Convert a 10mm QR rear hub to a 10mm bolted thru-axle?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Convert a 10mm QR rear hub to a 10mm bolted thru-axle?
Posted: May 7, 2009 at 13:27 Quote
could I take the nuts off my axle buy a 6" bolt from home depot and put that on?

Posted: May 7, 2009 at 13:48 Quote
I just bought a bolt thru axle instead of the QR.

Halo Hex Key Skewers. They make the bike a lot stiffer!!

Posted: May 9, 2009 at 4:58 Quote
uniethan wrote:
could I take the nuts off my axle buy a 6" bolt from home depot and put that on?

what hub you runnimg?

Posted: Jun 17, 2009 at 12:01 Quote
I have a "Formula 36H" rear hub, as listed from the manufacturers website. It has a quick release skewer on the rear(135mm spacing), would i need to purchase a 10mm axle to make it a non QR thru-axle?

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=105
This link shows a hollow axle, that the skewer goes through. So I would be replacing that hollow axle with a longer solid axle right?

So if I have the right idea, which axle would i need to purchase from here?
http://wheelsmfg.com/content/view/469/32/

Posted: Aug 24, 2009 at 11:09 Quote
knobzy wrote:
you might possibly need this:
$14-$20 can from LBS!

i also wanna convert my loose ball 135mm Q,R axle to nutted
i want somethin like this but more trick!!
i need to use the cones i all ready got so all i realy need is replacment axle(ti would be nice!) an some nuts
any know of a kit?? tricker than this one????

Posted: Nov 11, 2009 at 12:43 Quote
I have a bolted through axle on my new NS. Its so damn hard to unscrew the nut sometimes, and if you don't screw it tight enough its not secure. Make sure you get good bolts to secure the axle or they round off and leave you screwed!

Posted: Nov 11, 2009 at 12:44 Quote
nojzilla wrote:
knobzy wrote:
you might possibly need this:
$14-$20 can from LBS!

i also wanna convert my loose ball 135mm Q,R axle to nutted
i want somethin like this but more trick!!
i need to use the cones i all ready got so all i realy need is replacment axle(ti would be nice!) an some nuts
any know of a kit?? tricker than this one????

what hub.?

Posted: Nov 12, 2009 at 7:43 Quote
aw man! this an old thread,
the hub is question was a cannondale fire rear hub (actualy a formula with dale logo) that came stock on my chase but, its now so haggard that a few weeks ago on the way home from work the freewheel seized as i was peddeling snapping my chain!!!(the only time i've ever snapped a KMC X9) lucky i was seated at the time!!

now got an old Halo spin doc/freedom disc wheel off an old DH bike wich i know i can get a nutted axle for,but i gotta fit new bearings too cos they're haggerd

Posted: Dec 17, 2009 at 11:46 Quote
im after temporarily converting my deore rear hub to 12mm its currently a qr one i dont know if this is possible i did it with my halo hub on my dmr (got a 10mm instead of the qr then got a 14mm kit) just curious as i cant afford a 12mm hub and i wanted to know if ya could buy anything to do it or ill have to try and attemtp it myself

Posted: Dec 19, 2009 at 8:58 Quote
got hold of some 10 - 14 mm converter washers for a bmx and im going to file them down to fit Smile

Posted: Dec 29, 2009 at 6:52 Quote
anybody know if this work the other way round

so i change a 10mm bolt up to a 10mm qr ?

thanks

waller

Posted: Dec 29, 2009 at 7:19 Quote
waller11 wrote:
anybody know if this work the other way round

so i change a 10mm bolt up to a 10mm qr ?

thanks

waller

depends on the hub,but in all honesty i would keep the 10mm bolt through as qr is mega flexxy unless you go with the dt swiss rws system.

Posted: Dec 29, 2009 at 7:22 Quote
its for a hope pro 2 ?

but not sure if i will change tho

thanks

waller

Posted: Dec 29, 2009 at 7:23 Quote
waller11 wrote:
its for a hope pro 2 ?

but not sure if i will change tho

thanks

waller

pretty sure hope are easy to change you just need the correct axle mount/holder for that hub.

yeah i would stick with 10mm bolt through or the rws if you have to go qr,but to be honest bolt troughs are no slower than qr.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2014. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv92 0.016447
Mobile Version of Website