Need help Re: Womens flat pedal shoes

PB Forum :: Girl's Clubhouse
Need help Re: Womens flat pedal shoes
Previous Page |
Posted: Sep 29, 2008 at 18:51 Quote
Hey, I could use a little help. I'd like to get my girl some decent riding shoes for flats. I have 5.10's and like them but have had a hard time finding some in her size (about 37). Are there other decent options? I'm pretty sure she would ride better with better shoes ...

Thanks!

Posted: Sep 30, 2008 at 6:56 Quote
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=6992

I can recommend these, my sister uses them and says they grip really well and are comfy. Also offer some protection around the ankles.

Posted: Sep 30, 2008 at 9:39 Quote
I never even thought of 661. I will take a look tomorrow at the shop.

Mod Plus
Posted: Sep 30, 2008 at 15:03 Quote
Five Ten has a women's specific shoe coming out for 2009. You can also look at the Shimano SH-MP66, Shimano MP90, and Adidas Berm. There is definitely no shortage of shoes on the market that would appeal to women. The most difficult part might be trying to track down something in a smaller size which is often very difficult to do. Almost any decent skate shoe should provide enough support though so you might be able to pick her up a pair of snazzy skate shoes for her as there is way more available in that market than in the riding market for girls. Anything with a stiff sole should be ok.

Posted: Sep 30, 2008 at 21:50 Quote
2009 isnt that far away, winter is coming so I think I have some time.

I have some Nike P-Rods with a pretty stiff sole (that I like myself), but like Laurie said its finding the right size thats tricky. It wasnt hard at all getting her some clipless shoes for spin classes, I just with I could convince my girlie to ride clipped in. She only really rides pretty tame XC anyway.

Are there that few girls riding that shoe companies shouldnt bother? I wouldn't have thought so ...

Mod Plus
Posted: Sep 30, 2008 at 21:57 Quote
There isn't a huge market for women's specific gear/shoes as there really isn't that many differences between men's and women's shoes other than color. For the most part, all shoes come in a narrow, regular, or wide with and come in various sizes for people with small feet to large feet. Therefore, there is no real need for women's specific models as they will just be expensive to manufacture and won't sell as well as the market is very limited. Companies like to make money. If it isn't going to sell, why produce it?

Posted: Sep 30, 2008 at 22:03 Quote
This is true, I do realize how limited the market is.

I hate to say so but she likes the girly colours on her bike gear. According to her thats reason enough to get womens stuff. Personally I think the colour schemes often end up looking like pastel vomit.

Posted: Oct 1, 2008 at 0:55 Quote
I wear an old pair of vans skate shoes and they grip brilliantly and are stiff soled too.

Posted: Oct 1, 2008 at 7:56 Quote
I have these Shimano's in a size 5. They are ultra grippy! Theyre also tough, fairly waterproof and have an ankle guard.

I wore my Etnies skate shoes to ride in the other day and kept slipping off my pedals, which stabbed into my leg and this is my leg after the ride.. ouch Frown

Posted: Oct 1, 2008 at 7:57 Quote
that's my leg permanently! good job Im not trying to pull someone otherwise once they saw my legs they'd leg it!!

Posted: Oct 1, 2008 at 7:58 Quote
GolfChick wrote:
that's my leg permanently! good job Im not trying to pull someone otherwise once they saw my legs they'd leg it!!

mine too lol mine look like I've got caught up in barbed wireEek

Posted: Oct 1, 2008 at 7:59 Quote
I know, me and my female mate i go biking with are covered in bruises and scars.
We just wear tights with our dresses when we go out! (thats fine when its winter..!)

Posted: Oct 1, 2008 at 8:02 Quote
ahh good idea, i dont think thatll work when it coems to next 'summer' and i wear one of my few skirts tho. Ahhh well sod it! least they look impressive!!

Posted: Oct 6, 2008 at 19:33 Quote
I ride Orchid's and really like them. I switched to flats last year after five years of riding SPD and tried a few different pairs of standard skate shoes and they just slipped around. The Orchids stick and are comfortable and look not bad style wise. I think they come in small sizes, I'm a 39. I use the Shimano shoes one gal posted for riding clipped and love the velcro flap on them. Know lots of ladies that ride them for flats and really like them too. Supposedly are designed to still best with the Shimano pedals. Cheers.

Posted: Oct 12, 2008 at 8:25 Quote
Thank you (collectively) for the input. I will show her a few options, and let her decide.

I think she likes any shoes I'm paying for.

Previous Page |

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2014. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv88 0.021129
Mobile Version of Website