Broken Collar Bone Recovery Time

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
Broken Collar Bone Recovery Time
Posted: Nov 14, 2010 at 15:43 Quote
i've broke my clavicle two days ago and i've read all 21 pages of this forum but i havent really found any better way to sleep if there is one

Posted: Nov 14, 2010 at 18:29 Quote
eff-clavicles wrote:
i've broke my clavicle two days ago and i've read all 21 pages of this forum but i havent really found any better way to sleep if there is one
almost in vertical position, seated in bed, lean on a wall and put pillows all around you so you dont fall sideways.
thats how i managed to get some sleep the first weeks, both times

O+
Posted: Nov 15, 2010 at 3:37 Quote
sie7e wrote:
eff-clavicles wrote:
almost in vertical position, seated in bed, lean on a wall and put pillows all around you so you dont fall sideways.
thats how i managed to get some sleep the first weeks, both times
I Slept on my back and put pillows around me so i couldn't fall out. I hate sleeping on my back !

Posted: Nov 15, 2010 at 4:55 Quote
Yeah the only option you got is sleeping on your back. although what i did was alot different. Because i had a big displacement of the bones about 1 inch i had to adapt a new technique to make sure it doesn't set in that position.

And before anybody asks surgery was out of the question surgeon said i wouldn't need it and it should heal fine after a while.

Anyway: I had to somehow put a pulling force on both the bones so they pull apart from each other and close the gap. What i did for around 25 days is Sleep with pillows underneath My back so my shoulders fall backwards therefore creating a pulling force, also sleeping on my good side and letting my arm hang behind my back which also created a pulling force. After doing this and several Excersises it healed great by about 2 months and i was back "Hard" riding in about 3 months. Make sure your diet is great if you want to get back fast. Plenty of water and Calcium. Hope you get better Smile

Posted: Nov 20, 2010 at 6:26 Quote
yes the only real way to sleep is on your back and dont move. ive had numerous broken clavicles and have had to learn all the positions. last time i fractured one of my vertibrae and cracked a couple ribs and broke my right clavicle, not many positions to work with there. sometimes it feels like your gonna be like that forever, but time heals all wounds. downhill dvds and lots of herb usually does the trick!

Posted: Feb 1, 2011 at 15:46 Quote
I've broke mine 4 times now, sling it for a week or so then slowly try n get rid of the sling. after 2-3weeks light you should be able to move/lift 5-10lbs and 5-6weeks you can do range of motion exersise then get back at er 6-7weeks from the break

Posted: Feb 17, 2011 at 3:18 Quote
Broke my right clavicle back in September (12th) and got the all clear from the doctor to ride on February 2nd.
When I initially broke it the doctor gave me a choice of having surgery or letting it heal naturally, he did tell me that the healing time would be very similar with either option. I'm pretty sure the surgery option would have healed allot quicker than it did in the end, If I ever get the option again I know what I will be choosing!

Posted: Feb 18, 2011 at 16:13 Quote
Internetbiker wrote:
Broke my right clavicle back in September (12th) and got the all clear from the doctor to ride on February 2nd.
When I initially broke it the doctor gave me a choice of having surgery or letting it heal naturally, he did tell me that the healing time would be very similar with either option. I'm pretty sure the surgery option would have healed allot quicker than it did in the end, If I ever get the option again I know what I will be choosing!
getting surgery does imply having a Ti bar screwed to your bone, right?
if so, remember is taking all that pain twice...

i broke mine twice, both times naturally healed, dont regret it and is running strong

Posted: Feb 19, 2011 at 5:18 Quote
sie7e wrote:
i broke mine twice, both times naturally healed, dont regret it and is running strong

Did they both heal ok, with no major lumps or having lop sided shoulders?

My right shoulder is now noticeably lower than the left and has a pretty large lump.

Posted: Feb 19, 2011 at 6:52 Quote
Internetbiker wrote:
sie7e wrote:

Did they both heal ok, with no major lumps or having lop sided shoulders?

My right shoulder is now noticeably lower than the left and has a pretty large lump.
they are pretty level, and no lump cuz the bone was acomodated so it wouldnt heal mounted one side over the other.

Posted: Apr 30, 2011 at 2:28 Quote
Broke mine 5 daya ago, clean but slightly displaced like most, looks a lot like this x-ray from earlier in the thread.

[img] https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3119/3318877883_601fe3cca2.jpg[/img]

I'm finding that even after 4 days I really don't *need* the sling. I can sit and type normally here for instance with just a slight feeling of tightness.

Going back for a follow up in 3 days but am I being stupid for not using the sling if I don't feel I need it (the arm is always supported by desk or other arm at home and I do use the sling anytime I leave the house) or is it valid that if I don't feel I need it, to just not use it?

Liking that people are getting decent motion back well inside a month, makes me feel better, I'm not a mountain biker but a road biker, kart racer and soccer player. I've decided that I'm waiting 3 months to kart and I might leave soccer to next season since that's the impact sport here.

Any thoughts? I'm 30 if it helps.

Posted: Apr 30, 2011 at 3:59 Quote
Unlucky dude. Mine was practically the same break! Broken it twice on the same shoulder now haha

Re-Broke it on the Tip closest to the SHoulder joint this jan. But healed in 4 weeks and to this day i cant tell i had ever broken anything so dont worry about any disabilities or anything!

Considering i had the same displacement as yours i didnt go and get surgery as i was told it wasnt nessesary as my body would deal with it well and it did.

I used the sling for about 1 week only but soon found out i got more comfort resting it on chair/sofa/desk.

Also when you got to sleep to help pull the bone back a bit (It will never go back straight) what i did when i slept was Put 2 pillows under my back and let my shoulder stretch back, this had a good effect and reduced the displacement by a whole inch Smile

Its good not so have to sling sometimes to use the muscles in the shoulder and keep them awake obviously if any pain occurs dont continue!

But yeah My point is:

Movement will be 100% back to normal once healed plus its stronger as time goes by. Being 30 shouldnt impact it too bad just stick to plenty of water and get a decent amount of calcuim (Dont overdo with the C). You will be riding better than ever once healed!

Get well soon dude Smile

Posted: May 6, 2011 at 12:52 Quote
As an update, the 2nd x-ray about 10 days after the crash showed the displacement had closed massively, the consultant went from talking surgery to seeing the x-ray and saying "Yeah, don't". It's now "well under 2cm" according to the Mr.

Have further x-ray at 6 weeks and if joining, physio starts the day after.

It already feels ok at just under 2 weeks. I'm using the sling when out, mostly to stop people bumping and I'm not going to drive or cycle until the 2nd x-ray but I can already use the computer fine and play at least console games so that's good.

Hopefully it'll be joining at 6 weeks.

Posted: May 6, 2011 at 13:02 Quote
Good news man if its that small of a gap it will close up nicely Smile Good luck!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.015510
Mobile Version of Website