avid juicy 7 vs. shimano deore XT?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
avid juicy 7 vs. shimano deore XT?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Sep 17, 2008 at 5:11 Quote
i was thinking of buying a shimano deore XT disc brakes or some juicy 7's, i cant decide, whats theyre weaknesses? strengh's? and how will they be for AM/FR/DH? leaning for the DH side

Posted: Sep 17, 2008 at 7:34 Quote
the Xt's have a bit more power I believe, and are a bit stronger in terms of holding up to a crash or an impact. The Juicy's are nice, but I would go with the Xt's. This is all just from my experience.

Posted: Sep 19, 2008 at 4:46 Quote
more opinions?

Posted: Sep 19, 2008 at 5:06 Quote
get some avid code's.

Posted: Sep 19, 2008 at 5:13 Quote
avid juicy seven is better because you have the control pad,but the shimano xt is sell with a mineral liquid.it's you,decide your priority Wink

Posted: Sep 19, 2008 at 9:54 Quote
both are nice brake sets.

AVID- DOT fluid, heats evenly and keeps consistent pressure under varied temps.
corrosive to paint and other materials and you. some parts are very expensive to replace.

XT- Mineral oil, heats unevenly and more quickly. can cause uneven pressure in braking. easy to work with and won't harm you or paint. but it will give you the sh*ts if you drink it!

you decide.

Posted: Sep 21, 2008 at 4:04 Quote
yes i think both are verry reasonable brakes, i prefer the juicys as the rotors last longer,look better as well, i still think juicys are more powerful also but thats all in the eye of the owner, both great.

juicys for me though.

p.s look at the new avid elixer i have them on my new 5 inch bike and they are unreal.

Posted: Sep 21, 2008 at 7:47 Quote
Hi. I have tested Juicy 7 and shimano XT on my ETS-X this year for all-mountain purpose.

Juicy: Loved them, powerful and definitely a good pick. However, some people may find the juicy a little bit on/off.

XT: I've been really impressed by these one. To be honest, they simply set the new standard for the brakes to come. It is as powerful as the Juicy but has much more modulation.

In brief, I haven't tried the Elixir, but between the Juicy and the XT, I would have to say that you should go with the XT. However, you may find a better deal on the Juicy.

Posted: Sep 21, 2008 at 10:40 Quote
thanks guys, i guess it doesnt really matters between the two, my dads freind is at the US so i asked him to get me either the juicy or the XT, ill see what he will find

O+
Posted: Sep 23, 2008 at 2:01 Quote
I've got Juicy 5s not 7s but they're mostly the same and I think they can be a bit of a nightmare to live with. The pad retention system is apparently tool-less but a lot of people don't find it easy at all. Pushing the pistons back takes a lot of effort and I often resort to loosening the bleed screw and letting a little fluid out. I also find it physically impossible to fit a new set of pads into my front brake as I have the 185mm IS mount bracket which doesn't leave enough gap into the front of the caliper! Do you really want to remove your caliper each time for a pad change?

Posted: Sep 23, 2008 at 2:11 Quote
allyharp wrote:
I've got Juicy 5s not 7s but they're mostly the same and I think they can be a bit of a nightmare to live with. The pad retention system is apparently tool-less but a lot of people don't find it easy at all. Pushing the pistons back takes a lot of effort and I often resort to loosening the bleed screw and letting a little fluid out. I also find it physically impossible to fit a new set of pads into my front brake as I have the 185mm IS mount bracket which doesn't leave enough gap into the front of the caliper! Do you really want to remove your caliper each time for a pad change?

i dont care, i go to the shop, and even if i wouldnt, removing the caliper is not a big deal

Posted: Sep 23, 2008 at 21:42 Quote
I'd go for XT's - just cheaper and easier to work on!

Posted: Sep 23, 2008 at 21:50 Quote
I have xt's on my dh bike and in my experience they have tons of power, but not much modulation, it's either not much braking, or it all grabs at once. they're great for dh, but for street, xc, etc, probably not so much.

Posted: Sep 23, 2008 at 21:57 Quote
i have avid juicy 5s and 7s. i have tested avid codes as well. the juicy 7s work really well, they work way better than the fives and have easy reach adjust. for downhill and free ride i would get the 7s or codes because they have alot of power. the codes have good modulation because of their four piston system, and are very smooth in braking.

Posted: Sep 24, 2008 at 7:48 Quote
im gonna buy the XT, i hope that the new 4 piston arrived to the distributor

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012413
Mobile Version of Website