Best AM Bike: Enduro vs. Reign vs. Remedy

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Best AM Bike: Enduro vs. Reign vs. Remedy
Posted: Feb 23, 2010 at 18:03 Quote
You know the Remedy is built by Giant for Trek right? You pay more for the Trek though, at least in Canada.

Posted: Feb 23, 2010 at 18:11 Quote
I know,

trek has full-floater, ABP, DRCV (2010), E2 headtube, and just because a company makes frames for another company doesn't mean that the company making the frame is generally better then the frames they are making that aren't being sold as bikes by them,

it's about the design, nowadays almost all frames are made properly, so who made it doesn't really matter, it's who designed at that matters, and that is TREK

Posted: Feb 23, 2010 at 18:24 Quote
Trekalways wrote:
I know,

trek has full-floater, ABP, DRCV (2010), E2 headtube, and just because a company makes frames for another company doesn't mean that the company making the frame is generally better then the frames they are making that aren't being sold as bikes by them,

it's about the design, nowadays almost all frames are made properly, so who made it doesn't really matter, it's who designed at that matters, and that is TREK

Different strokes I guess I had a a Remedy 7 demo as well as trance x, reign xo and reign o. The Lyrik on the remedy was good but the back rode stiff. Too XC oriented for around here. The Maestros all have a plusher feel and better traction on the stutters than the ADP for my size anyway.

I didn't get to ride the 9.9 demo but will get a crack at it this year. I guess you didn't know about all the broken Trek seat and chain stays this year then? No broken Maestro rears around here though.

Posted: Feb 23, 2010 at 18:48 Quote
davemud wrote:
You know the Remedy is built by Giant for Trek right? You pay more for the Trek though, at least in Canada.

Should read "You know the Remedy is built by Giant as per Trek's specs/design". Just because Giant fabricates frames for a few companies does not mean that Giant is the better choice all the time. There are various frame designs that are different than what Giant offers in their lineup that are arguably just as good if not better. It all depends on which design the rider prefers and feels suits his needs.

Posted: Feb 23, 2010 at 18:59 Quote
pipes10 wrote:
davemud wrote:

Should read "You know the Remedy is built by Giant as per Trek's specs/design". Just because Giant fabricates frames for a few companies does not mean that Giant is the better choice all the time. There are various frame designs that are different than what Giant offers in their lineup that are arguably just as good if not better. It all depends on which design the rider prefers and feels suits his needs.

You did see I said for my size right, and where we live and ride has a lot to do with it too. Here the bikes need to lean towards extremly rugged steep terrain. As I've said other places it also has to do with fit. Giant mediums, any model fit me perfectly and suit my style. That certainly won't be the case for everyone.

Personaly I don't really see the big deal with ADP but to each his own.

Posted: Feb 23, 2010 at 19:03 Quote
I posted in reference to the original post in which I referenced. There was no mention of anything other than "Giant makes Treks".

Posted: Feb 23, 2010 at 19:15 Quote
Its a given Trek designs their own bikes as far as I'm concerned. If I had meant desined and/or'spec's as well I would have said that. Giant doe however design frames and components for some of the other companies they manufacture for too.

Since I can pro deal Trek, Giant and Norco I was going to get a Remedy before I rode them all.

Posted: Feb 23, 2010 at 19:44 Quote
Found this thread late but will still put in my 2 cents.

I bought my teenage daughter a 2009 Remedy 8 at the start of last season. An awesome all mountain bike! Bike is a great climber and due to the design and components comes down the hills fast and in control. She truly loves the bike.

The bike has seen trails in Kananaskis country and downhill at Panorama, Silver Star, Fernie and Whistler. No flats, no breakdowns. I am over 200 pounds and am a more aggressive rider so the bike would not have enough suspension for me but the Remedy 8 is perfect for her.

My daughter's downhill skills have improved considerably so for 2010 we'll put on more aggressive tires for when we are down hilling.

Posted: Feb 23, 2010 at 19:53 Quote
LOL, nice dad! You really can't go wrong with any of these bikes from the big brands. The only way to go wrong is to buy the wrong type of bike for the riding you usually do.

The biggest mistake I think are those who buy something like a Glory to ride Whistler a few days a year and the rest of the time locally. No double crank and restricted manouverability wit the triple crown on the trail. Being a just sub 38 pound DH bike not really intended as a hucker either.

I get people in the shop wanting to do that often enough.

O+
Posted: Feb 23, 2010 at 20:43 Quote
davemud wrote:
LOL, nice dad! You really can't go wrong with any of these bikes from the big brands. The only way to go wrong is to buy the wrong type of bike for the riding you usually do.

The biggest mistake I think are those who buy something like a Glory to ride Whistler a few days a year and the rest of the time locally. No double crank and restricted manouverability wit the triple crown on the trail. Being a just sub 38 pound DH bike not really intended as a hucker either.

I get people in the shop wanting to do that often enough.

Agreed. But it is true for the other way too. I went with a Fuel EX over the Remedy. The fuel is a great trail bike that climbs awesome... but I hate having to hold back on descents. I would way rather pedal a heavier bike up if it meant I could have more fun on the way down. I'm now scheming on one of these three bikes for next year.

Posted: Feb 23, 2010 at 20:44 Quote
Go Enduro 2010.Drool

Posted: Feb 24, 2010 at 15:09 Quote
go reign!!! i love giant.... ridden a reign amd enduro. reign wins hands down... takes big hits

Posted: Feb 25, 2010 at 13:24 Quote
Around here people typically buy bigger than they really need but at the prices we buy at its important to look at where we are going with our riding over 2 to 3 seasons and buy for that rather than think only about where we are today.

This year I was thinking about getting a Faith but its not available to me. Originally I thought Reign X0 but too expensive. Really since I don't want 3 bikes it would be either a Reign X1 or the SX with a Hammerschmidt... that would be coolio!

O+
Posted: Sep 22, 2010 at 17:23 Quote
me to i search a great aggressive AM and i hesitate between remedy 7 with lyric u-turn or giant reign x1.

thanks for your awnser

Posted: Sep 22, 2010 at 17:48 Quote
i am in love with the covert from transition bike wath a sweet ride
hope to get one ....

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.040628
Mobile Version of Website