Whats the difference between single and double wall rims?

PB Forum :: Beginners
Whats the difference between single and double wall rims?
Previous Page |
Posted: Sep 19, 2008 at 15:11 Quote
hey i just startin off bikin and i need to buy better rims for my bike but i dont know the difference between single and double wall rims. Can someone tell me.

Posted: Sep 19, 2008 at 18:01 Quote
double walls are stronger cuz they have the outside wall and then an extra wall inside where the thing that protects your tube from the spokes is

Posted: Sep 19, 2008 at 18:17 Quote
well double walls are stronger, and a bit heavier, but worth the weight. try to get a thinner profile double wall rim if you are using them for like light street and dirt, if you are just starting out there is no reason to buy DH rims and suffer from the weight of them

Posted: Sep 19, 2008 at 18:32 Quote
djjumper13 wrote:
well double walls are stronger, and a bit heavier, but worth the weight. try to get a thinner profile double wall rim if you are using them for like light street and dirt, if you are just starting out there is no reason to buy DH rims and suffer from the weight of them

if you are doing street or dj get mavic ex 729's

Posted: Sep 19, 2008 at 18:40 Quote
DJMcG wrote:
djjumper13 wrote:

those may be too expensive for him, what is your budget man?

Posted: Sep 20, 2008 at 8:44 Quote
under 100$
djjumper13 wrote:
DJMcG wrote:
djjumper13 wrote:

Posted: Sep 20, 2008 at 9:16 Quote
krankedrider31 wrote:
under 100$
djjumper13 wrote:
DJMcG wrote:

then keep the rims you have and save up (unless they are bent to sh*t)

Posted: Sep 20, 2008 at 17:19 Quote
get mavic 317's i believe they are double wall.

Posted: Sep 20, 2008 at 17:38 Quote
I'll get this out of the way first: The amount of walls doesn't really matter.

The difference between the two is:

Single wall - The rim has no inner wall connecting the two sides of the rim. This isn't the greatest picture, but it shows the basic idea of a single walled rim (ignore the square holes, they don't apply with mountain/bmx rims)

http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/images/rims/large_sqfront26black.jpg

Double wall - has a wall between the two sides of the rim for extra support. Not necessary on wide rims. Sometimes also have braces between the first and second wall as well.

http://img250.imageshack.us/img250/586/arayawb6.png

Posted: Sep 20, 2008 at 17:54 Quote
^^^ did you just say the amount of walls doesnt matter? youre an idiot

Posted: Sep 20, 2008 at 18:02 Quote
djjumper13 wrote:
thanks.

It's a common misconception that more walls = stronger. The overall design of the rim is more important. A lot of people cut out the second wall to remove weight on their rims. And, how well the wheel is laced.

Posted: Sep 20, 2008 at 18:09 Quote
jason222bike wrote:
djjumper13 wrote:
thanks.

It's a common misconception that more walls = stronger. The overall design of the rim is more important. A lot of people cut out the second wall to remove weight on their rims.

oh yea definitely, thats why downhillers, dirtjumpers, and bmxers run single wall rims because they weigh the same as double walls but are just as strong. i think that you should start learning a thing or two about biking and stop putting false information on this thread, you are only confusing the kid who posted this thread.

Posted: Sep 20, 2008 at 18:17 Quote
djjumper13 wrote:
jason222bike wrote:
djjumper13 wrote:
thanks.

It's a common misconception that more walls = stronger. The overall design of the rim is more important. A lot of people cut out the second wall to remove weight on their rims.

oh yea definitely, thats why downhillers, dirtjumpers, and bmxers run single wall rims because they weigh the same as double walls but are just as strong.
Single wall is lighter.

Likewise, not ALL rim designs have to be single wall. Wide rims have no need to be double walled.

Posted: Sep 20, 2008 at 18:21 Quote
i was being sarcastic you f*g and no one gives a shit about trials, becasue you are obviusly a trials junkie

Posted: Sep 20, 2008 at 18:23 Quote
djjumper13 wrote:
i was being sarcastic you f*g and no one gives a shit about trials, becasue you are obviusly a trials junkie
Havent mentioned it at all in this thread.

Why are you so angry?

Previous Page |

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2014. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv15 0.015852
Mobile Version of Website