Getting in shape for DH.

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
Getting in shape for DH.
Posted: Oct 28, 2008 at 23:31 Quote
stinkybigd wrote:
nlitworld wrote:
sheepsrider wrote:

bulding up lactic acid is not arm pump it leads to you being really swore after the race

Yeah, it is one of the two causes of arm pump. The other is restricted blood flow which is the numb feeling in your hands. The lactic acid part is the sore/tightness feeling.
the only pain that holds me back is dry mouth and my heart. i think if you are very cardiovascular fit, then it would be a lot easier. thats why i started running at school. it really helps and riding XC too. it really made a difference for me.

There was a really good article in the last Decline about breathing correctly. The cause is from breathing through your mouth rather than your nose, which also poorly filters the air to your lungs and a few other adverse affects. It's really just something to practice, because it's far too easy to revert to mouth breathing when you're riding hard. Pick up the newest issue of Decline if you haven't seen it already. The article is worth the read.

Posted: Oct 29, 2008 at 5:48 Quote
bigquotesdamn, you in the Marine Corps? that is a really good work out though. i may try that. btw 3 min. plank is pretty hard, but at least that strengthens your abdemins.

Muay thai
myspace.com/teamhaycraft

scroll down until you see "Robert Longshore"

To the guy about resting. Yeah, you should take a day off every now and then, but normally the full day rest thing is for lifting heavy weights where you're actually working on mass. Now I wouldnt start doing that workout from day 1, but maybe divide it in half ( i.e. doing 25 of each of the sets of 50, 15 burpees, 1 minute plank, 1 mile run) and do 2 circuits of the lower amount. Then increase as you see fit (increase the number of circuits first).

and yeah, dont forget to mix it up. The cardio (when I do the 3 mile runs followed by sprints then back to runs) training replaces the morning trainings. Just make sure you let your body rest for 4 days before your race or w/e you're doing....

[Quoten]

There was a really good article in the last Decline about breathing correctly. The cause is from breathing through your mouth rather than your nose, which also poorly filters the air to your lungs and a few other adverse affects. It's really just something to practice, because it's far too easy to revert to mouth breathing when you're riding hard. Pick up the newest issue of Decline if you haven't seen it already. The article is worth the read.[/Quoten]

nose breathing is the "correct" way to do it, but nothing wrong with reverting to mouth breathing.. I think someone mentioned running with water in your mouth.. maybe it was on the boxing forum, but that works.

[Quoten]
Was that advice directed toward me...Awesome workout for someone that is just trying to get in great shape. But this thread was asking about training specifically for downhill racing. That workout doesn't really address that at all. Doing a bunch of reps is actually the exact opposite of what you want to be doing for a highly anaerobic sport like downhill racing.[/Quoten]

Which is why I averaged 15mph for 26 miles on a cross country trail my first time on a mountain bike. Pedaling a bike is pedaling a bike.

Posted: Oct 29, 2008 at 6:08 Quote
eat good food, sleep lots, take up cyclocross, do some weights and don't have sex on the morning of a race. Then just work on good riding technique and the rest will take care of itself.
A top cyclist that I have started to train with recently said to me "you need to learn how to ride your bike" and I thought, WTF are you on about? I can pull shapes! But then after a few sessions it becomes clear. I can't explain it much more than that, it's about where you put your effort rather than how much. You can be built like Tyson, have insufficient knowledge of your bike, and you'll still be slow. You'll all be saying to yourselves, "this guy is a tw#t" and yes I am, but you do need to learn to ride your bike!

Posted: Oct 29, 2008 at 13:02 Quote
gehrimiahthrrapIII wrote:
eat good food, sleep lots, take up cyclocross, do some weights and don't have sex on the morning of a race. Then just work on good riding technique and the rest will take care of itself.
A top cyclist that I have started to train with recently said to me "you need to learn how to ride your bike" and I thought, WTF are you on about? I can pull shapes! But then after a few sessions it becomes clear. I can't explain it much more than that, it's about where you put your effort rather than how much. You can be built like Tyson, have insufficient knowledge of your bike, and you'll still be slow. You'll all be saying to yourselves, "this guy is a tw#t" and yes I am, but you do need to learn to ride your bike!

actually sex the night before the race increases your testosterone beleive it or not, just dont make it too strenous/extreme lol, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDFelcPAe2s watch all the parts this show actually tested it

