Leatt Brace

PB Forum :: Downhill
Leatt Brace
Posted: Mar 1, 2014 at 0:00 Quote
It sounds like a poor setup to me.

Either that or you have a REALLY short neck.

O+
Posted: Mar 1, 2014 at 0:37 Quote
Mind actually posting up a photo?

Posted: Mar 1, 2014 at 8:50 Quote
phonk7 wrote:
v7fmp wrote:
phonk7 wrote:
Hiya guys, been following this forum for quite a while and based on the info I've found here, in addition to other sources, I decided to buy a leatt 5.5 which I am quite impressed with, in particular the adjustments which are very intuitive.

One issue I have with the brace (or my anatomy!!) is that my chin actually strikes the front section of the brace with only minimal pressure applied to the helmet. Im not sure as to whether this is an issue with the design of the helmet (the chinguard on the helmets barely protrude below my chin) or whether I just have a weird ass face!#
Has anyone else had a similar issue with the Leatt? I will post pics if needed Smile

Is this with you standing in your lounge with it on or with you on your bike in riding position?

I'm standing up, but in a crash you you don't maintain that riding position so I assume the brace should perform normatively in both positions?

Whilst I fully agree with your comments re: position in a crash, I would also check how it feels with you on your bike in a riding position.

Only then can it be determined if the item fits you or not.

My friend went to have one fitted at a local Leatt dealer and no matter how they set it up it didn't fit him. Just because his body is built differently to 99.9% of everyone else's.

Which could also be the case for you.

But don't get me wrong, I am no expert, just throwing in what little knowledge I have experienced with these braces.

Posted: Mar 1, 2014 at 9:50 Quote
v7fmp wrote:
phonk7 wrote:
v7fmp wrote:

Is this with you standing in your lounge with it on or with you on your bike in riding position?

I'm standing up, but in a crash you you don't maintain that riding position so I assume the brace should perform normatively in both positions?

Whilst I fully agree with your comments re: position in a crash, I would also check how it feels with you on your bike in a riding position.

Only then can it be determined if the item fits you or not.

My friend went to have one fitted at a local Leatt dealer and no matter how they set it up it didn't fit him. Just because his body is built differently to 99.9% of everyone else's.

Which could also be the case for you.

But don't get me wrong, I am no expert, just throwing in what little knowledge I have experienced with these braces.

No no, any contribution is very welcome, you will know 10x as much as I do. I tried it whilst riding and it felt fine (although I don't think the setup is great, I'll let you be the judge of that!), barring the issue with the chin. I'll post pics in a minute, you can see that its a helmet issue, essentially in spite of it feeling fine, it rides at inch or so too high.

Posted: Mar 1, 2014 at 10:08 Quote
photo
photo

Yeah, feel a bit dumb now, obviously helmet is too high :S. Same thing happens with THE helmets though. hmmmm

Posted: Mar 1, 2014 at 10:17 Quote
that helmet does not fit your head at all, there should not be that much of your forehead showing. Try pulling the chin bar down.

Posted: Mar 1, 2014 at 10:52 Quote
Nobble wrote:
that helmet does not fit your head at all, there should not be that much of your forehead showing. Try pulling the chin bar down.

It actually fits it quite well barring like you say depth wise, similar thing on THE helmets too Confused

Posted: Mar 1, 2014 at 10:57 Quote
phonk7 wrote:
Nobble wrote:

It actually fits it quite well barring like you say depth wise, similar thing on THE helmets too Confused
then it doesn't fit well.

If you rotate it to the angle it's supposed to be, I guarantee it wont fit.

Posted: Mar 1, 2014 at 11:37 Quote
Mate you need a new lid, Nobble is 100% spot on. That is a piss poor fit, you're not wearing a hat under there are you LOL!

Posted: Mar 1, 2014 at 11:49 Quote
rc8r67 wrote:
Mate you need a new lid, Nobble is 100% spot on. That is a piss poor fit, you're not wearing a hat under there are you LOL!

Haha, will do!

O+
Posted: Mar 2, 2014 at 1:39 Quote
Yeah gotta support that! It should definitely go over your forehead. That said, the helmet should even be way lower on the chin, so it[the chinguard]'ll meet the Leatt even earlier, which I understood was the issue, or was the chin itself actually the matter?

Which is actually quite normal, it's never really a concern though unless you're peeing with the helmet on and want to see if your stuff's still in place, it doesn't really happen riding to get to that position (unless you're going for a front-flip, I suppose), and it's that way to prevent a compression damage to your neck. Pretty sure the Leatt fits you miles better than the lid Smile

I've got a weird head shape and found myself most comfortable in Kali helmets, though TLD seem pretty universal though, if you're into the hype.

Posted: Mar 2, 2014 at 1:49 Quote
If you're unsure what size lid you actually require, either go to a proper mtb LBS that are into DH/FR or a dirt bike dealer and get sized right. Your helmet is the only thing that keeps you out of hospital/morgue/dentists in the event of crash, so don't guesstimate your size. And take your neck brace along too, that way you'll know for sure if you have the right set-up for you, as it's literally your neck on the line every time you ride.

Posted: Mar 2, 2014 at 1:53 Quote
MrDuck wrote:
Yeah gotta support that! It should definitely go over your forehead. That said, the helmet should even be way lower on the chin, so it[the chinguard]'ll meet the Leatt even earlier, which I understood was the issue, or was the chin itself actually the matter?

Which is actually quite normal, it's never really a concern though unless you're peeing with the helmet on and want to see if your stuff's still in place, it doesn't really happen riding to get to that position (unless you're going for a front-flip, I suppose), and it's that way to prevent a compression damage to your neck. Pretty sure the Leatt fits you miles better than the lid Smile

I've got a weird head shape and found myself most comfortable in Kali helmets, though TLD seem pretty universal though, if you're into the hype.

Yeah it was just my chin hitting the leatt. Took a risk with that helmet, didn't try it on before I bought it but it was so cheap that I couldn't resist (£99!). I'll check out some new ones, Bell transfer 9 looks good, bigger shell. Thanks anyway Smile

Posted: Mar 2, 2014 at 2:00 Quote
phonk7 wrote:
MrDuck wrote:

Yeah it was just my chin hitting the leatt. Took a risk with that helmet, didn't try it on before I bought it but it was so cheap that I couldn't resist (£99!). I'll check out some new ones, Bell transfer 9 looks good, bigger shell. Thanks anyway Smile

Facepalm Eek

And you're allowed out of the house on your own?Wink

Posted: Mar 2, 2014 at 2:20 Quote
Please read this as a counter argument to neck braces. I'm not saying it's right, just good to make your mind up once considering all views.

http://orthopaediciq.org/2012/08/19/leatt-brace/

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.012458
Mobile Version of Website