still not THAT grippy or durable. All 3 of my tabletops got sidewall wear and tear eventually...and by eventually I mean I the first 2 months. After that I gave up on Tables entirely.

If you ride 24s, I strongly recommend Trackmarks... Kinda rare though

Lastly in the "big name companies" dept. Specialized rhythym lights are awesome, as are Bontrager Gzeros (I think)

That is all I have the energy to type right now. Sorry for ranting

Posted: Aug 16, 2015 at 15:51 Quote
anyone try out Veetires dj tire? im gonna test out their dh and dj tire

Posted: Oct 3, 2015 at 0:33 Quote
nickcallaghan wrote:
Schwable table tops are good, thats what im riding right now
yeh me too greatest tires

Posted: Oct 12, 2015 at 15:15 Quote
specialized compounds?

Posted: Feb 6, 2018 at 0:15 Quote
Does anybody have experience with Schwalbe Table top tires? I'm thinking about buying them on my jump bike, so any piece of advice appreciated.

Posted: Feb 7, 2018 at 4:21 Quote
prisoner685 wrote:
Does anybody have experience with Schwalbe Table top tires? I'm thinking about buying them on my jump bike, so any piece of advice appreciated.

TableTops are excellent tires. Super grippy!! So don't run them on buttered out trails.
Not the lightest but great all around play tires.

Posted: Feb 18, 2018 at 17:57 Quote
What's the best dirt-only DJ tire right now? I'm looking at the Schwalbe Table Top but would like some advice. Thanks in advance.

I ride a BMX in the street and in the park, but I run a Cryptkeeper on dirt jumps. I have DTHs on it now but I'd like something with more bite. Dirt jumping is a tertiary hobby (after downhill and BMX park) so I'm not doing anything serious. Weight means next to nothing to me (I don't care if each tire is 800g).

Posted: Oct 9, 2018 at 17:21 Quote
I recommend Specialized Rythm Lite Control 26x2.3 dirt jump tyres. These are tough and very light. Kevlar bead so no wire and folding (come folded literally in box). 60 tpi case only 610g per tyre and can be run as low as 25psi right up to 60psi. Excellent grip on asphalt, tarmac, wood and metal ramps. Very good on varied surfaces like gravel, dusty tracks and dry mud. Makes a great urban city tyre. Also try Schwalbe Table Top 26x2.3 tyre similar to Rythm and a very good tyre. I've been looking at trying the Vans DJ tyre (Vans the skate shoe manufacturer) made by Cult Crew Inc. with a crazy waffle tread pattern like the bottom of a Vans skate shoe which looks very cool.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.035544
Mobile Version of Website