how to remove a crank without a crank puller??

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
how to remove a crank without a crank puller??
Posted: Aug 15, 2008 at 13:27 Quote
with me a big mallet does not work i would say just invest in a crank extracter/puller they don't cost too much and are a valuble tool for your home machanics collection

Posted: Aug 15, 2008 at 15:01 Quote
xxJon wrote:
thanks people, and i need it off because im changing it over, when i take it out will i be able to reuse it?

If you're going to re-use it take it to a shop or buy the tool.

If you can't do the job properly don't do it at all.

Posted: Aug 16, 2008 at 3:46 Quote
hustler wrote:
Hate to ask, but why do you need it off if you dont have a crank puller? You're clearly not well equipped as a home mechanic, and maybe should consider leaving some of the BB area as a secret undiscovered country.
he might have messed up threads in his cranks so he cant use a crank puller

Posted: Aug 16, 2008 at 5:39 Quote
ive got the same problem because my cranks are cross threaded and i cant use the crank puller i have. and i tired ridin without the bolts on and it didnt work lol. i rode really hard for days to no avail. so im just leaving them on.

Posted: Aug 16, 2008 at 7:38 Quote
can you get crank extractors that can remove octalink cranks?.

Posted: Aug 17, 2008 at 2:53 Quote
jamiejamiejam wrote:
ive got the same problem because my cranks are cross threaded and i cant use the crank puller i have. and i tired ridin without the bolts on and it didnt work lol. i rode really hard for days to no avail. so im just leaving them on.
they must have been on really tight lol was it the first time you tried to take them off because thats the hardest time

Posted: Aug 17, 2008 at 3:03 Quote
cover the crank in a tea towel then beat the living day lights out of em with a tough plastic hammer=D

Posted: Aug 17, 2008 at 3:14 Quote
ed--- wrote:
jamiejamiejam wrote:
they must have been on really tight lol was it the first time you tried to take them off because thats the hardest time

ye it is. theyre gay cranks, they wobble and stuff lol. ive tried hammering them too but me and my mate ended up hitting them as hard as we could haha. but ilkl just elave em on till they blow up or something.

Posted: Jan 16, 2009 at 15:05 Quote
AdamKS wrote:
can you get crank extractors that can remove octalink cranks?.
yeah its the same as an isis crank puller

Posted: Jan 16, 2009 at 15:13 Quote
unscrew bolts, Put some old rag or tube(bike tube in the tyres ya know?) and slightly hit it with the hammer, it will eventually fall off... if u want i'll post a video of me doing so... if u havent removed the crank allready lol

Posted: Jan 16, 2009 at 15:19 Quote
People... people... people... crank pullers start at 10.00 so if you're going to work on your bike why not just buy one. Definitely cheaper than risking wrecking your crank using a hammer or the ride off method described.

Do not take the bolt off and ride around untill it comes loose if you want to reuse it and expect it to stay tight. Riding it untill it comes loose will work the interface and will very likely result in a crank that won't saty tight at some point.

10.00 for a puller is less than most shops will charge to re and re your crank. The easiest way to build up your bike tool collection and spread out the cost is to buy them when you need them.

Posted: Jan 16, 2009 at 18:32 Quote
thanks for throwing down some real info davemud. the rest of these posting are super lame and totally wrong. dont post info if you don't know what you are talking about.

Posted: Jan 16, 2009 at 18:39 Quote
yepp, DaveMud has it right. just get the tool or go to your bike shop. buying it one by one is alot cheaper. once you get all the Drive train bits and wrenches you can pretty much do anything on your bike. for everything you need to remove and install a new crankset and BB you can find the tools for about $20-50. if your so cheap that that seems expensive then go ride your bike till the crank falls off and you bag yourself on you ridiculously high pointing seats while wearing your skinny jeans.

Posted: Jan 17, 2009 at 6:37 Quote
I just use the method i mentioned because there arent any bike shops in a 14 mile radius, and no busses either, so if i wait till i get transport to go there, the bike becomes ''last yrs bike''

So i just make stuff up...

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2014. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv16 0.017395
Mobile Version of Website