Don't read if you're a strong believer of god

PB Forum :: Social / Political Issues
Don't read if you're a strong believer of god
Posted: Sep 14, 2008 at 6:27 Quote
Andrei13Street wrote:
I'm sick of people who are so obsessed with jesus/god that they start making their life go around their religion not the other way around. I've met people that will go out of their way to honor this imaginary "god" of theirs. Not only that, but they can't even have a normal conversation. No matter what the subject, they eventually start preaching their bullshit about taking god as your savior. It just gets on my nerves. I have many friends who are religious, but don't try to convert me to their religion. I personally have nothing against religion, it just pisses me off so much when people exaggerate and can't talk about anything other than god or jesus. In other words the way i see it is. Feel free to believe in whatever god you want to believe in, just don't try to make me believe in him/her/it too.

On a more serious note.

Let's make this discussable. If you're religious, what makes you stay religious? I for one was religious too, and enjoyed going to church. This was mostly cause of my grandma (RIP). I also had respect for the church at one point. Then i went to one of my better friends' funeral, and lost ALL my respect for the church.(I can explain why if anyone is interested.). After that incident i completely stopped believing in god or anything else like that. I don't personally have any sort of explanation for how we came to be, but some things are better left unexplained. Maybe at one point we will know for certain how we came here. If at that point it is proven without any doubt that we are brought here by a "higher force" i will consider going back to religion, but if it is proven that it was something along the lines of evolution i will stay the same.

I could go on, but i'd just be ranting even more. What are some other people's view on this? and please keep this clean enough that it wont get locked.

Peoples faith and the religion they follow usually command them to try to spread the word on their faith. If they are a follower of Allah they are commanded to spread the word about Allah, same for Christ, and others.

When people are wintnessing to you or anyone else they are not "Spreading their Bullshit", they are sharing their faith and their beliefs with you or others. Peoples faith are not bullshit, it is their beliefs and when you call it bullshit,here on this forum or if you do it in person you may be offending them.

If you do not want to hear someone telling you about their Diety, simply say I am not interested and walk away.

Posted: Sep 15, 2008 at 12:27 Quote
i like how we "might offend" people with strong religious beliefs.
they get away with so much just using religion as a shield! i mean we question [still] peoples scientific views, even when it is a proven fact, yet if someone says something then follows it with " I'm [insert religion]" then we don't challenge it!

i have no problem with people having beliefs, thats there problem, but i do not want to be preached to! [although to right, it's best to walk away and ignore them. most often they don't deserve the dignity of an argument]

Posted: Sep 15, 2008 at 14:10 Quote
xtrememtbkr wrote:
Andrei13Street wrote:
I'm sick of people who are so obsessed with jesus/god that they start making their life go around their religion not the other way around. I've met people that will go out of their way to honor this imaginary "god" of theirs. Not only that, but they can't even have a normal conversation. No matter what the subject, they eventually start preaching their bullshit about taking god as your savior. It just gets on my nerves. I have many friends who are religious, but don't try to convert me to their religion. I personally have nothing against religion, it just pisses me off so much when people exaggerate and can't talk about anything other than god or jesus. In other words the way i see it is. Feel free to believe in whatever god you want to believe in, just don't try to make me believe in him/her/it too.

On a more serious note.

Let's make this discussable. If you're religious, what makes you stay religious? I for one was religious too, and enjoyed going to church. This was mostly cause of my grandma (RIP). I also had respect for the church at one point. Then i went to one of my better friends' funeral, and lost ALL my respect for the church.(I can explain why if anyone is interested.). After that incident i completely stopped believing in god or anything else like that. I don't personally have any sort of explanation for how we came to be, but some things are better left unexplained. Maybe at one point we will know for certain how we came here. If at that point it is proven without any doubt that we are brought here by a "higher force" i will consider going back to religion, but if it is proven that it was something along the lines of evolution i will stay the same.

I could go on, but i'd just be ranting even more. What are some other people's view on this? and please keep this clean enough that it wont get locked.

Peoples faith and the religion they follow usually command them to try to spread the word on their faith. If they are a follower of Allah they are commanded to spread the word about Allah, same for Christ, and others.

When people are wintnessing to you or anyone else they are not "Spreading their Bullshit", they are sharing their faith and their beliefs with you or others. Peoples faith are not bullshit, it is their beliefs and when you call it bullshit,here on this forum or if you do it in person you may be offending them.

If you do not want to hear someone telling you about their Diety, simply say I am not interested and walk away.

I get what you mean, and i realize the post was quite racy, however at the moment, i was quite angry, as i had just gotten into an arguement over the exact issue, and it got a bit out of hand. Sometimes you can't just walk away, as they'll keep trying. Which is why i was annoyed. As i've said in the post, i have no problem with people's belief, but i get annoyed when they try and convert me, even though, i've said no on numerous occasions.

Posted: Sep 15, 2008 at 14:14 Quote
mini-yanni wrote:
they get away with so much just using religion as a shield! i mean we question [still] peoples scientific views, even when it is a proven fact, yet if someone says something then follows it with " I'm [insert religion]" then we don't challenge it!

i have no problem with people having beliefs, thats there problem, but i do not want to be preached to! [although to right, it's best to walk away and ignore them. most often they don't deserve the dignity of an argument]

Exactly. Many times, when asked what religion you are, and you say atheist, you get attacked from all angles, yet when someone tells us their christian or whatever, we have no problem with them being christian. From experience, most atheists like myself get annoyed when they are told to convert back to religion.

Posted: Sep 15, 2008 at 22:12 Quote
Andrei13Street wrote:
mini-yanni wrote:

Exactly. Many times, when asked what religion you are, and you say atheist, you get attacked from all angles, yet when someone tells us their christian or whatever, we have no problem with them being christian. From experience, most atheists like myself get annoyed when they are told to convert back to religion.

