Broken Collar Bone Recovery Time

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
Broken Collar Bone Recovery Time
Posted: May 5, 2015 at 16:41 Quote
broke my left collar bone last wednesday at opening day at highland. it's been a very fast recovery so far (i'm 24) - my bone has already fused itself back together. i'm out of my sling for most of the day without much pain (sneezing is the f*cking worst though). doctor at mgh didn't give me much attention but said i could ditch the sling whenever i wanted to and that id make a full recovery without surgery.
photo
this is my xray from the day of the break

how long should i wait to get back into dh - i'm going to do as much pt as i can starting this friday (day 9 of injury)

Posted: May 5, 2015 at 23:09 Quote
sfrucian wrote:
broke my left collar bone last wednesday at opening day at highland. it's been a very fast recovery so far (i'm 24) - my bone has already fused itself back together. i'm out of my sling for most of the day without much pain (sneezing is the f*cking worst though). doctor at mgh didn't give me much attention but said i could ditch the sling whenever i wanted to and that id make a full recovery without surgery.
photo
this is my xray from the day of the break

how long should i wait to get back into dh - i'm going to do as much pt as i can starting this friday (day 9 of injury)

Looks like a clean break very much like mine but yeh your early days yet, just cause it's stopped clicking and grinding doesn't mean much really, and the doctor saying ditch your sling is wrong but that's busy emt doctors for you.

If your experience is anything like mine you should be getting a referral to the fracture clinic at your local hospital sometime soon, they will explain the reality of your break and how long till you can ride again.

Enjoy the journey Smile (3 months ish)

Posted: May 6, 2015 at 20:09 Quote
Don't rush it. I wouldn't even think about riding anything until at least 6 weeks post break and that is still extremely early. People that start PT that early usually have it pinned so there isn't any movement of the bone.

Posted: May 8, 2015 at 22:10 Quote
Had my first session of PT today and the outlook is very good for a fast and speedy recovery. I surprised myself and the DPT at the amount of mobility I had. Anyone have any experience taking symphytum officinale 30c?

Posted: May 8, 2015 at 22:28 Quote
My collarbone after i fell off on November 29th 2014. needed surgery
I broke my left collarbone back in november and it was a full three months until i was back on downhill again. I had a plate in but it has healed really well. *note: the piece sticking up was shattered into three pieces*

O+
Posted: May 24, 2015 at 6:51 Quote
Broke my left collar bone and shoulder blade 9 days ago. Still have quite a bit of pain and no use of arm. So far doc says it should heal on its own and no surgery. I hope this heals soon!

photo
broken collar bone

O+
Posted: Jun 2, 2015 at 6:27 Quote
A month ago I broke my collarbone, it was a medial or proximal break, closer to the mid line/ neck than most. One of the 5% in that location. The ER had to show me where the break was in the xRay, it was just this little even break. Someone took me home (and I was left alone) and tried to change my clothes and I swear I broke it again after that.

Could not move for the first few days. I was put in a sling and told to wait it out which I know is standard procedure for a clavicle fracture. Either I did too much too soon or it was the location but the xray 2 weeks later showed a bone completely apart and uneven. I had a big bump sticking out, which I can live with, but was told that it could slide farther and the feeling that my arm was going to fall off was not going away. The second ER doc reminded me of well, ME, and asked me if I was an active person. She had the same procedure and said that although surgery is optional, the bone will eventually grow together, but I can have problems with my neck muscles and back. After talking with the orthopedic doc I opted for surgery because the longer you wait the harder the surgery...Ouch

It's only been a week and still recovering but I'm pretty sure I made the right choice more worried about paying the bill for it all now. I may add that I haven't even seen the scar yet but it will be a reminder to slow down. Of course I'm a mom in my late 40s and not so gung ho about getting back on the bike like a lot of people on this forum, and I can do other stuff to keep me occupied for now, but after mountain biking for the past year I can understand the passion for it.

I think so much depends on where the break is and if it is shattered or not. And your age. But you guys who are right back on the bike a few weeks later let yourself heal...live and learn

Posted: Jun 15, 2015 at 2:39 Quote
Another guy joining the ranks of the many. Facepalm

I broke mine (ironically during a MTB skills course!) trying to learn to whip over a small 5ft gap jump 3 weeks ago on 23rd May.. Messed it up, hit the deck pretty hard. Worst thing is/was I am going to the Alps on 11th July which was just 7 weeks from day of fracture so it put the trip into question.

The bone separated 2cm so I was booked into see a consultant a few days later. Consultant reckoned it would eventually heal itself but having surgery would be far quicker. He did advise against the trip though....but I wasn't listening Wink

photo

photo

photo

So I got booked in for the surgery and it went head on the 1st of June (9 days after the actual accident).

photo

photo

So that literally left 6 weeks from op to trip. I went back for a check up and the wound has healed incredibly fast, this is just 10 days post op:

photo

Consultant said he was very impressed at the speed of the incision healing but was less impressed at my ideas about the trip. His advice was that 6 weeks was the minimum time I should think about riding (crashing) and that 8 weeks would be preferable. He said not to do any heavy lifting for at least 4 weeks and definitely nothing above my head. He did say though that I could start light swimming only 2 weeks post op and that stationary cardio like exercise bike would be fine pretty much straight away.

