Leatt Brace

PB Forum :: Downhill
Leatt Brace
Posted: Apr 29, 2015 at 12:13 Quote
Cheers for that Paking. I checked with Leatt and they said to remove the pad at the back of the neck on the Airfit top to allow the brace to be as close a fit as possible.

O+
Posted: Jul 31, 2015 at 11:23 Quote
I'm doing some pretty aggressive DH trails lately, so I bought a full-face (Bell Transfer 9). Now I'm looking at getting a Leatt to save my neck in the case of a fall. I have found the DBX Mike Day braces pretty cheap, but am wondering what the difference is with these compared to the Comps. I'm not really able to spend a whole lot, so one of the $400-500 braces is out of the question. Anyone got any info on the Mike Day editions?

Posted: Aug 3, 2015 at 13:14 Quote
if its the blue mike day one its the same one I have, I don't know if they made multiple of them or not. it's basically just an older model which is why its cheaper, it might be 2 models old at this point, I think its the original mold with the thinner bike padding. It functions perfectly well, the new ones might be lighter and fit better, but i haven't had a chance to use one of those yet.

Posted: Aug 12, 2015 at 9:26 Quote
keeganj95 wrote:
I'm doing some pretty aggressive DH trails lately, so I bought a full-face (Bell Transfer 9). Now I'm looking at getting a Leatt to save my neck in the case of a fall. I have found the DBX Mike Day braces pretty cheap, but am wondering what the difference is with these compared to the Comps. I'm not really able to spend a whole lot, so one of the $400-500 braces is out of the question. Anyone got any info on the Mike Day editions?
Not worth it spending ay money on the older versions. The Leatt improved drastically with model 5.5 and above. If you look well enough, you can find some cheap!

Posted: Sep 2, 2015 at 19:18 Quote
Some thoughts on Leatt / Neck Braces for Parents considering for younger kids/groms.

There's a lot of information on this thread / topic that is very interesting with pro's / con's and ultimately, most parents want to make the best decision when it comes to their kid(s) participating in an inherently dangerous sport.

Keep in mind, kids in the 7-13 year old range have pencil necks, and thus may even have more risk than adults with more developed neck muscles.

I'm including a video link that has 3rd person views of a Leatt Brace "in action" for an 10 year old. You can pause the video at key spots to see how it is sitting, make you own call on if you think it's "restricting" safe riding ability, etc.

https://youtu.be/sdOrdy3ZoZw

His set up: Fox Titan amour size XS ($100 new on sale at WinterPark few yrs ago), amour worn without the 2 upper zippers on the spine protector (fits/moves better this way), Mike Day Blue DBX small brace ($150 new ebay) NOT typically worn with straps (in video has Go Pro chest mounts straps on over part of brace but this was just day of filming), Giro Remedy Carbon Fiber small helmut ($120 new ebay) as feel helmut weight is a big risk factor for young kids small necks. He wears Leatt OVER amour. Other gear, knee/shin pads, long moto pants with UnderAmour padded type football pants for additional padding, and small fox gloves.

Some of my observations from many vertical feet following him and seeing a few good falls:

1. Wears gear without objections, despite it being hotter, etc. A good crash will reinforce wear.
2. Hasn't complained limits his mobility and do NOT think it does in any significant manner (see video).
In fact, IMO, just like a good mogul skier, excessive head movement doesn't seem to be good form.
3. Having his Fox Amour under near brace likely provides more collarbone protection.
4. Seems that direct axial load crash would be mitigated as with fox amour under seems to prevent a "full direct top
compression" accident by the way this fits over his amour.

What's the right thing? No easy answers, but I personally feel more comfortable with him wearing the brace and all the gear.

I personally think the brace lowers risk after reading many posts, websites, etc and also wear one which is helpful when it comes to modeling safety behavior for my kid.

Costs really aren't that high especially for kid size. Figure probably comes down to $50 year on the gear (without reselling it).

Hope that's helpful for parents trying to decide.

O+
Posted: Sep 2, 2015 at 22:30 Quote
Just took a spill on a jump at the bike park last weekend and shattered my left clavicle. Went otb and landed on my helmet, the neck brace took the fall for my neck, but it smashed my collarbone, breaking it in half and into 5 pieces. With how bad it was displaced/broken, I assume it took some serious force. I'm sure this fall could have broken my neck without the Leatt. X-ray for reference
ahref="http://s1358.photobucket.com/user/keegsmcgee/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20150902_232603_zpsf5d5c501.jpg.html" target="_blank">img src="http://i1358.photobucket.com/albums/q771/keegsmcgee/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20150902_232603_zpsf5d5c501.jpg" border="0" alt=" photo IMG_20150902_232603_zpsf5d5c501.jpg"/>/a>

O+
Posted: Sep 3, 2015 at 15:09 Quote
I can get a DBX 5.5 for $250, and it's the right size, would I be dumb not to get it? Not really seeing myself riding DH for till next spring/summer. Do you think I'll be able to get this kind of deal again in the winter???

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011820
Mobile Version of Website