PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
Broken Collar Bone Recovery Time
Posted: Feb 13, 2017 at 1:26 Quote
ruanshijie wrote:
several weeks if every thing goes well. healing soon buddy

you have experienced that?

Posted: Mar 12, 2017 at 5:51 Quote
vandyk wrote:
Broke my right clavicle on September 24th, 2016 in riding in Whistler. It was a clean mid shaft break with significant displacement; the Othopedic surgeon gave me a choice whether to operate on it right away or wait for it to fuse. Initially, I chose the ladder and ended up with a non-union. The surgery took place on February 1st, 2017, and with a vigorous physical therapy regime, I expect to be back shredding by mid-March.

Views: 492    Faves: 0    Comments: 1

How do you feel now a bit before mid march? I broke mine two weeks ago, and got operated on thursday 2nd. Surgeon told me i should wear the sling for 6 weeks after surgery to be sure.

I'm supposed to race fort william bds on 13-14th May, but i'm hesitating a bit now...

Posted: Mar 12, 2017 at 10:25 Quote
CorentinGaudiot wrote:
vandyk wrote:
Broke my right clavicle on September 24th, 2016 in riding in Whistler. It was a clean mid shaft break with significant displacement; the Othopedic surgeon gave me a choice whether to operate on it right away or wait for it to fuse. Initially, I chose the ladder and ended up with a non-union. The surgery took place on February 1st, 2017, and with a vigorous physical therapy regime, I expect to be back shredding by mid-March.

How do you feel now a bit before mid march? I broke mine two weeks ago, and got operated on thursday 2nd. Surgeon told me i should wear the sling for 6 weeks after surgery to be sure.

I'm supposed to race fort william bds on 13-14th May, but i'm hesitating a bit now...
You'll be fine by then

Posted: Mar 12, 2017 at 11:06 Quote
Hi-im-gary wrote:
CorentinGaudiot wrote:
vandyk wrote:

You'll be fine by then

Recovery is delayed, Probably beginning of April before Ill be back on the bike fully.

Posted: Mar 30, 2017 at 19:00 Quote
Broken collarbone!! :/ how long till I'm able to ride wheelies again & take a crash without injuring it again!?

Posted: Mar 30, 2017 at 19:23 Quote
How long till I can ride wheelies & crash without re injuring it!?

Posted: May 25, 2017 at 18:07 Quote
Hey,
Broke my left collar bone this past Saturday racing 41 Cruiser Class and have been reading this link with all this extra sitting around time I now have!

Seeing Ortho tomorrow for first visit after initial emergency room trip, but have a question...anybody have trouble with arm movement immediately after injury?

I made it through 24 pages of this thread and haven't read about anybody having trouble moving arm around after, everyone just seems to keep arm in sling for a couple weeks and outside of a bit of weakness, they're good to go.
I'm 5 days into my break and am having considerable trouble lifting arm to side, say in the same way you'd do if you were doing the "chicken dance" -flapping your arm like a wing.

Not to sound ridiculous but it's the best way I could describe it. Just wondering if thats typical or if Ive really buggered up something. At rest, no pain at all, but seem to have zero strength/ability to raise arm. I can twist my forearm and wrist, slowly bend elbow at bicep, but as for trying to lift arm away from body...its like those muscles disappeared.

Nobody seems to address that. Any thoughts? I'm builder so this whole thing is greatly effecting my long-term abilities.

O+
Posted: May 26, 2017 at 10:08 Quote
Mine was like you describe. Low my arm was fine, but if I tried to raise my elbow in any direction it hurt and didn't really move. I believe it was when the AC joint would get moved any that caused the pain and stopped the movement. That was the last of the pain to leave me, but after working it for a while everything is good.

Posted: May 26, 2017 at 13:11 Quote
hatfield44 wrote:
Mine was like you describe. Low my arm was fine, but if I tried to raise my elbow in any direction it hurt and didn't really move. I believe it was when the AC joint would get moved any that caused the pain and stopped the movement. That was the last of the pain to leave me, but after working it for a while everything is good.

Thanks for reply Hatfield44. Did you have surgery or opt for natural? Just got back from Ortho today and he said I'm right at that 2cm separation, mid bone break, so it's a grey area on how to advise. He said if it were him he'd wait and heal natural, but they give us the option for surgery if we want. He said thats how they treat all newborns with same injury, non-operative, if it made me feel any better.
I want to go natural, but worry about non-fusion. I go back in two weeks for check-up X-ray.

Posted: May 26, 2017 at 13:54 Quote
I couldn't move my arm around much either. It's very normal with the type of fracture. Separation depends on how you have your arm fixed during the x ray, and the angle of the X-ray.

Stay positive. Vitamin d, calcium and magnesium supplement. Smile you be back in 3-4 months.

Posted: May 26, 2017 at 14:13 Quote
FabianJ wrote:
I couldn't move my arm around much either. It's very normal with the type of fracture. Separation depends on how you have your arm fixed during the x ray, and the angle of the X-ray.

Stay positive. Vitamin d, calcium and magnesium supplement. Smile you be back in 3-4 months.

Thanks Fabian, that's encouraging to hear and gotta say, that bit about how your arm is fixed in X-ray is very smart of you. I was thinking that very thing today as I was standing there in my sling with my left arm up (broken side) hoisted up higher than usual as they were taking x-rays, thinking, "I wonder if this is further separating my clavicle bones?"

Here's to lots of supplements, prayers, and maybe some CBD oil (just read that it's really good for healing bone breaks w/o the side effects). If I could just figure out how to ease all the pulled muscles and the secret to sleep. Still feels like my arm will just slide right off w/o sling on, which in itself is a strange feeling.

O+
Posted: May 27, 2017 at 9:14 Quote
I had a plate put in since I had broke mine into 3 pieces and had quite a bit of separation.
Neck rolls really helped to calm muscles.
Sleep is a tough one. I spent a while sleeping sitting up in the corner of the sofa. I was around 2 months in before I could comfortably lay and sleep, but I had 7 broke ribs too. Just try to sit with your eyes closed and kinda zone out, embrace the nods.

Posted: Jun 1, 2017 at 17:29 Quote
For what it's worth I broke my left clavicle on Tuesday afternoon. It had more than 2cm overlap so the doctor advised me that surgery would be the best option for me to heal with full movement intact (I'm a carpenter so a must) i had surgery 2pm the next day..one thing I can say is that the unbearable sharp pain I was experiencing before surgery has pretty much gone afterwards . After the anaesthetic wore I was left with a strong dull ache but It's totally manageable. He did say that recovery would be longer and id be left with a scar. But to not have that pain...totally worth it in now at day 3 since the accident and haven't had pain meds in 8hrs

Posted: Jun 2, 2017 at 4:22 Quote
Been 12 days in so far. You guys were right, started to get some arm movement around day 8. Still not even close to raising arm over head though. I see these videos of guys w/ broken collarbones giving rehab advice and they have such mobility by day 9! WTF?!
Anybody here have any secondary injuries to their shoulder, i.e., torn labram or torn rotator cuffs, or torn muscles? Not talking about cracked ribs (have two of those as well), more like soft tissue damage. Wondering if those injuries would be more difficult to deal with long term, or if they tend to resolve on their own during the down time while healing the collarbone.

Was starting to feel better but doctor put me in figure 8 sling yesterday. Wow! wore it for only 3 hours yesterday and feel like I'm back at square one with the pain factor!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014358
Mobile Version of Website