ZIP TIE Chain Guide how to

PB Forum :: Tutorials
ZIP TIE Chain Guide how to
  • Previous Page
Posted: Nov 15, 2008 at 11:14 Quote
as requested here is a tutorial on how i make my cheap and effective zip tie chain guide
what you need
photo

use 1 giant zip tie there like 8mm wide 1.5mm think and need 2 be at least 350mm long
take the giant zip tie and bend the just below the head so it stays at or near a 90 degree angle
photo

then make a loop around your lower chain stay and your chain pinch it at the bottom so it holds its shape
photo

shorten it to where you want it aka how far up it pulls your chain this depends on derailleur cage length ect.. keep in mind the more tension on the guide the faster the wear aka shorter lifespan

now loop the 2 black zip ties around the stay and front and back of the giant tie DO NOT TIGHTEN ALL THE WAY
photo

make sure you have tire clearance on the back side of the stay so id doesnt rub on your tire
loop the top part down through the x you just made
pinch the top so it holds its shape adjust length and position and tighten
photo

i used a small tie to center the top loop this time

feel free 2 ask any questions

Posted: Nov 15, 2008 at 11:21 Quote
i might have to make one

Posted: Nov 15, 2008 at 11:24 Quote
How often do you have to replace it? Like approx how long does yours last before it wears through and breaks?

Posted: Nov 15, 2008 at 11:26 Quote
yuss that made my day:black tape to protect your frame, and a zip tie chain guide XD lol no its actully preatty sick idea but you should really invest in a lizard skin.

Posted: Nov 15, 2008 at 11:27 Quote
That's a really cool idea! That being said, I'd always be worried about having it wear through at the wrong time.

Posted: Nov 15, 2008 at 11:33 Quote
In the other thread he mentioned that one guide lasted 3months with aggressive riding and it wasn't broken through yet.

I just finished my zip-tie guide too.tup

Posted: Nov 15, 2008 at 11:35 Quote
sweetsarasin wrote:
How often do you have to replace it? Like approx how long does yours last before it wears through and breaks?
yeah it depends on what grade ziptie you use the black ones have the highest tensil strength so yeah ive only had 2 replace it twice in 6 months of aggressive riding im toyin with the idea of putting some kind of roller on it 2 eliminate direct wear on the tie

Posted: Nov 15, 2008 at 12:07 Quote
pretty sweet idea. do you think it would work on a bike with 3 chain rings?

Posted: Nov 15, 2008 at 12:11 Quote
S1L3NTR4GE wrote:
sweetsarasin wrote:
yeah it depends on what grade ziptie you use the black ones have the highest tensil strength so yeah ive only had 2 replace it twice in 6 months of aggressive riding im toyin with the idea of putting some kind of roller on it 2 eliminate direct wear on the tie
I've actually seen that done before. The guy picked up a roller from an MRP guide on eBay and then ziptied it in. Not trying to burst your bubble, just telling you it's 100% possible.

Posted: Nov 15, 2008 at 12:14 Quote
geezir wrote:
S1L3NTR4GE wrote:
sweetsarasin wrote:
I've actually seen that done before. The guy picked up a roller from an MRP guide on eBay and then ziptied it in. Not trying to burst your bubble, just telling you it's 100% possible.

That would be a good idea but you would have to shave down or use a thinner tie to go through the wheel. Sounds like a good idea, I might try it when I replace the zip-tie.

Posted: Nov 15, 2008 at 12:17 Quote
rob-k wrote:
pretty sweet idea. do you think it would work on a bike with 3 chain rings?

yep. you just have to leave more slack on the ziptie then when running a single chain ring.

Posted: Nov 15, 2008 at 13:33 Quote
it flexes side 2 side enough i dont see why it wouldnt

and you can get nylon bushing at ace hardware 2 use as a roller the I.D. is like 1/4 in so im sure it would work

Posted: Nov 15, 2008 at 13:38 Quote
Has anyone experimented with this method on a fully? From your pictures it looks like you did it on a hardtail and I'm curious how well (or not well) it would work on my Coiler. It looks like it'd fit my budget too considering how many zip-ties I have lying around my house.

Posted: Nov 15, 2008 at 13:41 Quote
PedalUpBombDown wrote:
Has anyone experimented with this method on a fully? From your pictures it looks like you did it on a hardtail and I'm curious how well (or not well) it would work on my Coiler. It looks like it'd fit my budget too considering how many zip-ties I have lying around my house.
If I'm not mistaken, it's on an Imperial Frown

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.017308
Mobile Version of Website