Posted: Oct 29, 2008 at 13:10 Quote
ok, so im going to be racing next year, and for my powerfit class we are supposed to make up a two day workout scheduele, where we rotate every other class, with about 8-10 exercises per day. does anyone want to help me make a up a scheduel, or help suggest the best possible esxercies?
thanks alot

Posted: Oct 29, 2008 at 13:18 Quote
artifact wrote:
ok, so im going to be racing next year, and for my powerfit class we are supposed to make up a two day workout scheduele, where we rotate every other class, with about 8-10 exercises per day. does anyone want to help me make a up a scheduel, or help suggest the best possible esxercies?
thanks alot

http://bodybuilding.com/fun/workout.htm#3

some of the best weightlifting exercises are:
squats, cleans, deadlifts, shoulder press, rows, lunges, skullcrushers.... videos all on bodybuilding.com

Posted: Oct 29, 2008 at 13:23 Quote
tmtrebor wrote:
artifact wrote:
thanks alot

http://bodybuilding.com/fun/workout.htm#3

some of the best weightlifting exercises are:
squats, cleans, deadlifts, shoulder press, rows, lunges, skullcrushers.... videos all on bodybuilding.com
i forgot to edit in, but this is what i already do:

squats
shoulderpress
forearm pull down
forearms curl (weight attached to rope driller trhough a hockey stick)
sationary bike- various workouts
tricept dips
skull crushers

i ll check out the other ones too, thaks man!

Posted: Nov 12, 2008 at 17:23 Quote
today I tryed something a bit different I was on a stationary bike and sprinted for about 4min which is a bit longer than one of my longer race runs(the track had an up hill section in it) would this give me the same result as the 40 second sprint 30 second slower pace?

Posted: Nov 14, 2008 at 5:40 Quote
Downhiller-92 wrote:
today I tryed something a bit different I was on a stationary bike and sprinted for about 4min which is a bit longer than one of my longer race runs(the track had an up hill section in it) would this give me the same result as the 40 second sprint 30 second slower pace?

The best thing for you to do would be a ladder interval sprint. Main reason, it simulates a race best. If you can, put your downhill bike on a stationary trainer. 15 sec sprint, 30 sec normal, 30 sec sprint, 30 sec normal, 45 sec sprint, 30 sec normal, 60 sec sprint, 30 sec normal. That equals to 4.5 minutes, which is a decent downhill course. Make sure to sprint all out like you would in a race. You should be standing up for whole thing.

Posted: Nov 14, 2008 at 11:36 Quote
jettj45 wrote:
Downhiller-92 wrote:

The best thing for you to do would be a ladder interval sprint. Main reason, it simulates a race best. If you can, put your downhill bike on a stationary trainer. 15 sec sprint, 30 sec normal, 30 sec sprint, 30 sec normal, 45 sec sprint, 30 sec normal, 60 sec sprint, 30 sec normal. That equals to 4.5 minutes, which is a decent downhill course. Make sure to sprint all out like you would in a race. You should be standing up for whole thing.

Ok i will try that today, thanks.

Posted: Nov 15, 2008 at 6:17 Quote
I know nothing about hooking a trainer up to a DH bike but love the idea and want to do it. Is there a name brand or model that works best for DH bikes or will they all fit? I have a Faith. Love this Thread.

Posted: Nov 16, 2008 at 16:08 Quote
My 150mm axle ends are quite large in diameter, is there a trainer that will fit?

O+
Posted: Jan 12, 2009 at 13:40 Quote
Kadin wrote:
lol 120 isnt that much to bench dude.

It's not about how much you bench press. Its about form and how many reps you do. I only bench press 100 pounds.

Just do sprints up a hill on your DH bike and ride as much as you can.

Posted: Jan 12, 2009 at 14:48 Quote
socalshreder wrote:
Kadin wrote:

It's not about how much you bench press. Its about form and how many reps you do. I only bench press 100 pounds.

i can do 120 max with a bar and 100 max with dumbells, my chest is the weakest part of my body everything else is pretty tank. if you live where it snows too much to ride its a good idea to get an exercise bike or trainer, to keep the legs in shape, just picked myself up one and now i see what 3 months of not riding has done to meFrown atleast ive got time to build all that muscle up againSmile

Posted: Jan 12, 2009 at 16:18 Quote
socalshreder wrote:
Kadin wrote:

Yeah, it actually kinda is. Form is important but mass amount of reps is wrong.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.054727
Mobile Version of Website