So today I am exactly 2 weeks post op. I have good range of movement but nothing too heavy. I forgot about the injury and lifted my god daughter who is nearly 4 onto my shoulders at the weekend and that hurt a bit. Need to keep up my cardio and try gentle exercise soon.

The Alps trip is definitely still going ahead I just have to take it easy and not crash lol

O+
Posted: Jun 15, 2015 at 9:47 Quote
Crownan wrote:
Another guy joining the ranks of the many. Facepalm

I broke mine (ironically during a MTB skills course!) trying to learn to whip over a small 5ft gap jump 3 weeks ago on 23rd May.. Messed it up, hit the deck pretty hard. Worst thing is/was I am going to the Alps on 11th July which was just 7 weeks from day of fracture so it put the trip into question.

The bone separated 2cm so I was booked into see a consultant a few days later. Consultant reckoned it would eventually heal itself but having surgery would be far quicker. He did advise against the trip though....but I wasn't listening Wink

photo

photo

photo

So I got booked in for the surgery and it went head on the 1st of June (9 days after the actual accident).

photo

photo

So that literally left 6 weeks from op to trip. I went back for a check up and the wound has healed incredibly fast, this is just 10 days post op:

photo

Consultant said he was very impressed at the speed of the incision healing but was less impressed at my ideas about the trip. His advice was that 6 weeks was the minimum time I should think about riding (crashing) and that 8 weeks would be preferable. He said not to do any heavy lifting for at least 4 weeks and definitely nothing above my head. He did say though that I could start light swimming only 2 weeks post op and that stationary cardio like exercise bike would be fine pretty much straight away.

So today I am exactly 2 weeks post op. I have good range of movement but nothing too heavy. I forgot about the injury and lifted my god daughter who is nearly 4 onto my shoulders at the weekend and that hurt a bit. Need to keep up my cardio and try gentle exercise soon.

The Alps trip is definitely still going ahead I just have to take it easy and not crash lol
the way I tested myself to see if I was ready to go riding again was that if I could do 50 pushups (or whatever your normal physical amount would be) without feeling any pain or uncomfort then I was good to ride, if I couldn't I waited until I could

Posted: Jun 16, 2015 at 1:40 Quote
nofear259 wrote:
the way I tested myself to see if I was ready to go riding again was that if I could do 50 pushups (or whatever your normal physical amount would be) without feeling any pain or uncomfort then I was good to ride, if I couldn't I waited until I could

The answer to that, being only 2 weeks post op is approx none. lol

I did a few incline pressups against the kitchen sideboard last night and while not painful, its certainly not comfortable. I'll see how I get on in another week. The most dangerous thing for me would be falling off again right now so just cardio and legs at the gym for at least another 2 weeks. Might give swimming a go too.

Posted: Jun 16, 2015 at 11:14 Quote
Yeah, I did a little swimming, but I tried to use my arm just doing light tasks. And then after a month id lift a little more. I also did a few light weights, 1 or 2 kilos, and that helped alot. Also ask your physiotherapist to give you exercises with a thera band. That helped also.

Posted: Jun 17, 2015 at 0:14 Quote
Hi-im-gary wrote:
Yeah, I did a little swimming, but I tried to use my arm just doing light tasks. And then after a month id lift a little more. I also did a few light weights, 1 or 2 kilos, and that helped alot. Also ask your physiotherapist to give you exercises with a thera band. That helped also.

Thanks, I've got a wide range of therabands at home actually, will give them a try. Hit the gym last night, just did legs and an hour of recumbent and standard exercise bike. Will try some light weights and therabands in a week or so when I hit the 4 week mark.

Smile

Posted: Jul 3, 2015 at 3:42 Quote
Little update:

3 weeks post op I was back at the gym, using light weights but going to approx 2/3rds of what I was using before and felt good.

I've been doing cardio on the cycling machines the whole time too.

4 weeks and 1 day post op I went for a little trail ride over Surrey Hills, 2.5 hours of 80% riding, no big jumps or drops but certainly some steep stuff and again, felt fine.

Pressups are a little uncomfortable still and won't even attempt any shoulder presses yet.

Posted: Jul 9, 2015 at 23:17 Quote
Broke my right clavicle on the 1st of July.... over the bars, booked for surgery this Saturday to plate it after seeing Surgeon yesterday (his only non-surgery day of week). I can move my arm around, its not in much pain. Probably max I can bring it up to is in riding stance if I just put my arms up. Its broken down the middle, one bone is straight other is pointed down. Too far apart to heal naturally. Anyone have a clue how long post op till I can handle some light weights (10 lbs) and use it overhead

Posted: Jul 10, 2015 at 1:25 Quote
Best ask your surgeon. It's different for different people.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.016664
Mobile Version of Website