Just take the hard agnostic line. "There is no proof either way. I do not know if God exists and (this is the best bit) neither do you, no matter what you believe." It is the exact same argument that they are essentially using to try and convert you to god. You don't believe in God, but you cannot be definitively sure of its non-existence. They believe in God, but they cannot be definitively sure of its existence.

Personally I am an agnostic and I can't see there being any way that anyone is going to be able to prove anything either way in my life time (well unless that whole Apocalypse thing happens in 2012 or whenever they say its due next). In my opinion the average atheist can be equally if not more forceful in shoving their views down people's throats as the average religious type. Admittedly I do live in a country where I don't meet to many fervently religious types though.

Posted: Sep 15, 2008 at 22:34 Quote
austoff wrote:
Andrei13Street wrote:
mini-yanni wrote:

Just take the hard agnostic line. "There is no proof either way. I do not know if God exists and (this is the best bit) neither do you, no matter what you believe." It is the exact same argument that they are essentially using to try and convert you to god. You don't believe in God, but you cannot be definitively sure of its non-existence. They believe in God, but they cannot be definitively sure of its existence.

Personally I am an agnostic and I can't see there being any way that anyone is going to be able to prove anything either way in my life time (well unless that whole Apocalypse thing happens in 2012 or whenever they say its due next). In my opinion the average atheist can be equally if not more forceful in shoving their views down people's throats as the average religious type. Admittedly I do live in a country where I don't meet to many fervently religious types though.

After a little research, i found out what agnostic is. To be honest, it sounds like this life style choice would be the right one for myself. Thinking about it, and reading my original post it actually sounds as if i'm already on that mindset :S...

Posted: Sep 17, 2008 at 23:23 Quote
religion is for the weak

Posted: Sep 17, 2008 at 23:26 Quote
BonzoisGonzo wrote:
religion is for the weak

Oh shit, it's on now! Eek

Posted: Sep 17, 2008 at 23:31 Quote
JokerMachine wrote:
BonzoisGonzo wrote:
religion is for the weak

Oh shit, it's on now! Eek
what i mean by that,is if you cant believe in yourself to pull through tough times and you are going to rely on an imaginary man in the sky???,my thaught are if you in shit only you can dig yourself out of it

Posted: Sep 17, 2008 at 23:46 Quote
BonzoisGonzo wrote:
what i mean by that,is if you cant believe in yourself to pull through tough times and you are going to rely on an imaginary man in the sky???,my thaught are if you in shit only you can dig yourself out of it

I will agree and add a second point to our little theory: Why can't you just be happy that life exists, and not have to think someone made it? You can understand that a garden full of flowers is beautiful without thinking fairies live in it, right?

Posted: Sep 17, 2008 at 23:47 Quote
JokerMachine wrote:
BonzoisGonzo wrote:

I will agree and add a second point to our little theory: Why can't you just be happy that life exists, and not have to think someone made it? You can understand that a garden full of flowers is beautiful without thinking fairies live in it, right?

Finally someone that agrees with me! lol now i'm not alone in my battle against that arrogant fag. Who still hasn't replied to my PM...

Posted: Sep 17, 2008 at 23:50 Quote
Andrei13Street wrote:
JokerMachine wrote:
BonzoisGonzo wrote:

Finally someone that agrees with me! lol now i'm not alone in my battle against that arrogant fag. Who still hasn't replied to my PM...
lmao that is way to true,,so sorry for those that waste time and money on fake religion,,there is a reason the church and religions are so rich,,suckers that are dumb ennough to give them thier money,,when they need help does the church give it back? i dont know i earn my $$ and spend it on my bike Smile

Posted: Sep 18, 2008 at 0:02 Quote
BonzoisGonzo wrote:
lmao that is way to true,,so sorry for those that waste time and money on fake religion,,there is a reason the church and religions are so rich,,suckers that are dumb ennough to give them thier money,,when they need help does the church give it back? i dont know i earn my $$ and spend it on my bike Smile

Do you ever notice how all the people on religious television shows are dressed in the finest suits, they have like 4 gold rings, italian leather shoes, etc, and yet when they're preaching to their group of people, all the people are dressed poor as hell? That's what pisses me off.

If you have a religion, great. I'm glad you've found a hobby or belief that makes you feel good. But, the moment you start making a profit from other people's misery, or trying to spread something that you personally believe in to people unwilling to believe in it, or injure someone in the name of your belief, that is when you cross the line and no longer exist, in my eyes.

Posted: Sep 18, 2008 at 0:06 Quote
JokerMachine wrote:
BonzoisGonzo wrote:

Do you ever notice how all the people on religious television shows are dressed in the finest suits, they have like 4 gold rings, italian leather shoes, etc, and yet when they're preaching to their group of people, all the people are dressed poor as hell? That's what pisses me off.

If you have a religion, great. I'm glad you've found a hobby or belief that makes you feel good. But, the moment you start making a profit from other people's misery, or trying to spread something that you personally believe in to people unwilling to believe in it, or injure someone in the name of your belief, that is when you cross the line and no longer exist, in my eyes.
why dont these religious ppl wake up and read this Smile ,,notice how the preachers are eating surf and turf at the finest restuarants while they drive thier cady around and,,the poor buggers that give there last penny to "help" the church cant afford to eat 3 meals a day

Posted: Sep 18, 2008 at 0:09 Quote
I'm in no way religious, but seriously guys, you're staring to get too stereotypical here... Churches are wealthy, but that's mostly because of how large the number of participants is. There's also the churches in ghetto's that barely stay up, but they still try to help.

I've had my share of corrupt churches (involved a friends death), but i have to say not all of them are that way.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.015328
Mobile Version of Website