Finding the right size rear shock?

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Finding the right size rear shock?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Nov 21, 2008 at 14:23 Quote
So i couldnt find anything in the archives, and i know someone will yell at me for not looking hard enough, but i cant figure out how to find a rear shock. I know that my bike (an 03 specialized big hit comp) has an 8.75 x 2.5 inch rear shock, that travels 6.3 inches. Im upgrading the link in the coming month, so the rear wheel can travel 8.3 inches, and instead of rebuilding the creaking shock i already have, im buying another. But what do i look for? will ANY 8.75 x 2.5 inch shock travel the 6.5 or 8.3 inches, or do is there a specific measurement that im not seeing? on the buy/sell forum here, people only list the dimensions, and not the travel.

Please help
-JR

Posted: Nov 21, 2008 at 14:59 Quote
Yes. Any 8.75x25 shock will work. But rear shocks don't have a designated "travel" only a set stroke. In this case your shock compresses a maximum of 2.5" (called the stroke), while your rear wheel moves 6.3". Your bike has a 2.5:1 leverage ratio. This means that your wheel moves 2.5 inches every 1" your shock moves. If you increase your rear travel to 8.3" (which is a very large increase) your bike will have a 3.3:1 leverage ratio. While you will increase your amount of travel, the suppleness of your rear suspension will be reduced. Remember, lower leverage ratio suspension systems will feel much more supple, whereas a higher leverage ratio will result in a much less supple ride

Posted: Nov 21, 2008 at 16:37 Quote
Wow, great answer, thanks. What do you mean by supple though?

Posted: Nov 22, 2008 at 7:44 Quote
Suppleness in a rear shock is a very desirable. If your rear suspension is supple, it means it will dampen out small bump chatter. Some bikes with high leverage ratios have a hell of a lot of travel, but will transmit small bumps through your shock and into your frame rather than absorbing it.

Posted: May 25, 2011 at 21:48 Quote
when a rear shock says 10.5 by 3.5 does the 10.5 mean how much travel you have because on the devinci wilson it has 10.5 inches of travel so does that mean it uses the 10.5 by 3.5 size shock

Posted: May 25, 2011 at 21:55 Quote
nope, the size of the shock is the eye to eye length (the physical length of the shock) and the second number is the stroke length (how much the shock actually compresses) Very rarely is the travel the same as the eye to eye on a bike.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2014. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv14 0.016212
Mobile Version of Website