Getting in shape for DH.

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
Getting in shape for DH.
Posted: Jan 12, 2009 at 16:39 Quote
stprider16 wrote:
socalshreder wrote:
Kadin wrote:
lol 120 isnt that much to bench dude.

It's not about how much you bench press. Its about form and how many reps you do. I only bench press 100 pounds.

Just do sprints up a hill on your DH bike and ride as much as you can.

i can do 120 max with a bar and 100 max with dumbells, my chest is the weakest part of my body everything else is pretty tank. if you live where it snows too much to ride its a good idea to get an exercise bike or trainer, to keep the legs in shape, just picked myself up one and now i see what 3 months of not riding has done to meFrown atleast ive got time to build all that muscle up againSmile

It dose snow a lot but it dosen't really stay so I do a bit of both. witch type of trainning bike is better one that you kind of lie when you pedal or one where you sit up right like your riding a bike?

Posted: Jan 12, 2009 at 17:01 Quote
tmtrebor wrote:
everyone i know does :-X then again, i hang out with people who have been in sports for their entire lives....

i'm not saying everyone DOES, im saying they SHOULD (hence the reason I said SHOULD in my coment Wink )

I REP 185, max around 220is. That's without lifting weights (i only do bodyweight exercises.. ie. pushups, situps, pullups, squats, sprints, etc)

The best exercise for downhill (or most biking) is sprinting... Whoever said swimming doesnt know what they are talking about... Swimming will work mostly your upper body as you are "pulling" your way across the water... You also burn less calories when you swim compared to when you run / sprint because you are supported by the water so, in a sense, you are "pulling" less of a load.

do a sprint / run circuit with pushups, dips, squats, crunches, and pullups. It is much more efficient... also, if you know what burpees are... use them. they are the best exercise ever.
hahahhaha wow buddy that is soo worng you dont even know, but have fun with that non swimming workout

O+
Posted: Jan 12, 2009 at 17:02 Quote
downhill101 wrote:
hahahhaha wow buddy that is soo worng you dont even know, but have fun with that non swimming workout
The swimming debate has been had, drop it.

Posted: Jan 12, 2009 at 18:45 Quote
Downhiller-92 wrote:
stprider16 wrote:
socalshreder wrote:

It's not about how much you bench press. Its about form and how many reps you do. I only bench press 100 pounds.

Just do sprints up a hill on your DH bike and ride as much as you can.

i can do 120 max with a bar and 100 max with dumbells, my chest is the weakest part of my body everything else is pretty tank. if you live where it snows too much to ride its a good idea to get an exercise bike or trainer, to keep the legs in shape, just picked myself up one and now i see what 3 months of not riding has done to meFrown atleast ive got time to build all that muscle up againSmile

It dose snow a lot but it dosen't really stay so I do a bit of both. witch type of trainning bike is better one that you kind of lie when you pedal or one where you sit up right like your riding a bike?

i cant even ride on the roads lol, its too cold for my suspention so my shock/forks feel like shit and just stick like crazy cause its too cold( its going don to -30 tomorow night) so it just plain sucks, my xc-am bike the fork does the same thing and feels sticky, and my dj bike the bearings are shot in the bb so its hard to pedal, and my road bike isnt built up yet lol thats why i got the exercise bike.i personally like the upright ones because your in a position closer to that of an actual bike, and you can also stand up to sprint, never tried a recumbrant( i think thats what it is) bike theres probably a good reason why they have them not sure what it is. just make sure you get one with a good seat, mine makes my but hurt after like 30 mins its just so uncomfortable and i cant even change it because of how its bolted on there

Posted: Jan 20, 2010 at 22:21 Quote
Good effort guys but a lot of this advice is WAY off. If you want to know how to do something look to those who have already done it. Check out http://www.bikejames.comif you want to get the low down on training for DH riding.

Wish I had something more specific to offer this thread but there is just so much bad info there is no way I could even begin to go through it all.

Posted: Jan 21, 2010 at 11:14 Quote
just go ride your bike, do some pushups, swim, etc.. do anything but sit on yer ass and you'll be fine.

Posted: Jul 19, 2011 at 3:41 Quote
The best thing for you to do would be a ladder interval sprint. Main reason, it simulates a race best. If you can, put your downhill bike on a stationary trainer.
Muscle Builders Supplements

Posted: Jul 19, 2011 at 5:31 Quote
I use a Step-up bench, and i run up and down flights of stairs to get my quads and calves stronger,I eat home cooked meals rather then Fast food.I train on pavement 36.5 km a day on my DH bike.. Rain or shine. I weigh in at 220 pounds and I'm as strong as a ox

Posted: Jul 19, 2011 at 15:33 Quote
ok boys thanks a lot and i need to start training more now just cuz i moved up to elite this year

Posted: May 14, 2012 at 8:40 Quote
Besides the technique parts of downhill training which only come with repetitive dh runs, to be in good athletic shape you need good lactate tolerance.

To improve on your lactate tolerance, which is the ability to keep going with muscles sore and full of lactic acid, you need to train under high lactic acid environments to improve your bodies resilience to it. So, here is what you can do:

Get yourself some sort of hardtail, single speed is best, and find a good 50m hill.

1. Set bike to midchainring and midcassette. (or your single speed ratio should be fine as well)
2. Start a bit before base of hill. Sprint up hill and beyond for 60 seconds, rest for 60 seconds while returning to start. This is one rep. Complete five reps per set.
3. Take 2 minute break.
4. Complete 2-3 sets.

Posted: May 14, 2012 at 10:44 Quote
i like the sounds of that im going to try that after im off workJail

Posted: May 15, 2012 at 5:27 Quote
I Live in Sherbrooke and there is tons of hills here. So i put my bike into 9th gear and keep it there. I train alot biking up to 53km a day. Nothing slows me down not even the weather. My bike weighs in at 45 pounds

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.038183
Mobile Version of Website